Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Welcome to the new Dedicated Astak Forum

Dear All:

The intent of this dedicated Astak forum is to make it easier for people who are new or do not post regularly or are old timers to the old Astak thread to be able to find out about Astak products and services and features and releases and firmware upgrades and much more!

It is a chance, also, to let others that may wander around MobileRead Forum, to park here for a while and learn.

Astak makes the EZ Reader line of eBook Readers. We ARE the manufacturer! Here you can ask questions and get answers.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 01-20-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Since this thread is sticky, here's a bunch of info about the EZ Readers:

Astak currently offers a 6" (diagonal) eInk device (the EZ Reader) and a 5" (diagonal) device (the Pocket Pro EZ Reader, or PEZ for short). You can read all about them on this web site: http://www.theEZreader.com

People in the U.S. and Canada can order from the above website. People from other countries should go to http://www.astak.com to order (don't ask why, that's just the way it is).

Check further down in this thread for updated information, as things will certainly change (new models, web sites, etc) as time passes.

The EZ Reader ships with:
1) The EZ Reader device itself with a User-replaceable Li-polymer battery.
2) A protective carrying case.
3) A wrist strap (leash).
4) Ear buds (head phones).
5) AC adapter (U.S. only plug, but switches between 110V and 220V.).
6) USB cable.
7) (Not advertised, but included) a low-cost miniature Phillips screwdriver for removing the battery door, in case you don't have one.

The readers have 512 Mbytes of internal flash. The 6" device (older technology) supports an external SD memory card up to 4 GBytes, while the 5" device (newer technology) supports an external SD memory card up to 16 GBytes. The 6" device actually MAY work with up to 16 GByte SD cards, and the 5" device MAY work with up to 32 GByte SD cards, but it's not guaranteed (will vary with the card brand) and MAY slow down the performance of the EZ Reader, so they're not officially supported.

The Li-polymer batteries are for both devices are different, but are both standard cell phone batteries that are available on the internet for around $8 to $10 dollars. You may never need to replace it, but if you do, it won't cost much and won't require that your device makes a trip to the factory, since the battery is user-replaceable. The battery in the 5" EZ Reader Pocket PRO is a 1000mAh LG battery. The battery in the 6" EZ Reader is a 950mAh Nokia battery.

Both EZ Readers can display/play these file formats (some are handled better than others, of course): ADE (Adobe Digital Editions), BMP, CHM, DJVU, DOC, EPUB, FB2, GIF, HTML, JPG, LIT, MP3, PDB, PDF, PNG, PPT, PRC, RAR, TIF, TXT, WOL, ZIP.

The Pocket Pro includes Text-To-Speech (TTS) which can read ebooks to you in a "female computer voice" (non-inflected). It handles MOST of the text formats, but will NOT work (yet) with ePub or PDF.

Last edited by ekaser; 09-03-2009 at 01:02 PM.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
sakusom
sakusom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Astak Mentor or Plastic Logic?

I have used my CyBook Gen 3 couple months and I am going to by a bigger one with wlan as soon as possible.
I have of course used the case protecting the reader. I am wondering why the side of the case could be covered with photovoltaic material? Especially those wlan devices does not to be all the time connected to the computer?

Is the Astak Mentor 9.7 my selection or am I waiting for Plastic Logic? Or what?
sakusom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakusom View Post
I have used my CyBook Gen 3 couple months and I am going to by a bigger one with wlan as soon as possible.
I have of course used the case protecting the reader. I am wondering why the side of the case could be covered with photovoltaic material? Especially those wlan devices does not to be all the time connected to the computer?

Is the Astak Mentor 9.7 my selection or am I waiting for Plastic Logic? Or what?
Dear Sakusom:

All 9.7 inch devices are waiting anxiously for late September. That is when PVI will start production of the Flexi Screens. We do not have official word of release date yet... but expect a 9.7 inch "EZ Reader TRUE" in late October or November 2009
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
808Tom
808Tom
808Tom began at the beginning.

Device: Astak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

The intent of this dedicated Astak forum is to make it easier for people who are new or do not post regularly or are old timers to the old Astak thread to be able to find out about Astak products and services and features and releases and firmware upgrades and much more!

It is a chance, also, to let others that may wander around MobileRead Forum, to park here for a while and learn.

Astak makes the EZ Reader line of eBook Readers. We ARE the manufacturer! We are the only Manufacturer with a significant presence on MR. Here you can ask questions and get answers.
----------
How can I or where do I look to identify a single Astak MobileRead resource to establish my own subscription and then to look at as a form of "on-going monitoring" and then what do I do to "sign-up" and thus have -- for me -- a single place and link to read and look at regularly? Suggestions please. 808Tom
808Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Tom View Post
----------
How can I or where do I look to identify a single Astak MobileRead resource to establish my own subscription and then to look at as a form of "on-going monitoring" and then what do I do to "sign-up" and thus have -- for me -- a single place and link to read and look at regularly? Suggestions please. 808Tom
How about "Forum Tools->Subscribe to Forum"
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
808Tom
808Tom

I admit ... I cannot find or make the suggested link ... How do I find & implement what you've suggested? 808Tom
Old 09-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
1) Go to the astak forum: MobileRead Forums > E-Book Devices > Astak EZReader

2) towards the top of the forum click on "Forum Tools". A pop up menu appears

3) Click on "Subscribe to forum"

You will get email whenever something happens in the forum. To get instant emails, edit your profile.

Disclaimer: I've never used the feature, I'm just guessing how it works.

Good luck.

P.S. In case you haven't heard yet, the Pocket Pro has a 400Mhz processor and the new Epson controller that makes the reader super fast!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
cardjj
cardjj began at the beginning.

Device: none
my dad got the 6 inch astak reader and downloaded the newest firmware and unzipped it and put on the sd card that came with it and flashed the reader and now it will not do a thing, we charged for 24 hours and still will not do a thing and all so pressed the reset button the back.
we sent it back, but I read some were you cannot make brick out the reader.
Just flash it again with the old firmware and it should be ok.
has some one had the same problem? and can you make a brick out of your reader?
has some tryied to flash it with bebooks firmware and or tried openinkpot as well.
cardjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can use this link to see if there are any new Messages in the Astak section:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...ew&include=204

It is not really a subscription.

You can subscribe to any specific threads you want to follow and get email notifications if you want.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
808Tom
808Tom

"1) Go to the astak forum: MobileRead Forums > E-Book Devices > Astak EZReader

2) towards the top of the forum click on "Forum Tools". A pop up menu appears ...."

Thanks for the specific insights & help ... I'm now a subscriber. 808Tom
Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Tom View Post
I admit ... I cannot find or make the suggested link ... How do I find & implement what you've suggested? 808Tom
Here is a screen snap of the forum tools menu. I forgot about the forum subscription.

BOb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1063
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	36449  
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
drbootsie
drbootsie began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Thank you!

I got my EZ Reader Pocket Pro last month, and it does everything I hoped it would do. Now I'm fiddling with all the things it does that I never thought about...should keep me busy for a while!

I just wanted to thank everybody in this forum for all the great information that helped me decide whether to buy a reader device, and which one would fit my needs. Thanks, RobertB, for answering all my questions about the Pocket Pro (without my having to ask them, no less!) and thanks to all the helpful, knowledgeable people and their civil, fun discussions.

I'll resume lurking and learning now. Thanks again!
drbootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
snowgoose
snowgoose began at the beginning.

Device: None Yet
Larger Screen Astak Ereaders

Its about November already. Plastic Logic announced last month that their Que e-reader will be available some time about Jan/Feb 2010. Netronix appeared to be aiming for about the same timescale with their 9.7" reader.

We have heard little for two months about Astak's Mentor reader 9.7" readers, and the last said was that all were waiting for the screens to be made in Mid-September. Well, it is November now, so have the larger screens yet even been delivered to the e-reader manufacturers? I did hope that Astak would beat Plastic Logic to market by a week or two, if they hoped to grab some market share. Is there any news you can give us...any hope at all.

Patient senior, with a long list of pdf documents !
snowgoose is offline   Reply With Quote