Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
how do pirated chm files appear on the kindle?

so a lot of textbooks have been pirated in to the chm format.

I have no idea why pirates chose the chm format, but they did.

I'm not saying I would ever get a chm pirated book, but what would they look like on the kindle after conversion?

would they have linkable table of contents? index? in text dictionary pop up?

just like bought books would? or would it be different?

Last edited by RWood; 02-22-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: referenced URL removed
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
.CHM is "Compressed HTML." It seems it should be easy to convert to ePub. I suspect it's popular for pirated books because some of them exist as webpages online, and this is a way to bundle those up; it's also possible that some of them come with a disc that has a .chm file, and pirated versions are just copies of the legit ones.

No idea if Kindle will convert those, or if they'd need to first be converted to individual, separate HTML files. The Kindle page at Amazon doesn't list .chm among the filetypes it can convert.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
MobileRead has a strict policy about copyright materials and does not condone or encourage pirated material.

If reading CHM files is a priority, you may want to check out the Hanlin device. According to the MobileRead Wiki it is the only e-ink device to support that format directly.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've not heard of CHM file, any advantage to it?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I've not heard of CHM file, any advantage to it?
CHM is "compiled HTML" file. It is the file used by the "html help" system on windows. Not sure there is any advantage to it, other than it is delivered as a single file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by med007 View Post
so a lot of textbooks have been pirated in to the chm format.

I'm not saying I would ever get a chm pirated book, but what would they look like on the kindle after conversion?

would they have linkable table of contents? index? in text dictionary pop up?

just like bought books would? or would it be different?
Welcome to MobileRead.

I'm thinking that your questions are something you might want to answer for yourself.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
med007
Enthusiast

this is what sparked the post

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...d-books-piracy
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
med007
Enthusiast

i just think it's odd to have to purchase a book twice

I don't advocate piracy, but i have hard copy of 100s of text. why do I have to repurchase digital copies for an e-book reader?

why can't they sell hard copy text with free kindle access?

Last edited by med007; 02-23-2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: double post
Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I don't advocate piracy, but i have hard copy of 100s of text. why do I have to repurchase digital copies for an e-book reader?

There are lots of different ways to look at this.

One is........If you were an author, would you want to be losing those sales?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

They are considered separate items. Just like buying the hardcover and still having buy the audiobook (if you want it) or paperback (maybe you bought a 1st Edition hardcover) separately.

For some books Amazon has a program where if you purchased the paper book from them, you can buy a cheap digital version for reading online only (again, not for all books).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Like others said, CHM is just a container for a bunch of (indexed) HTML files. The best Windows-based tool I've found to extract CHM files is chm2web:

http://chm2web.aklabs.com/

It's not freeware.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Beware of CHM files - especially those from "dubious" sources. They can contain executable code and are a popular "container" format for viruses and other "malware".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Why don't you write the publishers and find out? Perhaps they'll give you an "answer."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
In my opinion, the whole article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...d-books-piracy

is bulls***. There are so many pirated books around, even some of the bestsellers, that there is enough to make e-readers profitable for the cheap and criminal minded.

you can't compare owners of mp3-players with owners of e-readers. there are too different.
i guess that every owner of an e-reader owns an mp3-player, but only some mp3 owners own an e-reader too.

the same was with the printed books. there where always more copies of records, tapes and cd's than books sold.

but that is my opinion.
take care
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
med007
Enthusiast

dubious chm files on a mac

i hear you are unlikely to get a virus if you open unknown chm files on a mac.