Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Arrow Reverse Engineering Whispersync

Hi all,

Now that the new Kindle Paperwhite no longer supports Text-To-Speech, and Amazon has yet to integrate TTS into the Android app, I've been debating on attempting to reverse engineer the Whispersync protocol so that I can either:
  1. Make a draft reader for Android that does TTS and Whispersync or..
  2. Run a home-grown Whispersync server and then DNS spoof a rooted Kindle and Android phone to use it

Before I start down the road of spoofing certs and MITM'ing I wanted to check in and see if anyone has attempted this before and how it went.

If I get no response that deters me, I'll use this thread as a progress map for where I get.

Thanks,
Ben

*EDIT*
I will likely replace option A with incorporating the code into Cool Reader, an open source reader for Android that already supports TTS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/ | https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...org.coolreader

Last edited by Fmstrat; 01-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
Hi all,

Now that the new Kindle Paperwhite no longer supports Text-To-Speech, and Amazon has yet to integrate TTS into the Android app, I've been debating on attempting to reverse engineer the Whispersync protocol so that I can either:
  1. Make a draft reader for Android that does TTS and Whispersync or..
  2. Run a home-grown Whispersync server and then DNS spoof a rooted Kindle and Android phone to use it

Before I start down the road of spoofing certs and MITM'ing I wanted to check in and see if anyone has attempted this before and how it went.

If I get no response that deters me, I'll use this thread as a progress map for where I get.

Thanks,
Ben

*EDIT*
I will likely replace option A with incorporating the code into Cool Reader, an open source reader for Android that already supports TTS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/ | https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...org.coolreader
Honestly, I doubt that Amazon would appreciate you using their whispernet service... Something similar has been done with getting the lists for books available in the store... I'll try and find the link....

What Kindle model?

EDIT: Closest thing I could find: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174403
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Honestly, I doubt that Amazon would appreciate you using their whispernet service... Something similar has been done with getting the lists for books available in the store... I'll try and find the link....

What Kindle model?

EDIT: Closest thing I could find: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174403
Wow, this is exactly what I was looking to accomplish and then some. I'll be trying this on a Paperwhite and Android device (see 1st post). Awesomely helpful, thanks.

Ben
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You'll probably have to run a MITM server which intercepts all your traffic with Amazon. As pwr posted, there already exists a similar project constrained to the Kindle Store. I'm *very* interested to see your results concerning Whispersync (or Amazon communications, in general), but I'm afraid that you will have to apply a similar MITM method, and that it will be quite some work. I'm looking forward to your results!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, whispersync