Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #166
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi Rogerpiano!
I am too very interesting by imrovement of Obuntu. Battery indicator is really necessary.
Do you have information about my last post :
- improvement concerning the grayscale of the screen
- new calibration of the pen

Thanks a lot !
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #167
Ozmopolite
Ozmopolite began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Amazing to even more amazing?

Hi all,

I've been using my m92 to read pdfs, but with the onyx os. I really like it, but to use obuntu could be amazing really. Even before installing it, genuine thanks for seaniko7 and also for hickathmoc for your work!

I tried to follow the discussion, but I did not yet find whether the sd-card is only for installing or whether it is also to use as a hard drive? I was thinking of using the sd card of my camera, but I need it in it as well..

Another question related with hickathmoc's writings - how is the pdf-reading program for linux.. xournal? Much better than the one in ready in onyx? I use my m92 actually only for reading pdfs.

Thanks! Greetings from Rio, O.

PS. Are there going to be those improvements with regard to rotation, battery indication etc.?
Ozmopolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #168
EinkYES
EinkYES began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96 (Boxtoor edition)
Obuntu on the M96

seaniko7!

You are a GOD! thanks for all of your hard work on this! and a huge thanks to all the folks contributing advice on this particular forum!

So I have just purchased an Oynx Boox M96 (Boxtoor edition) and it should be here in a few weeks.

My Question to Seaniko7 and the community is.....

Will this work on a M96?

I noticed the M92 and M96 processors different but they are still both ARM... So it should work right?
EinkYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #169
jonathan_s
Enthusiast
jonathan_s began at the beginning.

Device: none
Accessing M92's internal memory

Hello all,

A very nice project I must say. It's taken me a while to get around to playing with it.

One question I have is whether it is possible for the M92 running Obuntu to access the internal flash memory. I would have expected it to appear as /dev/mmcblkXpY, but only the SD card is visible in that way. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
jonathan_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #170
laborkim
laborkim began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox M92
For only pdf_files, Just M92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmopolite View Post
Hi all,

I've been using my m92 to read pdfs, but with the onyx os. I really like it, but to use obuntu could be amazing really. Even before installing it, genuine thanks for seaniko7 and also for hickathmoc for your work!

I tried to follow the discussion, but I did not yet find whether the sd-card is only for installing or whether it is also to use as a hard drive? I was thinking of using the sd card of my camera, but I need it in it as well..

Another question related with hickathmoc's writings - how is the pdf-reading program for linux.. xournal? Much better than the one in ready in onyx? I use my m92 actually only for reading pdfs.

Thanks! Greetings from Rio, O.

PS. Are there going to be those improvements with regard to rotation, battery indication etc.?
I am interested in Obuntu. But reading pdf_files on 'Obuntu' is not good.

M92 is the best one for pdf_files, and obuntu is a half than M92 for pdf_files.
laborkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #171
tqk
Linux User
tqk began at the beginning.

Source

Was the source code to Obuntu ever published anywhere? Currently, I can find an Obuntu directory on Github, but it seems to be empty.
tqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #172
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

@tqk

I don't know. See page 10 of this thread for seaniko7's own account of his intentions.

Some of the earlier instructions relating to installing the preview images directed one to this repository which isn't empty, for the uImage:

https://github.com/intromatyk/public_kernel/tree/iMX508

I could never find it there, but, like yourself, I've only arrived on the scene comparatively late. It turns up in the latest image in the downloadable tar archive which has the boot loader. Since the instructions were progressively revised during the development of the images, these links aren't very visible any more.

I only installed Obuntu a couple of weeks ago. The only real problem I've had, which is admittedly a significant one given the dependence of linux package managers on an internet connection, is the loading of the wireless firmware which fails during the boot.

I'm still trying to sort this out, if anyone has found a solution to this particular problem.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #173
tqk
Linux User

It seems strange that the wireless wouldn't work for you, when presumably you have the same hardware as the other users, who don't seem to have encountered the problem.

Other users have complained about not being able to check the battery life, though it's not clear to me if they mean that they can't read the remaining value in any way, or if it's just that the predicted time remaining changes erratically (which I would expect given the power usage of e-ink). Could you comment on this? Also, I don't think anyone has actually timed what the battery life is.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #174
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Yes - I was a bit surprised myself. Although it does not seem to be an unknown problem for this wireless chipset. It would seem to be some sort of timing issue possibly relating to the SD card that I'm booting off. I've tried two thus far both SanDisk Class 10s and have had the same problem with both. So I could try installing Obunto on the M92 itself. I haven't tried that yet.

Nor do I know which config file governs the boot sequence but just giving it a bit more time might also be a solution which seems to have worked in some cases. A USB hub seems to work so next I'll probably try attaching another wireless adapter to it. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem as the Onyx software detects wireless networks. So there are still quite a few options open to me, which I'll keep progressing through.

I haven't spent any time at all on the battery indicator issue as it isn't a big part of my intended use, certainly at this point, to use the M92 as a mobile device. My intended use seems similar to seaniko7's, who uses the M92 to develop on. So I usually have it plugged in.

Obunto is incomplete and under-developed in certain respects as should be apparent from this thread. But I will say that, if one can accept the inevitably shortfalls of such e-ink devices, it opens up remarkable possibilities that were before simply not really intended or possible for them such as that mentioned above. It should also be apparent that most of the people posting in this thread (including myself) aren't particularly well placed to address the shortfalls in its current state of development. It all depends on what use one has for it and one's capacity and willingness to adapt it to one's needs.

I haven't really seen any indication of what the usual battery life of the M92 is like (for instance, on these forums), let alone running Obuntu. I presume the immediate problem (from the posts in this thread) is that there just is no battery level indicator. I haven't seen one, although I haven't really looked for one either. I have no idea as to how difficult it would be to add one and for it to work adequately.

Last edited by Wong McGregor; 02-26-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #175
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wong McGregor View Post
I haven't really seen any indication of what the usual battery life of the M92 is like (for instance, on these forums)
From my memory : 76 (or 78 ?) hours with the Wifi active used but not continuously with the standard firmware.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #176
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
From my memory : 76 (or 78 ?) hours with the Wifi active used but not continuously with the standard firmware.
Thanks. Well that is certainly a lot better than my aging laptop with all three batteries. Perhaps a key to Obuntu's relative performance would be the reflesh rate the current state of which and future prospects for which seaniko7 has discussed a bit, although not, as I remember, in relation to battery life. There is also the requirement, if one is using a USB hub, that it be powered.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #177
tqk
Linux User

If you run
Quote:
cat /proc/apm
or
Quote:
apm -v
in Obuntu while not plugged into a power source, what results do you get? (These commands are meant to check the battery.)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #178
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

Thanks for the interesting suggestions. Alas, the output is a bit less interesting.

Quote:
apm -v
APM BIOS 1.2 (Kernel driver 1.13)
Off-line, battery status critical: 0% (0:00:00)
Quote:
cat /proc/apm
1.13 1.2 0x02 0x00 0x02 0x02 0% 0 min
While attached to power source (charging):

Quote:
apm -v
APM BIOS 1.2 (Kernel driver 1.13)
On-line, battery charging: 0% (0:00:00)
While we are posting output, my wireless firmware problem:

Quote:
dmesg | more

ath6k/AR6003/hw2.1.1/athwlan.bin firmware will be loaded
Timeout waiting for recv message
Target debug interrupt
ar6000_target_failure: target asserted
AR6K: Location of register dump data: 0x544118
AR6K: Register dump:

Target Not Available!!!
ar6000_avail: ar6000_init
Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #179
tqk
Linux User

As you might have already found yourself by searching, your wireless problem might be similar to that described at http://androidforums.com/threads/hel.../#post-6104456. Perhaps you could solve it the same way (though probably the file paths would be a bit different for you).
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #180
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

Thanks - yes I found that one. It's nice and practical, although as you say for the wrong operating system. I did have a brief look for something similar, which is why I mentioned the config files, but couldn't find anything. It would probably just require some knowledge of the Ubuntu boot process.

There are two others which stand out in terms of their greater detail. Parts of them are clearly over my head, but both seem to lean in the same direction:

https://community.freescale.com/thread/312821

http://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/i...Fi_Integration

The latter discusses such problems (and supposedly their solution although I can't see it) at the bottom of the page. I was hoping to take another look at it today but didn't get very far and I have a busy week ahead so I suspect I am just going to have to keep tinkering.