Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
iPad jailbreak released

http://spiritjb.com/

If you don't know what this is, what this is for, or what you are doing, please do not run this software!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
Smoking Jailbreak...

Worked GREAT.....Just need some Apps to utilize it to it's fullest...

A nice comic reader, so I can upload all my .cbz files would be on the top of my list.....

In the mean time...Tally HO!

Last edited by SomeThingWickd; 05-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Here is the link to the Spirit Jailbreak Tutorial Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkvhXgUPyM
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThingWickd View Post
Smoking Jailbreak...

Worked GREAT.....Just need some Apps to utilize it to it's fullest...

A nice comic reader, so I can upload all my .cbz files would be on the top of my list.....

In the mean time...Tally HO!
im pretty sure cloudreader (in the normal app store) works with cbz
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Any ipad advantages to the jailbreak
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
Any ipad advantages to the jailbreak
- I can upload mobibooks directly to ebookee folder of kindle app. I use mobipocket desktop to download feeds and they can be transferred in one go to the iPad ,very fast.
- some nice apps like facebook,byline, oxford dictionary, which have not been ported to iPad can be viewed natively in full resolution
- voice control can be activated.-
- clock app from iPhone can be transferred to iPad.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
- some nice apps like facebook,byline, oxford dictionary, which have not been ported to iPad can be viewed natively in full resolution
How are you doing this please?

Other benefits include touch gestures to close apps, lock the screen, etc... as well as quick access to frequently used settings from your desktop/springboard. And this is just in the first day... more stuff is coming soon.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
How are you doing this please?
http://www.redmondpie.com/run-iphone...lated-9140723/
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That would be great. Jailbreaking has been the best thing I've done on my iPhone. Still don't have an iPad though.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post

Thank you.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
Cloudreaders for CBZ files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
im pretty sure cloudreader (in the normal app store) works with cbz
It works, but....still having fits with downloading via the USB....Wifi is slow, and then once they are uploaded, the comic isn't bookshelved like with iBooks...

It is just a file name...(Don't get me wrong, reading my comics on Cloudreaders is very nice, but....It doesn't allow me to tweak them to perfect size, etc.....)

Is a good app...just think eventually something will come along that will have more bells and whistles, and an easier UI....
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Okay, but what happens when iPhone OS 4.0 comes out?
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
Okay, but what happens when iPhone OS 4.0 comes out?
You have the choice of installing the upgrade and losing your jailbreak until the jailbreak software is updated (which may or may not take some time - traditionally it's pretty quick but as it's a whole new version number with some significant changes I expect it to take longer), or holding off until the new version's broken.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
If you choose to jailbreak your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. Never apply an update until after you have researched the consequences of doing so. You may lose access to your jailbreak apps, or in the case of the iPhone, you may lose your software unlock, rendering your phone useless if you have taken it to another carrier. You may want those shiney new Apple features, but if you value your jailbreak, hold off until it is safe.

As Craig said, jailbreaks typically occur within a few days to a week or two after a minor update release. But after a major release it may take weeks. Patience is important to a smart jailbreaker. Hounding the jailbreak forums asking "is it out yet? is it out yet? won't speed up the process either.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThingWickd View Post
It works, but....still having fits with downloading via the USB....Wifi is slow, and then once they are uploaded, the comic isn't bookshelved like with iBooks...

It is just a file name...(Don't get me wrong, reading my comics on Cloudreaders is very nice, but....It doesn't allow me to tweak them to perfect size, etc.....)

Is a good app...just think eventually something will come along that will have more bells and whistles, and an easier UI....
You want ComicZeal, which is in the normal app store. It can read cbr and cbz, and you can organize your collection by comic. It also keeps track of what you have already read or haven't started yet, the last page you were on for each individual comic, and the zooming and panning is instant. No need to jailbreak just to get a good comic app.

I may end up jailbreaking just so that I can get direct file access to my iPad. I don't like having to send manga to ComicZeal through iTunes. It would be nice to send them wifi from Ubuntu so that I can avoid Windows altogether.

-Update-
I went ahead and jailbreaked, only wanting full file access to the iPad, and wouldn't you know it I couldn't connect to the damn thing after jailbreaking. I installed OpenSSH and followed all the instructions but I think my router is preventing me from connecting (don't know why, I looked through the router settings and everything seems okay). I also tried the different applications to connect through usb (DiskAid, ifunbox, iphonebrowser) and they all said my iPad wasn't jailbreaked *sigh*. Anyway, I'm doing a restore since the only thing I wanted from the jailbreak isn't working for me. At least the jailbreak process was easy and I may try it again in the future if I get a new router.

-Update 2-
Restore was easy, now everything is back to normal.

Last edited by lilman; 05-06-2010 at 05:08 PM.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote