Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
venkat3
venkat3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
kindle 2: hightlighting text in a pdf?

Hello,

I know with acrobat reader there's a lot issues with highlighting text in a pdf, especially when document rights aren't enabled (which is the case in most pdfs i receive)!

I also know that only a few ebookreaders support highlighting text in a proper way.

On the website below, I read that with the Kindle 2 you can read pdfs AND it's possible to highlight text (which are both apparently new features for the kindle 2) (in another topic i read that the kindle DX can even not highlight text).
http://www.obsessable.com/feature/am...review-part-2/

So, can someone confirm that the highlighting text in pdf's properly works with the kindle 2, even for pdf's with "no document rights enabled" (so that I don't have the same problem as in acrobat reader)?

I'm really interested in buying the kindle ebookreader, but highlighting text in pdf's is really a requirement for me! So I really want that I have no issues with highlighting text in pdf's!

Thank you very much.
venkat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Be careful here, that is and old website and you are misunderstanding how Amazon supports PDF on the Kindle.

1) Since that article was written, and hence not mentioned, Amazon has updated the firmware to actually support true PDF but all you can do with that is read PDF, search PDF, jump to a page number, and bookmark (rabbit ear) a page location. The rendering is perfect and requires no conversion, but the PDF is shrank down to a 6" screen. If the PDF is made for a book usually 9" your okay but if the PDF is targeted for a letter size the PDF fonts will too small to read.

2) The article you referenced, and is still true today, is that Amazon provides a feature to turn (read convert) your PDF to MOBI/AZW (Kindle native format). For the non-techi that the process is transparent. You just email yourself the PDF and your kindle receives a MOBI file. MOBI files you can highlight, search, copy, annotate, bookmark.

There are drawbacks to the conversion process, one the PDF must not be protected, second PDF to MOBI conversion is not that great. It's good enough for text base PDF, but once the PDF start getting complicated the conversion process starts having problems.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDF highlighting on Kindle 3

I've read in other places on the web that the Kindle 3 can highlight native PDFs. I have a kindle 2 and cannot highlight any PDFs I've tried. Can somebody confirm that the Kindle 3 (and all newer kindles??) can highlight native PDF files? If somebody has a K3, I'd like to know if they can highlight / make notes on the text in this file:

http://willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/ocr/pooh_k2opt.pdf
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
If somebody has a K3, I'd like to know if they can highlight / make notes on the text in this file:
tried on Touch, yes it can. ( I'm sure that Keyboard, Kindle4NT, Paperwhite also )
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-09T18_06_04-0000.gif
Views:	925
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	92101
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
tried on Touch, yes it can. ( I'm sure that Keyboard, Kindle4NT, Paperwhite also )
Attachment 92101
Thanks! Wish I could do that on my k2! I've also noticed that the kindle software for my iPad can't do PDF text highlighting. Is that just because my iPad software is tied to my purchase of a Kindle 2? Anybody know?

Last edited by willus; 09-13-2012 at 08:00 PM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert