Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Best Buy in your area?

How is the Best Buy in your area in regards to the Nook and other e-readers for that matter.

The one near me is horrendous. The Sony and the Nook are stationed tucked way in the back by the refridgerators, while all the Apple Products get's the in your face spots right when you walk in.

For giggles I asked a rep if you could walk me through the different e-readers and the pros and cons of them. He had no clue and pawned me off on a couple of other people who tried to pass themselves off as knowledgable. Well that went out the window when I asked them about e-pub and they both gave me the "e-What" look?

I would hate to paint a wide brush of Best Buy and my experience but me thinks it may not have been the best choice of Barnes and Noble to choose to branch off into.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
DuoYuy12
DuoYuy12 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook
The Best Buy that I bought my nook from in New Hampshire was pretty bad too. They had the e-readers tucked away in some random corner that I had to ask an employee to even find. I was moving from my prs-505 to either nook or Daily Edition, and the research I had done at home convinced me that the nook was probably more what I was looking for. I really just wanted to see them both before making a decision. I pretty much knew what I was looking for when I went in so I didn't have any questions, but while I was playing around with the display model another employee brought someone over who wanted to know the difference between the Sonys and the Nook. The employee had no clue , so when he walked away I helped the man out by explaining the pros and cons of each. He said I was way more helpful than the employee. Its really too bad that Best Buy hasn't given its employees even a basic understanding of these devices
DuoYuy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
While I agree that there probably should be at least a basic level of knowledge on the part of at least some of the employees at Best Buy, there really was not a better brick and mortar store for Barnes and Nobel to branch out to. I would be willing to bet that Target and Walmart employees are not any more versed. If you were a consumer that did not know where you would find an ebook reading device, where would you check first? I think most people that want an electronic device would assume that Best Buy would have them. Finally, since Best Buy does actually have ebook readers, if someone went there to go there to get one without researching the subject they may just decide to buy one that is available there. By placing the nook at Best Buy, Barnes and Nobel gets to tap into this market.

On a side note, I never expect the employees at electronics stores to know detailed information about a product at any level of competence and I am only rarely surprised. I am usually happy if they just don't try to bs their way through and tell me when they do not know something.
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote