Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Where to buy my PRS 650? US, Aust or Europe

I recently bought my wife a PRS-350 (Japanese unit) only to find that it can't read epub DRM etc.
I was going to wait a month or so and buy a PRS-650 here in Japan,
but after reading a few threads here I have decided to buy it outside Japan.

I have a few options and would be interested in your opinions;
1. I am going to Europe (I live in Japan) for 2 weeks over the new year and could buy one over there (but I am going to France, Italy and Switzerland and hence worried about the dictionary etc)

2. I have a good friend in Australia, I could buy it (using his address) and get him to sent it to me.

3. I also have a friend in the US as with (2)

so what should I do? what are the best on-line stores to buy it in US and Australia.
Many thanks and Merry Christmas
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
What about the dictionary? On non-Japanese models, you get two English ones (a U S and a U K) plus French, Spanish, German and Dutch (both to and from English) no matter where you buy your reader.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
I'm in Australia and from my experience the readers are usually much more expensive here. The 650 usually goes for $299. With the recently advertised discounts in the US it seems people have been getting them for $200 if they call Sony and haggle with them.. see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=110877&page=4
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
I'm in Australia and from my experience the readers are usually much more expensive here. The 650 usually goes for $299. With the recently advertised discounts in the US it seems people have been getting them for $200 if they call Sony and haggle with them.. see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=110877&page=4
Interesting, thanks for that. I probably won't be in a position to phone so ....?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
Interesting, thanks for that. I probably won't be in a position to phone so ....?
Ask your friend to call them for you and say he wanted to buy one but missed out on the sale, and ask if they can do a deal for him.. worst case they'll say no and your friend will have to pay full price - $229.. still a lot cheaper than it is in Australia.
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
simulacrum
Connoisseur

The other thing I just thought of is that the European/American version might not display kanji/kana properly. I'm not sure about this but it's something you should definitely find out about if you're planning to load Japanese books onto your device.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
injapan
Addict

Quote:
The other thing I just thought of is that the European/American version might not display kanji/kana properly. I'm not sure about this but it's something you should definitely find out about if you're planning to load Japanese books onto your device.
interesting, thanks but I don't think I will have much Japanese stuff

Thanks again simulacrum! I will keep that in mind.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
simulacrum
Connoisseur

Quote:
interesting, thanks but I don't think I will have much Japanese stuff

Thanks again simulacrum! I will keep that in mind.
No problem. So odd that a Sony device is more expensive in Japan. I remember back at highschool I got my Japanese friend to buy a Sony minidisc player for me in Japan because they were so much cheaper there than anywhere else...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
injapan
Addict

Quote:
No problem. So odd that a Sony device is more expensive in Japan. I remember back at highschool I got my Japanese friend to buy a Sony minidisc player for me in Japan because they were so much cheaper there than anywhere else...
Its not so odd these days, believe me. I have often found it (cameras etc)

Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Cheapest way would be US, and the US dollar is still pretty low right now. Definitely don't buy it in France, it's 250 € here, and they sell it in few stores only.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
injapan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Cheapest way would be US, and the US dollar is still pretty low right now. Definitely don't buy it in France, it's 250 € here, and they sell it in few stores only.
OK good to know, thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
OK good to know, thanks
Hey,

Go here... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

I personally know of 6 people who have ordered from here and received dlivery to Hokkaido...no problems... and many people on MR have used this site for international shipping.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
injapan
Addict

Wow! many thanks