Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Tracking your ebook purchases/downloads

Hi all,

I was wondering what you all do to track your ebook purchases? With the whole download-only thing, I'm a bit paranoid of losing the books, and forgetting where I bought them from. There are a million ebook stores now, and keeping track of where I bought and downloaded which ebook is going to be too much for my brain to retain.

I realize the answer here is "backup", but are you doing anything to track your purchases with tags or notes or spreadsheets?

Thanks!
January
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont really track my purchases since all the books I get are from Amazon though I guess then that my method of tracking is Amazon itself.
For the books that I get from other sources I use Calibre and just add a tag with the name of the place that I got them from (Feedbooks is an example)
Then I can use Calibre to filter the books with the tags I am looking for.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I'm not quite sure I understand your question. As far as "tracking" where I purchased which book from, I get an email receipt for every online purchase I make. I just file all the ebook receipts away in a mail folder called "ebooks". If I ever want to see where I purchased something from or how much I paid, I just do a search on that mail folder.

Otherwise, I just have a directory on my computer with all my ebooks in it. That's the "backup" of the ones on my reader. If you're extra paranoid, get a small thumb drive (not like ebooks take up a lot of space) and keep a backup on there, too.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryF View Post
I was wondering what you all do to track your ebook purchases? With the whole download-only thing, I'm a bit paranoid of losing the books, and forgetting where I bought them from.
Email receipts.

I also have a folder with de-DRMed backups of all my ebooks, but for tracking where I got them? Email receipts.

I just don't understand people who delete their emails, or don't keep copies of sent emails.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi JanuaryF.

I dont know if this helps, but some sites including our own offer a bookshelf function. This means that your eBooks will remain in your account at our store for a min of 12mths. You have the option of downloading them up to 4 times which may alleviate some of your stress!

I honestly feel and hope that with Cloud computing, eBooks will be available anywhere, anytime for ever.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
My old methodology was thus:

Buy > strip DRM > place into Calibre > apply tags

now it's:

Buy (or download) only if there's no DRM > place into Calibre > apply tags
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
To track my own eBooks, I developed a database in Microsoft Access. I log in each book that I buy, or want to buy. Then I have a report that shows each book I've read and what's in both my unread library and on my wish list. Anyway, I posted copy of it on MobileRead (minus my own eBook entries) and it is available as a free download. If you're interested, check it out here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=database
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I only buy from Fictionwise, and I download everything into Calibre.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
JanuaryF
Connoisseur

Thanks for the replies! I'm an email-keeper, so I'm thinking email receipt is the way to go. I love the database idea, and tagging in Calibre as well. I guess I'll see what works for me when I start amassing the ebook purchases!

Thanks again,
January
Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
For my music purchases, I've been using a spreadsheet. Since I buy from many different places, this keeps it all centralized and I can note where and when I backed something up. (I have a folder of numbered DVDs with all my purchased mp3s backed up.) I'll be doing the same with eBooks.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I designed the main report in the database to switch the print to green after I've read a book. It's black if it's in my library but not read yet and red if it's on my wish list.

One of the things I find myself doing, is opening the report as I'm getting towards the end of a book and reviewing the books in my library to decide which one to read next.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
I wonder if Goodreads would consider adding a field so users could add their purchase source?
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
JanuaryF
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I wonder if Goodreads would consider adding a field so users could add their purchase source?
What a coincidence. I ask the question, and GoodReads launches a new feature "Catalog books you own" which lets you enter where you bought the book. Think I'll be using that nifty feature!

Jan
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
dropbox

I use dropbox to save all of my ebooks and work files. I have a paid account so I have every version of every file I have ever had in dropbox. So even if I accidently delete a file, I can restore it.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
In my case:
1.- I keep the e-mails
2.- I print the e-mails as receipts according to store/month
3.- I write down at my access where I've bought the book.

A bit paranoid but...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote