Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Before I click the "Add to cart" button

Wow, there sure is a lot of information about the iLiad here!

However, I am having difficulty finding the specific information I want.

All of my books are in HTML, XML or RTF formats and contain mostly text.
The majority do not contain images and therefore do not have additional folders containing images attached to them. They mostly consist of one file only.
I do not like PDF because of the large file size associated with it (PDF files are a bunch of images right?)

I am very fussy as to the appearance and format of my books as I read them.
I would like to know if they will appear on the iLiad as originally formatted or will they have broken lines and broken paragraphs etc. Will Bold, Italics, Centering be retained? And also, will I be able to increase the font size on the iLiad?

My finger is waiting to click that "Add to cart" button.

Thank you
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I am very fussy as to the appearance and format of my books as I read them.
I would like to know if they will appear on the iLiad as originally formatted or will they have broken lines and broken paragraphs etc. Will Bold, Italics, Centering be retained? And also, will I be able to increase the font size on the iLiad?
the formatting for xhtml, rtf on the iliad will be the same, since the iliad has a dedicated html viewer (minimo, if i remeber correctly)

you can upload some samples and i'll shoot some pics of how the iliad displays your content
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Your html and xml books will be fine on the iLiad.

rtf is a bit more of a problem, as it will been to be converted. But there are free convertors for rtf to html.

However, having played with them recently they do seem to bloat the file with unnessessary gumph. Which bugs me, even though it's not "visable" on the device.

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

>you can upload some samples and i'll shoot some pics of how the iliad >displays your content

Thanks VVOi666 - here is one sample.
Attached Files
File Type: zip E.F. Benson - Queen Lucia (HTML).zip (187.4 KB, 446 views)
Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
I do not like PDF because of the large file size associated with it (PDF files are a bunch of images right?)
Depends. A PDF page can be nothing but an image, but it can equally well
by a series of typesetting instructions: put an 'A', then an 'n' then an 'd' ... and so on.

PDF based on images tend to be bulky, but other PDF's are fairly decent as regard space.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
vvoi666
Zealot

not quite content with the focus, yet. i'll figure that out some day.

here is your sample html file on the iliad (no conversion, whatsoever). you may want to add some margins to the left and right. the cut off lines at the top and bottom might be from the viewer not supporting pages, yet. i think they promised that for the next vesion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	849.4 KB
ID:	1263   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	1264   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	970.8 KB
ID:	1265  
Old 07-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Moonraker
Addict

Quote:
here is your sample html file on the iliad (no conversion, whatsoever). you may want to add some margins to the left and right. the cut off lines at the top and bottom might be from the viewer not supporting pages, yet. i think they promised that for the next vesion.
Many thanks for your quick reply
The left and right margins were both set at "0" on the original HTML file so that is easily remedied.
However, I can't see what I can do with the top and bottom margins.
As you say, if this problem will be addressed in the next release then I am seriously considering clicking that "add to cart" button.

Thank you very much
Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
The answer is "it depends": PDF is a very flexible file format.

If you took, say, a word document and created a PDF from it using one of the many PDF printer drivers out there, then the answer is no. The PDF file actually contains the text of your document and the instructions a PDF reader needs to reconstruct the formatting of the page. Sometimes you read about programs that can convert PDFs back to text; they work by extracting the text portion of the file.

Now the Sony Libre had a PDF convertor that did convert a PDF file to a bunch of images, because the Libre itself did not have a native PDF reader. But that was not a limitation of the PDF format, but of the Libre.

If the author of the PDF file is smart he can create a 'tagged' PDF file, which allows the text to be reformatted on the fly (or 'reflow' as they call it). Except for a few commercial fiction books, I've never seen this used.

In my case I do have PDF files that are all images; scans of old magazines and paperbacks with damaged binding that I wanted to keep, but didn't want to spend the time and effort to do OCR on them. I'm bullish on PDF for this type of application, but for books which are just straight up text I'm HTML all the way just for reasons of file size, accessibility, and ease of conversion to other formats if necessary.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
If the author of the PDF file is smart he can create a 'tagged' PDF file, which allows the text to be reformatted on the fly (or 'reflow' as they call it). Except for a few commercial fiction books, I've never seen this used.
A lot of the free e-books at PlanetPDF are offered as tagged PDF files.
Has anybody tried those on the Iliad?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
vvoi666
Zealot

Quote:
However, I can't see what I can do with the top and bottom margins.
As you say, if this problem will be addressed in the next release then I am seriously considering clicking that "add to cart" button.
yupp, from the software update thread -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6993

July/August features
Software version 2.5

Hotspot support
Apabi format (in Asia only)
"Re-open" a file on last read page
TEMPORARILY POSTPONED. Support for an E-Book DRM format (to be announced soon)
Page-break support in HTML (instead of scrolling)
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moonraker:

Seriously _PRESS IT_

Despite minor niggles (which you will know about if you have been reading the threads on the board) it is one of the most gorgeous pieces of kit I have ever laid my hands on.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Moonraker
Addict

Whooo-hooo I pressed that button.

I have order number 1005.

I am going on holiday on 12th September - I just hope it arrives beforehand.

Does anyone know how long we have to wait for delivery ?

Thanks to everyone.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They seem to be running 4~6 weeks at the moment
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
Riocaz

They are claiming 3-5 weeks atm.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:46 AM   #15
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo
A lot of the free e-books at PlanetPDF are offered as tagged PDF files.
Tagging doesn't change the text in any way: if you run a tagged text (thus, is based on PDF 1.4) thorugh a reader that follows PDF 1.3, it will still work. The reader will just not be looking for the extra structures that contain the tagging information.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote