Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
I think comics are done badly on the K3 - I just - ,,, through.... some frustration bought them from Amazon and removed the copyright and put them on my Sony reader, which was much better.
What do you mean when you say you "removed the copyright"? Copyright is a legal right granted to the creators of a work. It cannot be "removed".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #62
floher
floher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

I tried to use the above app to convert my comics, unfortunately I'm getting the following error:

Of course I tried to install PIL afterwards (roaming google for hours and typing stuff that I don't understand into Terminal), but I haven't been successful. Is there an easier way to do this?

Of course I also tried dropping the unpacked cbz onto the app... same error.

Oh and your github link mentions "unrar" and "rarfile". I downloaded both but Im not sure about where to put them.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts. If I get this thingy to work it will be the fulfillment of my wildest eBook-reader-dreams!
floher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #63
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
I know, installing PIL is not funny at all, and this is the main point for I want to make a redistributable app via py2app.
In the meantime, you can look here for some hints; basicly you have to:
Install libjpeg
Code:
curl -O http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz
tar -xvzf jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz
cd jpeg-8c
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ../
Install freetype
Code:
curl -O http://ftp.igh.cnrs.fr/pub/nongnu/freetype/freetype-2.4.5.tar.gz
tar -xvzf freetype-2.4.5.tar.gz
cd freetype-2.4.5
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ../
and then install PIL.
As you get it installed, you should not have anymore that error.
Unrar and rarfile.py are included in the droplet, so you should not worry about missing them (I put them in requirements section for the bare python script users).
Let me know if it works!
ciromattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #64
devorez
devorez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hey @ciromattia
Have you taken a look at my previous problem? I'd really like to use your tool.
Otherwise I'll try to find the problem myself once I've the time.
devorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #65
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorez View Post
Hey @ciromattia
Have you taken a look at my previous problem? I'd really like to use your tool.
Otherwise I'll try to find the problem myself once I've the time.
mmm... I tested it on Win7 and it works, did you try with latest version from github? What Python/PIL distributions are you using?
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #66
floher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post
I know, installing PIL is not funny at all, and this is the main point for I want to make a redistributable app via py2app.
In the meantime, you can look here for some hints; basicly you have to:
Install libjpeg
Code:
curl -O http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz
tar -xvzf jpegsrc.v8c.tar.gz
cd jpeg-8c
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ../
Install freetype
Code:
curl -O http://ftp.igh.cnrs.fr/pub/nongnu/freetype/freetype-2.4.5.tar.gz
tar -xvzf freetype-2.4.5.tar.gz
cd freetype-2.4.5
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ../
and then install PIL.
As you get it installed, you should not have anymore that error.
Unrar and rarfile.py are included in the droplet, so you should not worry about missing them (I put them in requirements section for the bare python script users).
Let me know if it works!
Thanks for your quick response.
I actually found that exact same page and tried to enter the code (not knowing what it does, of course).
It starts working fine, but I get the first error when I get to the "./configure" command. It says "configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".
And then if I go with "make" on he simply outputs "-bash: make: command not found".

I simply entered line after line? Am I doing something wrong?

So I guess I need to get a C compiler (an acceptable one ) and put it somewhere?

Last edited by floher; 12-28-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #67
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
There was a time when ACDSee (a free program in the Windows 95 era) could batch convert, and batch crop pictures.
Their JPeg image compression was really good as well! High quality for a very low size.

Can anyone tell me if the Paperwhite reads jpeg2000?
And what is the best format it can read for photo's, graphics, or maps?
(Usually maps is .gif, photo's jpeg 2000, and old school graphics either SVT or GIF or compressed TIFF.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #68
floher

Alright, so I downloaded Xcode, installed it and somehow managed to get the compiler into /usr/bin. Then I tried again installing libjpeg, freetype and PIL following the instructions from the link. And apparently it worked.

Unfortunately now I am getting this error:

However, it dropped a .mobi file into the folder and after manually putting it on my kindle... voila! Although panel-view doesn't seem to work (he ignores the middle row of panels and skips right to the third) it's legible just fine in fullscreen.

If asked for I could make a before-after pic. It's great, but maybe the error message provides some intel anyway
Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #69
devorez
devorez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
mmm... I tested it on Win7 and it works, did you try with latest version from github? What Python/PIL distributions are you using?
Ok I've dug in the code and from what I've understood, it works only if you have all your images into one folder (no sub-dirs).

getImageFileName() is applied for each file into the root folder and will return none for the folders (the chapters)

Am I missing something ?
devorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #70
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorez View Post
Ok I've dug in the code and from what I've understood, it works only if you have all your images into one folder (no sub-dirs).

getImageFileName() is applied for each file into the root folder and will return none for the folders (the chapters)

Am I missing something ?
aaah! You're right, the script doesn't manage subdirectories, at the moment...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #71
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

@floher i can't see errors in kindlegen output, maybe I left the dialog on for debugging, i check later on github. Unfortunately I don't own a Paperwhite anymore, I ask for a change 3 times with no luck (rainbow panel ) so I sent Amazon back and keep my K3 for the moment I've yet to try if panel view is supported on it, though...
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #72
floher

Quote:
@floher i can't see errors in kindlegen output, maybe I left the dialog on for debugging, i check later on github. Unfortunately I don't own a Paperwhite anymore, I ask for a change 3 times with no luck (rainbow panel ) so I sent Amazon back and keep my K3 for the moment I've yet to try if panel view is supported on it, though...
Aww, shit man. I've had the same issue. Fortunately I just got the 3rd replacement and it's perfect. Though I also would've sticked with one the others (which was allright). Good luck if you ever decide to give it another try.

And even if you discontinue support on this little app, thanks a lot! I mean there's some error messages which makes it hard to convert several comics at once, but else it's a great help!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #73
motomac
motomac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello!
I tried to run you app on Mac OS. But it's too hard. I tried 3 python versions, any kinds of PIL installation, but I still have an error:
Code:
MacBook-Air-motomac:~ motomac$ /Users/motomac/Downloads/kcc-master/kcc/comic2ebook.py -p K4 "/Users/motomac/Pictures/manga.cbz"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/motomac/Downloads/kcc-master/kcc/comic2ebook.py", line 41, in <module>
    import image, cbxarchive
  File "/Users/motomac/Downloads/kcc-master/kcc/image.py", line 99
    except IOError as e:
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
If I try to drop cbz-file on the icon, I see an error. Log file:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/motomac/Downloads/kcc-master/KindleComicConverter.app/Contents/Resources/comic2ebook.py", line 41, in <module>
    import image, cbxarchive
  File "/Users/motomac/Downloads/kcc-master/KindleComicConverter.app/Contents/Resources/image.py", line 17, in <module>
    from PIL import Image, ImageDraw
ImportError: No module named PIL
I tried to install PIL from dmg and from macports...
Code:
sudo port install py25-pil
Please, help me.

P.S. I have Kindle Touch, and I'm not sure, this mobi-file will work on it without margins. Please, can anybody upload some manga mobi-file in KF8 (800*600px)?
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #74
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
P.S. I have Kindle Touch, and I'm not sure, this mobi-file will work on it without margins. Please, can anybody upload some manga mobi-file in KF8 (800*600px)?
it seems your errors are caused by your PIL installation (I know it's a pain in the arse, I'm looking to get rid of it in favour of Pillow or ImageMagick and make cooked packages via py2app), I'd suggest you to get rid of all PIL versions and reinstall following the procedure a few post above; and ensure you're using Python 2.7 as PIL - and therefore kcc - is not Python3 compliant.
Today I pushed a bunch of fixes on github, so you may want to pull fresh sources; I'm also working hardly for a bare-metal GUI with Tkinter to get rid of the droplet and eventually package the app.
Stay tuned!

PS: yes, the mobi will display margin-free on K4 at that resolution, I checked today against K3 (keyboard) too.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #75
motomac
motomac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I installed jpeg-8c and freetype-2.4.5. Then
Code:
MacBook-Air-motomac-1.7.8 motomac$ sudo port install py27-pil
--->  Computing dependencies for py27-pil
--->  Cleaning py27-pil
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 33.9%
Warning: Error parsing file /Applications/MacPorts/MacPython 2.5/Build Applet.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: Error opening or reading file
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 34.2%
Warning: Error parsing file /Applications/MacPorts/MacPython 2.5/Python Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/Python Launcher: Error opening or reading file
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 58.2%
Warning: Error parsing file /Applications/MacPorts/Python 2.7/Build Applet.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: Error opening or reading file
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 58.4%
Warning: Error parsing file /Applications/MacPorts/Python 2.7/Python Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/Python Launcher: Error opening or reading file
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite