Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
reb1
reb1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Text format and how to use

I read somewhere that the Cybook Gen3 supports text. I read books on my palm from Gutenberg. Will I be able to do this with the Cybook Gen3.
reb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb1 View Post
I read somewhere that the Cybook Gen3 supports text. I read books on my palm from Gutenberg. Will I be able to do this with the Cybook Gen3.
With the Cybook, you will be able to download formatted books from here in Mobipocket format. And yes, you can read the text and HTMl from PG.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the Cybook, you will be able to download formatted books from here in Mobipocket format. And yes, you can read the text and HTMl from PG.
Absolutely correct! And you can choose from several fonts and font sizes to customize how the text displays in .txt. (As well as mobi.)

I haven't really experimented with the Font Family and Font Size options under HTML.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mobi handles text, but it does nothing "smart" with the line breaks, so you end up with breaks in funny places.

As a minimum, it's a good idea to use one of the many methods available to remove line breaks.

HTML is a much better choice, if available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
reb1

The twenty thousand or so ebooks at the Gutenberg and Gutenberg Australia web sites are available in both text an HTML. Thank you for the response on this subject. Does the cybook use a sink cable or do you transfer books using the memory card.
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are many PG books not available as HTML - especially the older ones. The ones which are being produced today are generally posted as both text and HTML.

The CyBook works on any modern o/s as a USB "mass storage device" via a sync cable. It also has an SD memory card slot.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mobi handles text, but it does nothing "smart" with the line breaks, so you end up with breaks in funny places.

As a minimum, it's a good idea to use one of the many methods available to remove line breaks.

HTML is a much better choice, if available.
That's why I like E-Book Tidy. It's small of footprint and it's free! Works well enough for my needs. What it doesn't get on the run-through I can manually edit.

Derek
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are many PG books not available as HTML - especially the older ones. The ones which are being produced today are generally posted as both text and HTML.

The CyBook works on any modern o/s as a USB "mass storage device" via a sync cable. It also has an SD memory card slot.
Not only does it use both the USB cable and the SD card, my Cybook is quite happy using a simple Sandisk 4GB SD card. No hassles whatsoever with the large size of the card. I must point out it's not one of those SDHC cards.

Derek
Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hi Derek,

As you may have read, the issue of SD cards has been discussed at length in the Sony Reader forum. Apparently, the way SD cards work changes above 2GB, and unless the device specifically supports the larger format, it may appear to work, but won't be able to access more than 2GB of data on the card. That's what happens on the Sony Reader - a 4GB card is recognised, but if you try to put more than 2GB of data on it, the files you add above 2GB don't show up. It's possible that the CyBook is the same, unless Bookeen specifically support the newer cards.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
iamcanadian
iamcanadian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Not only does it use both the USB cable and the SD card, my Cybook is quite happy using a simple Sandisk 4GB SD card.

Are you sure it's a Sandisk? I ask because I'm pretty sure Sandisk only made SD cards up to 2GB. It seems to me anything bigger is either SDHC or it's a fake from ebay.

Again, I'm not certain... but looking at Newegg's listing of SD Cards, I don't see anything over 2GB for regular SD cards from Sandisk. Even Sandisk's website doesn't show any 4GB SD cards.

So here's hoping you're mistaken and you really do have an SDHC card.
iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian View Post
Are you sure it's a Sandisk? I ask because I'm pretty sure Sandisk only made SD cards up to 2GB. It seems to me anything bigger is either SDHC or it's a fake from ebay.

Again, I'm not certain... but looking at Newegg's listing of SD Cards, I don't see anything over 2GB for regular SD cards from Sandisk. Even Sandisk's website doesn't show any 4GB SD cards.

So here's hoping you're mistaken and you really do have an SDHC card.
You're right. It was in my reader and I vaguely remembered it having the Sandisk layout. It's a no-name that looks just like the SanDisk 2.0GB, except for the 4.0GB size and no brand name.

Derek
Old 10-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you filled the card past 2gig and trying to access data past the 2gig mark?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you filled the card past 2gig and trying to access data past the 2gig mark?
Working on it. (Or rather, *NOT* working on it as I'm busy today getting several text files edited to look right under BookDesigner. )

Derek
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
reb1

If I am remembering this correct the sd format reads in bites and the new format sdhc reads in sectors. there are a few four gig sd cards available. Sandisk goes to the sdhc after the two gig size. I would go to the brighthand forum and use the search. There is alot of discussion about this.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

From what I gather, it's cheaper to buy 2 2GIG SD cards then one 4GIG SD card. And then you don't have the compatibility hassle as well.