Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #31
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
My problem is much simpler: I'm probably an idiot! I want to download the Sony Library software, I go here: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/. It says """Click the "eBook Library Software" button above""" but I can't see any button...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
morty1753
morty1753 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
My problem is much simpler: I'm probably an idiot! I want to download the Sony Library software, I go here: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/. It says """Click the "eBook Library Software" button above""" but I can't see any button...
On my computer (10" screen) the button is approx 1" above the words that say "click the button above"

Dave
morty1753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #33
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty1753 View Post
On my computer (10" screen) the button is approx 1" above the words that say "click the button above"

Dave
Now I feel even more the fool. I've opened it in IE7, FF3 and Opera 9.6 and I can't see it. I have a normal 19" LCD screen, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Can you post the direct download address?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Can you post the direct download address?

Thanks
http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #35
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #36
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I received an email from Sony Support yesterday asking for more information (but it is unclear from the email if they are talking about this problem or another problem that I had months ago...).
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #37
JoeH
JoeH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 and PRS-600
I'm another one of those 40,000 who installed eBook Library 2.2 and found access to the bookstore blocked by Symantec Client Firewall. Turning off the firewall resolve dthe problem...while it was off. And like others, v2.0 worked fine with the firewall.

I'm assuming there's a firewall setting that will resolve the problem.

Thank you all for posting what you've learned so far. It's helped me a lot.

If anyone finds the solution, please post it here. There's some 40,000 of us who are very much interested.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #38
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
You got lucky if turning off Norton solved your problem. I completely disabled Norton AND went through and manually set Norton to allow access to five or six IP addresses per instructions from Sony tech support but still had no luck. When they suggested that I uninstall all of my AntiVirus software I told them that was a bit more important to me than being able to access their bookstore... That was about the time that they decided to stop trying to help me.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #39
gpags1911
gpags1911 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
New version of library available

I just came off the Sony support site and they have a new version of the software posted as of 11/25.

eBook Library 2.5.00.09170

I've downloaded but have not had a chance to install. Hopefully this will solve the connection issues many people are having.
gpags1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
You got lucky if turning off Norton solved your problem. I completely disabled Norton AND went through and manually set Norton to allow access to five or six IP addresses per instructions from Sony tech support but still had no luck. When they suggested that I uninstall all of my AntiVirus software I told them that was a bit more important to me than being able to access their bookstore... That was about the time that they decided to stop trying to help me.
The problem is that Norton blocks stuff when it should not. The best thing to do is uninstall it and find a better AV. I use AVG Free and it works well. Doesn't mess things up like Norton AV does. Seriously, get rid of Norton.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #41
JoeH

gpags, thanks for the hint. I installed 2.5 and tried it out. It did not fix the problem, although like before I can get to the bookstore by simply disabling the firewall.

I also got a very general, non-helpful reply back from Sony from my specific question (I asked "What HTTP Ports does eBook Library 2.2 use? Any firewall setting reqmts info would be appreciated", and was instead told how to set proxy setting in Internet Explorer and how to find Symantec's website).

Not a big problem...I can disable the firewall whenever I browse the bookstore, but annoying nonetheless: Symantec provides firewall options which would help if Sony could help me in turn.

I'll keep trying different solutions when I feel like playing with Symantc and the library some more. It's hard to get too annoyed after spending another hour or so reading a few more chapters in my PRS500. I love it!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #42
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIK eBook Library only uses standard HTTP(80) and HTTPS(443) ports to connect to the store.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #43
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
My Sony ebook library just refuses to startup!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
gpags, thanks for the hint. I installed 2.5 and tried it out. It did not fix the problem, although like before I can get to the bookstore by simply disabling the firewall.
Why don't you add the Sony eBook Library as an exception in the firewall? This way it should work when the firewall is enabled.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #45
JoeH

Quote:
Why don't you add the Sony eBook Library as an exception in the firewall? This way it should work when the firewall is enabled.

BOb

---

Bob, that was the first thing I tried. I double-checked the firewall to see if eBook library was still listed as an exception, and it is, with a big "permit" flag listed next to it. I *think* the problem is the firewall blocks incoming data to the eBook library, not outgoing data from the library. That's what fiddler seemed to indicate at any rate. Presumably Symantec does not know that incoming data was in response to an eBook query.