Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
wsu99999
wsu99999 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Issues with certain books

I was hoping someone could help me. I'm new here and I've read the forums and can't seem to find an answer. I have a PRS 505 filled with various Ebooks. Several of the books show up as protected and say they are only 1 page long and I get a "protected page" error when trying to read them.

I assumed this meant the books were "restricted" and had license rights associated with them, but it doesn't appear that is the case. I can't find any restrictions on my PC.

The answer may be simple (I'm hoping). Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing?

Thanks!!
wsu99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
A few more details are needed if you can like what format you are using and what programme you are using as well.

This happened to me when I downloaded an epub format and had not registered the reader against my adobe digital edition. They downloaded fine to the reader but I got the same message until I figured it out.

It could be something simple like that.

natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
wsu99999

I'm not using any SW. I'm just dragging my PDFs to the SD Card, then inserting the SD Card into the reader. Some of the PDF's have been converted from LIT format, but formatting issues aren't relevant because I can think of one PDF that is not restricted and I get page protected errors when I go to read it and it says it's only one page.

The PDF mentioned above reads fine on any of my computers. If it was restricted, it wouldn't work on multiple computers right?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
wsu99999

anything?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
I am no guru here but it seems like it may have something to do with the unit being registered to the computer or something along those lines. Sorry I cant be of much help but someone here should help/answer you soon. I dont convert formats but wonder if its something do with that as well. Vague and little help again I am afraid. Hang in there, help will be here soon - I hope.

natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
chris337
chris337 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Motorola Q9h, Elonex 500eb
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu99999 View Post
I was hoping someone could help me. I'm new here and I've read the forums and can't seem to find an answer. I have a PRS 505 filled with various Ebooks. Several of the books show up as protected and say they are only 1 page long and I get a "protected page" error when trying to read them.

I assumed this meant the books were "restricted" and had license rights associated with them, but it doesn't appear that is the case. I can't find any restrictions on my PC.

The answer may be simple (I'm hoping). Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing?

Thanks!!

Hiya.
I had EXACTLY the same problem as you have described. The PDF files were not secured at all and were fine on other PCs & even an HTC phone.
I did this (it's a bit long winded but it got them detected fully)

Deleted the files from the reader (they were on a card & would assume that this would still work the same for the internal memory) through the readers menu.
Then restarted the reader (waited while it rebuilt the library) then switched unit off.
Connected to PC then loaded the PDFs back onto the card (just drag + drop no software)
Ejected the reader ("Safely Remove Hardware" doodad down in the bottom right of the taskbar) then let it rebuild the library......& presto they were back with page counts of 179 & 148 working as they always had!

----------------

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with this 'books are on the card, software can see 'em there but the reader just won't let you view them or put them in its library' business!
chris337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
same problem

I've been having the same problem. I reformatted the card once and that helped. It is unpredictable which files it will do it with. I should really keep a log and open each one to see what version of Adobe it was created in. There must be a pattern. I'm going to try what you suggest. Thanks.
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
chris337
chris337 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Motorola Q9h, Elonex 500eb
Happened again....

Well I had the same problem again.
Performed the same actions as last time with the batch of 4 new books & ...... the reader refused to recognise them. (This was on the Memory Stick)
Tried it by loading onto the SD card & it loaded into the readers library 1st time so there is definately an issue with the loading of the cards.
I'm running with a 4GB SD card which is almost full & an 8GB Memory Stick which is filled to 3GB (I can't seem to load new books on it without having a problem with the reader recognising or opening them)

Well at least it's never a dull moment....I guess I'll have to be MORE patient with it!
chris337 is offline   Reply With Quote