Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Calibre server "newest" list

Hi,

I'm wondering if I have yet another error. I've restored my database and had added about 100 new books. Then I went to add them to my itouch using Stanza, that the way are being served to me is not consistent with the date in Calibre. The first 20 or so are OK, then they a mix of old and new.

Any theories or suggestions? Do I still have a database error?

Thanks!

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
are you saying the when sorting by date in calibre and in stanza you get a different ordering?

Sometimes when you add books, they have the date in their metadata which means that the date is no longer the date of adding them to the database. You can check this by sorting on the date column in calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Beau
Connoisseur

Quote:
are you saying the when sorting by date in calibre and in stanza you get a different ordering?
Yes, that is correct. I normally order them by date as it is easiest to work with them. I can understand how the majority of them could have a new date as I rebuilt/re-added then to a clean install of Calibre as you had suggested. It seems as though the newest books I just added after that are not showing correctly. I've just run a database check and did find a few empty folders but not enough to create this same error. I've also verified via the tags that they are in epub format.

Beau
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When adding books, if the books specify a date themselves, that is used instead of the time of adding. This is so that it is possible to save a book to disk and re-add it to calibre and preserve all metadata, including the added date.

So if your books were previously managed by calibre, they will have the old added date.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Beau
Connoisseur

There are two date fields, correct? One from the date added to Calibre and one that would be the publishing date when available?

I did use Calibre to manage my books and had a database corruption. I had done the whole "save to disk process then re-added them. In Calibre, the date does seem to be preserved. I'm just uncertain as to why that is not carrying over to the Stanza interface.

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the time you take to help us all.

Beau
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

quit calibre completely (press ctrl+q) and restart it. Now you should see the same order in calibre and stanza
Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Beau
Connoisseur

I had done a few restarts and have done one again with the same results. Ultimately, while it is annoying to try to find the few books I'm trying to transfer, the new books I'm currently adding seem to be showing up correctly. If you don't think I have a significant problem with either the database or the program, I can probably live with it until I have time to do another full restore.

Thanks for your help!
Beau
Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes, it's not a major problem, if you can live with it, ignore it.