Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
PSP charger

Before I plug the thing into my new Reader, I want to quadruple check with those in the know that a charger that is OK for a PSP is OK for my reader? Particularly since the one I bought is not Sony label. It's Energizer brand, 2-in-1 Home & Car Charger for DS Lite, DSi, and PSP. I got it because it was the cheapest they had, and it was a bit of a bonus that it has a cigarette lighter adapter in case of road trips.

Thanks in advance!
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It should work, I can't see why not. It's a barrel end, right?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
I have only used the branded PSP charger (I have a PSP so why not? right?) The off brand *should* work but you will want to be certain of the output specs of the charger and the input specs of the device. The manuals will have the info.
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Please let us know.
I have my eye on the same unit.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I found a post by Harry T in another thread..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=655027&postcount=16

Quote:
If one of those circular connectors fits the charger socket on the Reader, and supplies 5V with the correct polarity (positive tip), then yes, it should work. You'd need to check that. Anything designed to charge the Playstation Portable (PSP) will work OK.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Specs on the unit in question

Interstingly, there wasn't a single scrap of paper in the package, but what is written on the part that plugs into the wall is

Model No: PL-9920V
I/P: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.25A
O/P: DC 12V, 0.8 A

I know what all the units are and such, but don't have a practical grip on what they MEAN, if that makes sense.

It has three different output plugs, presumably for each of the three things it is supposed to charge. One is a yellow-tipped plug that looks like it ought to fit fine in the AC plug.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Interstingly, there wasn't a single scrap of paper in the package, but what is written on the part that plugs into the wall is

Model No: PL-9920V
I/P: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.25A
O/P: DC 12V, 0.8 A

I know what all the units are and such, but don't have a practical grip on what they MEAN, if that makes sense.

It has three different output plugs, presumably for each of the three things it is supposed to charge. One is a yellow-tipped plug that looks like it ought to fit fine in the AC plug.
Double check the device (reader) but that is a high spec compared to the PSP charger (I happen to have it in front of me)

output 5v 2000mA (or .2A)

The reader manual says 5.2V

Probably overthinking it though
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerhackermann View Post
output 5v 2000mA (or .2A)
I'm sure it was just a typo, but 2000mA actually equals 2A.

ziegl027,

O/P: DC 12V, 0.8 A means that it will output 12V with a current of up to 0.8A. An output voltage of 12V is about 7 volts higher than you want and could seriously damage the reader (assuming the intended voltage is ~5V, which is more likely than 12V).
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerhackermann View Post
The off brand *should* work but you will want to be certain of the output specs of the charger and the input specs of the device. The manuals will have the info.
Very sound advice. I was actually going to post that warning here when I read the thread's title.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have charged my PRS-600 with the Sony PSP charger and USB PSP chargers as well (these are quite handy as they tend to have both the barrel end and the USB end so you can use them to charge from your computer but still be able to read stuff, and then switch ends to transfer content).
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
Sjonnie
Sjonnie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I am using an official sony psp charger to charge my PRS-600 without any problems...

Last edited by Sjonnie; 01-17-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
ziegl027,

I bought that exact same Energizer model at a local Walmart for $20 a few months ago (a week or two after the PRS-300s were released). I've since used it many times to recharge my PRS-300 and it has worked fine with no apparent ill effects. I've not yet used the car adapter but I don't expect any problems there.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have a non-Sony mains charger bought from the gamestation store, the specs were on the wrapping and it stated compatibility with PSP 2000 and 3000. I managed to charge my PRS600 OK (and read at the same time) nothing blew up! £14.99
2m lead Input 240V, output 5V 2A for indoor use only!!!!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Sony uses the same charger for many many many of their items, their 5v 2a charger works with everything from your 600 reader to a PSP to their old minidisc players. You're pretty safe buying any non-Sony charger (I wouldn't trust one from some guy on the corner). Just check the output on the box if you're worried.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B_IX View Post
I'm sure it was just a typo, but 2000mA actually equals 2A.
No, no typo....just simple mistake