Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
novel
novel began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
JBL LCD Flicker

Hello all, this site has been very useful to me in making the most of my JBL. I have come across an issue though and since I already posted it in the Etaco forum, I'll just copy it here.

Quote:
I bought the JBL and received it a few days ago with pretty much everything I expected-- aside from an issue with the LCD.

After turning the page of a regular txt file in JBL, usually after a few seconds there is a noticeable flicker on the fonts that begins on the left side and works its way to the right. Since the flicker begins on the side with the batteries underneath it, perhaps the issue is with improper grounding?

This has happened with every ebook thus far. I am using fresh eneloop batteries right from the package. Thank you in advance for your help!
novel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post
After turning the page of a regular txt file in JBL, usually after a few seconds there is a noticeable flicker on the fonts that begins on the left side and works its way to the right. Since the flicker begins on the side with the batteries underneath it, perhaps the issue is with improper grounding?
Does this flicker stop after transversing the page or does it repeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post
This has happened with every ebook thus far. I am using fresh eneloop batteries right from the package. Thank you in advance for your help!
The JB Lite came with new batteries, on the off chance that something is wrong with one of the batteries swap them out with normal batteries.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Does this flicker stop after transversing the page or does it repeat?
I turn the page, several seconds pass, the flicker begins as described above, and then the flicker either stops or makes the fonts randomly jitter. Every time a page is turned this occurs. Also this usually seems to happen when I'm reading for say 20+ minutes continuously. Often times the flicker is contained to the left side and stops about inch away from the left.

I'm using this book in NYC and the above problem has occurred both outdoors with temps ranging from 40-80 degrees F and indoors at room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The JB Lite came with new batteries, on the off chance that something is wrong with one of the batteries swap them out with normal batteries.
I have not used the included batteries at all but Sony Eneloop rechargeable ones. Since they're fresh out of the package, I'm hoping to completely discharge them, charge to full, and see if the situation improves.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Jetbook flicker, not just JB Lite

If you mean just a light flicker that happens with fonts at 2 smallest sizes - that's a bug or feature of many Jetbooks, not just JB Lite. As far as I know no single cause has been identified so far. The cause could be radio interference (which assumes JB has rather poor grounding) or some malfunction of the screen or even a bug in the firmware (like a faulty font antialiasing algorithm).
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
If you mean just a light flicker that happens with fonts at 2 smallest sizes - that's a bug or feature of many Jetbooks, not just JB Lite. As far as I know no single cause has been identified so far. The cause could be radio interference (which assumes JB has rather poor grounding) or some malfunction of the screen or even a bug in the firmware (like a faulty font antialiasing algorithm).
Using the 3rd smallest font(size 18) so maybe that's affected as well. I can read with the flicker there, just hope it doesn't unduly strain my eyes. Thanks for the help all!
Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Hm, I haven't noticed this before. I'll keep my eyes open for it from now on.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Hm, I haven't noticed this before. I'll keep my eyes open for it from now on.
I only read with the second from largest font size. I've read two novels already with no flicker. I can't handle fonts smaller than that so I guess that is why I haven't noticed it.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
theologic
theologic began at the beginning.

Check out the flicker under different reflective lights. For example, I notice the flicker under indirect sunlight, but under incandescent lights, I see little to no flicker.
theologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
If it might be related to poor shielding is there a thin material you could put underneath the batteries to add additional shielding? Just a thought.
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
novel

I was told to install the latest firmware by Etaco and have so updated the factory-installed firmware of 15d patch 15 to 15d-b patch 15. If the flicker persists, I suppose I can increase from size 18 to 20 in case the issue is with poor software anti-aliasing. If the flicker continues, I will follow Etaco's advice to contact tech support directly.

So far the new firmware + fully recharged (after being discharged completely) Eneloop batteries seem to have gotten rid of the flicker for now. Before the flicker did tend to pop up in sunlight than in the current CFL-derived light I am on atm, so I will make sure to test for that.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
theologic
theologic began at the beginning.

This simply smacks of a hardware problem, as Toshiba normally designs a decent screen.

To do your own shielding or EMI mitigation is going to take a lot of work. Batteries are not a source of EMI as a general rule, as they do not pull out any pulse. (Power supplies are often problems, because they are fed by 60 cycles AC power.)

My guess is that the PCBA is laid out poorly and is radiating into itself.

Given enough desire and resources, a firmware patch may be able to fix this in the future. But they'd need to experiment around with the values for the SOC and other parts of the operating system.

I'll be interesting if any fixes are found in the future.
theologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Of the 4 jetbooks that I have purchased and setup, and the 1 JBL I have yet to see any of them flicker. I doubt it is a hardware problem or we'd all see it.

Hope that the firmware update will take care of your problem for you.
If it doesn't I'd ask for a replacement.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I definitely have it too on my jbl. Mine is worst in sunlight of any kind than in any type of interior lighting. I will likely send it back for a warranty repair but I haven't gotten to a point where I want to be without it for several days. It's kind of addicting.
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
errata
errata began at the beginning.

Same problem here. It definitely happens more in direct sunlight or warmer temps. I rarely see it while reading in bed at night.

I was also going to return it for a replacement, but since this problem seems to be somewhat widespread, please keep us posted if you get a response from ectaco.
errata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
If you bought what you believe to be a defective device, what would compel you NOT to return it?; if the replacement unit was also defective, what would compel you to simply NOT demand a full refund and give up on the model/manufacturer altogether? Why don't you contact the manufacturer?

Seems like a just another smear campaign.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote