Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Best living sci-fi author

My vote goes to David Weber. What's your oppinion?

How about the best new sci-fi author who has published three or less books? I have never run into any new sci-fi authors as yet, all the ones I have read are very well established.

Last edited by jbcohen; 02-24-2012 at 07:58 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I sometimes think the best living writer of any kind of fiction is Gene Wolfe, but I guess it's a little hazy whether you'd classify his stuff as SF.

Iain M. Banks or Alastair Reynolds, perhaps, for someone who is definitely SF.

I get a lot of enjoyment from Weber's stuff, but it doesn't really show the breadth of imagination I want from the best SF.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I sometimes think the best living writer of any kind of fiction is Gene Wolfe, but I guess it's a little hazy whether you'd classify his stuff as SF.

Iain M. Banks or Alastair Reynolds, perhaps, for someone who is definitely SF.

I get a lot of enjoyment from Weber's stuff, but it doesn't really show the breadth of imagination I want from the best SF.
I second this :-). I like Stephen Baxter as well (just read his Flood and Ark)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Jack McDevitt or Neal Stephenson, although Stephenson isn't just strictly a SF writer. I guess for pure SF, I would have to go with McDevitt.

Man, I forgot Larry Niven and/or Orsen Scott Card. Rats, I hate making decisions. However I'll stick with my original pick.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
For me it would probably be Peter F. Hamilton and Iain M. Banks, although I wouldn't dare claim they're the best, only my favourites. Stephen Baxter is certainly up there as well, as is Ben Bova and Brian Aldiss (who is still alive, I think?). The latter primarily for his Helliconia trilogy, which is one of the all-time greats in my opinion. Many others too, I'm sure, if I started going through 30+ years of Sci-Fi reading.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I hope the best living sci-fi author is either still in diapers or flipping burgers somewhere anxiously hoping someone will finally accept their manuscript. That way, there's always room for improvement.

But in the spirit of the thread...

I have a great respect for Richard K. Morgan and Peter F. Hamilton's stuff.

As for relatively new authors, I'll go with: Paolo Bacigalupi, Hannu Rajaniemi, Will McIntosh
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hoopy is probably right, most likely Orson Scott Card for his ender series.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Its hard to name a best... I imagine it depends on what you are looking for. Certain authors are really fun, but others, though perhaps less fun, have a depth to them.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard

How about the best new author? Some one that has written three or fewer books. This one I might go get a novel from the winner. I am always interested in new tallent, but thus far the only thing that I haev come across is well established authors.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ursula K. Leguin is still alive and her science fiction work was incredible, from books like The Left Hand of Darkness to the The Lathe of Heaven.

Also, Samuel R. Delany's science fiction work was really great, but I don't think he's writing anything in that genre currently. The Einstein Intersection, Dahlgren, Nova and Babel-17 are really great works of science fiction.

Orson Scott Card is also good. I remember enjoying Ender's Game, but really liking his books the Speaker for the Dead and also Xenocide. But i stopped during Children of the mind as it started to get a little hokey.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Ray Bradbury.

There is no way anything I could write could do any justice to his amazing contributions to sci-fi, fantasy and horror.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I dunno about Ray Bradbury, he always seemed much more fantasy than hardcore sci-fi. He was definitely on the cusp of the two, but I read him when he was one of the "Big Three" and I was a kid, and even then considered him not really sci-fi.

Maybe he should have a category of his very own, he certainly deserves it IMO.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I dunno about Ray Bradbury, he always seemed much more fantasy than hardcore sci-fi. He was definitely on the cusp of the two, but I read him when he was one of the "Big Three" and I was a kid, and even then considered him not really sci-fi.

Maybe he should have a category of his very own, he certainly deserves it IMO.
As a kid/teen, I wasn't into Bradbury at all. But as I got older, I really developed a love for his poetry-prose style.

That's always been the discussion about Ray, "is he or isn't he" a sci-fi writer? But he clearly IS a sci-fi writer judged by Farenheit 451, Martian Chronicles and countless short stories.

Hard sci-fi? No, clearly not.

But definitely sci-fi (although not limited to that realm).

Honorable mention for Joe Straczynski for Babylon 5 while I'm at (even though they were scripts and not prose in the traditional sense). He wrote the entire Season Four, numerous episodes of all other seasons, most issues of the short-lived DC comic...and gave us such immortal quotes as "Once the avalanche has started it is too late for the pebbles to vote." (Boy, a line of Babylon 5 ebooks would be a very profitable product line...they'd never hit the best-seller lists but boy could they be cool.)

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 02-25-2012 at 06:03 PM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
Honorable mention for Joe Straczynski for Babylon 5 while I'm at (even though they were scripts and not prose in the traditional sense). He wrote the entire Season Four, numerous episodes of all other seasons, most issues of the short-lived DC comic...and gave us such immortal quotes as "Once the avalanche has started it is too late for the pebbles to vote." (Boy, a line of Babylon 5 ebooks would be a very profitable product line...they'd never hit the best-seller lists but boy could they be cool.)
I think Babylon-5 constitutes as a Television Novel and a really great one at that.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think Travis S. Taylor is pretty good at writing SF. His "Warp Speed" and its sequel "The Quantum Connection" are pretty good.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote