Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Share your In-Store experience

This is just one of the features that I just love about this device. It not only separtes it from the other e-readers but adds an element of enjoyment and gives us a reason to still go back to the book store. Hopefully something that will never go out of fashion.

Well anywho here is my latest, My wife and I went in on Sunday to get the Free Book coupon for Nook owners, the author was someone whom my wife loves.

Love the fact that as soon as you walk in it recognizes your B&N. We sat and browsed around the "More in Store" I read the hour time limit of The Dark Tower II, used our Nook only coupon for a dessert at the Star Bucks cafe. I mean how cool is that.

Browsed through some more Free e-books, and I might add that I am very thankful for the color book art cover flow feature. There were a few books that sounded interesting that I would have downloaded until I saw the cover with a Fabio like guy on the cover

My wife used the Nook People magaize coupon, I bought and old Stephen King -Desparation book for like $7. I will still buy actual books from time to time. It will always be my first love.

I just love this thing. It really makes it more than just another gadget.
IMHO the Best e-reader on the market.

So please share your in-store experience.

Last edited by boswd; 05-28-2010 at 07:17 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
The staff is enthusiastic about the nook at my BN. One clerk manning the nook booth had just bought one herself and was actually a little over the top about it.

Two weeks ago I got the free 7 layer bar and the code for the Ladies' Detective Agency book. Last week I went without my nook and got the most recent free book. The promo said to bring in your device but the clerk didn't question that I hadn't.

So far I haven't tried the 'read in the store' feature. I'm getting library books for free anyway so that seems like overkill.

The downside is that there are no accessories in the store except for a flowery patterned sleeve that I don't want.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for chiming in. Yeah I have two B&N near my home and one in downtown Boston, the two near my home said accesories will be coming in this summer. The B&N in downtown had almost everything. They had a really nice selection. I got my cover from them.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
drjamba
drjamba began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
My wife and I had a Nook date last Friday at a BN near our house. We went there to look at covers. She wanted to "feel them up" and compare them to what was available online. I wanted to see what would happen. It took my Nook a little longer to display the B&N icon that indicated I was physically present at the store, but, once it did, the world opened up.

I saw the 7-layer dessert bar offer (wasn't hungry), and had already taken the free book offer. But I wanted to try the read-in-store function. Boy, this is a great way to get people to buy more books! I wound up reading the first chapters of "The Blind Side" and a "chick" book. I don't think I reached the 1-hour limit so I was never bumped off a book, but, the chick book's first chapter was truncated, which to me was a signal that it was time to go home; that and my wife wanted to leave anyway.

When I got home, I looked at my Nook's library listing and saw that the chick book was listed as buy now. I didn't want to buy it and it took a couple of tries to remove it from my library. The Lewis book never left itself on my Nook, so my guess is that the last "read-in-store" book you read is the one left on your Nook, teasing you into buying it.

All-in-all, a positive experience. Our problem is that the two BN stores near us are not really that close. I will likely not repeat the In-store experience anytime soon, possibly once a month (for the desserts, of course!).

DrJamba
I prefer to be called Evil Genius
drjamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjamba View Post
When I got home, I looked at my Nook's library listing and saw that the chick book was listed as buy now. I didn't want to buy it and it took a couple of tries to remove it from my library.
Mr. Evil Genius:

Based on your description of the truncated chapter, I'm wondering if maybe you downloaded the book sample, rather than just "read for an hour" (and I don't have a Nook, so I don't know how the read for an hour thing works).

But whenever I download samples from B&N.com, the sample is listed in my library with a Buy Now button.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
robslp
Enthusiast
robslp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 3, Nook, Android Razr, Fire, Transformer Prime.
I went into the store yesterday for my second visit. Last week when I went in someone was working at the Nook desk and was very friendly and helpful. She said she loved my M-edge cover and light and may get one for her Nook. She told me all about the special offers. I got my 7 layer bar and downloaded some of the free books offered.

Yesterday, there was nobody at the Nook desk, but the coupons were left out. I got my 7 layer bar from the cafe and then started reading a book for 30 min. free. That is a great feature. I didn't see any free in store downloads like last week. So, I have had two great experiences and look forword to my next visit.
robslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by robslp View Post
I went into the store yesterday for my second visit. Last week when I went in someone was working at the Nook desk and was very friendly and helpful. She said she loved my M-edge cover and light and may get one for her Nook. She told me all about the special offers. I got my 7 layer bar and downloaded some of the free books offered.

Yesterday, there was nobody at the Nook desk, but the coupons were left out. I got my 7 layer bar from the cafe and then started reading a book for 30 min. free. That is a great feature. I didn't see any free in store downloads like last week. So, I have had two great experiences and look forword to my next visit.
Can you get a free 7 layer bar everytime you go to the store?
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
robslp
Enthusiast

I went in the store the first and second week and got a 7 layer bar both times.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Thanks for the inputs, yeah it sounds like people are like me and enjoying this fun feature. Hopefully the 7 layer bar is a permanant special that would good
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
drjamba
drjamba began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Mr. Evil Genius:

Based on your description of the truncated chapter, I'm wondering if maybe you downloaded the book sample, rather than just "read for an hour" (and I don't have a Nook, so I don't know how the read for an hour thing works).

But whenever I download samples from B&N.com, the sample is listed in my library with a Buy Now button.
Anything is possible, I will admit that. And as I recall, there was a book with a "Buy Now" link that I removed right after discovering it.

Now that we're in a new month, there might be a new goodie at the cafe. Time to go back!
drjamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
robslp
Enthusiast

I just got back from my weekly visit to the BN store. No more 7 layer bars. They do have a coupon for 10% something in the store and that with my Barnes and Noble card was a nice discount off my daughter's book.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I just took my Nook into the store for the first time today. I had trouble connecting to the "more in store", so I went up to the counter to ask about it. In the course of backing out and reconnecting (it took about four tries) the man at the desk asked about my Decal Girl skin so I directed him to the website and he's going to talk to his district manager about retailing Nook skins in the store. The store I was at does not sell the device at this time, but they are going to be getting accessories in soon.

Once I was connected I took advantage of the read free for a while but left without purchasing anything. Next time I'll go on a weekday though because this particular B&N was packed and I had to wander for awhile before I could score a chair to read in.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I spent a couple of hours there today buying the Chesterton case and reading some books with the free read in store feature until my hour was up. Everything worked great as far as the read in store feature, but since the 10% off coupon doesn't work on ebooks or nook accessories it wasn't any use for me. I'll probably read there awhile tomorrow and pick up next weeks free book. Luckily I have a store 10 minutes away so driving there is not a big chore.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
When I went to get this week's free book the manager was carrying a sign that said basically show us the book you are reading on your nook and get a free cup of coffee. I didn't actually see the sign posted in the store so maybe that promotion is coming up soon.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
icedragon
icedragon began at the beginning.

Hi, I'm new in these forums, and I just want to say, I love my Nook!

However, I do have two main complaints relating to my In-store experience--and wonder if anyone else has these problems as well.

1) At one B&N, it can take me up to 5-10 minutes before my Nook recognizes that I'm In Store (the other B&N in town seems to be a lot quicker, so I wonder if it has to do with the one store's connection? Though my wife also has a Nook, and she seems to be able to connect a lot faster in that store than I can).
2) With the Read in Store, when we go to the B&N where I can connect immediately, and we both start reading in store, we get very minimal time. I realize that both my wife and I use the same account, but still, we should both be able to read for half an hour to equal the one hour per day read in store time. However, if we are both reading, we only get about 15 minutes of read in store, to equal 30 minutes. <--I hope that makes sense.

I have heard from a B&N associate that the next update MAY be coming in about a month with an attempted fix for some wifi issues with the Nook.
icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote