Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
bob1337
bob1337 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
5.12.3 Way to fix jailbreak manually when mntroot is working?

Hi,

I jailbroke my PW (2015) years ago.
Unfortunately it got multiple OTA Updates.
As I did not use it much I don't remember exactly if and what Hotfixes I've applied or how I made the jailbreak safe.
I have an entry in my list for KUAL, but I can't open it (could not be started... please retry).

I played around with it for a bit and found out, that using emergency.sh I can mount root rw and copy files to it. From my understanding this should be enough to get it into a working state.
I tried copying the keystore and the pem file to the correct location in hopes to be able to start KUAL but it didn't work.
I also tried to install it via bin files but I was either unable to select the update or the update failed.

I really tried to find a way to do this myself but couldn't and I didn't find something in the forum (maybe I wasn't searching for the correct phrases).

It would be nice if you could give me a hint on what I'm missing or an idea on how to go on.

Thanks in advance.
bob1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
c.f. this.

You'll most likely want to skip over the ;log bit and jump straight to the "reboot" step, as you won't have a working ;log command.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 01:48 AM   #3
bob1337

Hi, thanks for your help.

emergency_bridge ran fine, at least the files are gone from USB Root.
But I can't install the jailbreak hotflix via ukf (error 007) nor through pressing power button for 30 seconds (error 4) or through ";log mrpi" (which I am not sure if its working in this state).

Could files in the USB Root be an issue? Maybe there are leftovers from previous jailbreaks?
Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Get me some system logs (;dm), and in the meantime, you can try the hotfix again via UYK after a reboot.

Sidebar: a cold boot never has and never will accept a custom package, so, that's not news .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-18-2020 at 02:01 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #5
bob1337

Wow okay I ran ";dm" and also tried UYK after a reboot and it worked!
I could also install KUAL through UYK and the Screensaver hack through KUAL -> Install MR Packages
Thank you so much!

The only weird thing that is left is that the old KUAL entry remains.
Instead of the reading progress dots it shows "Device".
Any hints on how I could get rid of that (It's not critical)?
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1337 View Post
The only weird thing that is left is that the old KUAL entry remains.
Instead of the reading progress dots it shows "Device".
Any hints on how I could get rid of that (It's not critical)?
In terminal
Code:
cd /var/local
sqlite3 cc.db 'update entries set p_isvisibleinhome=0 where p_location="/mnt/us/documents/KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2"'
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
bob1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
In terminal
Code:
cd /var/local
sqlite3 cc.db 'update entries set p_isvisibleinhome=0 where p_location="/mnt/us/documents/KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2"'
Thanks for your help, that worked nicely!