Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PRS-600 keeps wanting to Install ebook library

Even though I have ebook library 3 installed, every time I plug my PRS-600 in it keeps wanting to install it again. I have tried to delete the ebook libray files from the reader folder that contains them but the are protected. Any help please?
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
No suggestions but mine does this too on my Windows computer. Seems to be fine on my Mac.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Right. I have a Mac, so it's not presently annoying me.. though I do see it in the Finder and I'd rather have it not there than there.

It currently is not bothering me enough, though my inclination is to go into Disk Utility and delete the LAUNCHER partition. Not sure if this does anything bad, though. Windows has a similar function to the Disk Utility, in the Control Panel somewhere. PERHAPS resetting the device would save you in the case that deleting the partition was a bad decision.. though I'm not sure.
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Mikesbook
Enthusiast

Yes - the Autoplay and the installer programme are in a unique partition on the prs-600 reader called "Launcher" when viewed in windows explorer on the PC. These files are protected in some way. Even when I remove the "read only" property they will not delete and hence every time I plug the reader in, it "Autoplays" the ebook library installer programme.
I have uninstalled the Ebook Library 3 and let the re-install be done by the prs-600 just in case the reader itself somehow could remove the "autoplay" after the install but that did not solve it.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesbook View Post
I have uninstalled the Ebook Library 3 and let the re-install be done by the prs-600 just in case the reader itself somehow could remove the "autoplay" after the install but that did not solve it.
Thank you for testing that... saved me the time to do it as well.

Outside of disablying autoplay in the PC there is no solution then... time to post on the Sony support forum.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Ruka
I dream in turn-based.
Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
I posted this in Zelda's thread, and she asked me to post it here. (It does seem more appropriate for this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruka View Post
Okay, after a week of frustration with the auto-launching/auto-install partition, I sat here and figured out how to disable this read-only partition. I don't have the Sony software installed, as I use Calibre exclusively.

This does not require disabling a drive letter.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, and I own the PRS-300.

First, open "Computer", and then right-click your reader's drive letter. Left-click "properties". You're presented with a series of tabs. Click the "Hardware" tab. Choose "Sony PRS-XXX Launcher USB Device", then click the "Properties" button. This opens a new window, with a new series of tabs. Click the "Driver" tab, and finally click the "Disable" button. Finally, you will be required to reboot your computer. This disables only the Launcher partition driver, and does not interfere with normal USB operation of the device.
Ruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Mikesbook
Enthusiast

Thanks Ruka - I have replied in Zelda's thread.