Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I would be fine with this if (1) the price was the same (2) I could automatically gift the pbooks to my local library and (3) I would not have to wait for the pbook to get the ebook. Last night, I read a sample I had downloaded some time ago, and liked it so much I immediately bought the book. When I opened my email and looked at the receipt, it said 1:44 am.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uhmm... Let's say they are a great move forward for narrative prose and will likely (over time) exterminate MMPB. The premium print formats will endure a while. At least a couple decades more.

Just keep in mind the game is ongoing, ebooks and reader devices are still evolving and there is still big money in the other pbook classes. It won't be long before ebooks break out from the narrative text domain.
Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in the Computer Shopper with a guy holding a computer, which looked like the computer pencil sharpeners, between his thumb and finger and saying "I remember when these were the size of footballs"

Of course this was in 1985-6 when Mini-computers were still widely used, still more than a few in use, but now people are starting to complain about the size and price of Blade servers

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not so sure about ebooks taking over the other classes of publication any time soon.
I am. I expect mass market paperbacks to be almost completely replaced by ebooks in another 10 years or so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
jsmack65
jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsmack65 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
The fundamental problem isn't that the format, or medium - it's that the vast majority of people simply don't read. That's why bookstores are slowly strangling, and why eInk reader sales plateaued so quickly. A tiny minority of the population, who read voraciously, saw the advantage immediately, and bought them. Once they had them, they only infrequently need a replacement. Tablet sales continue to grow because non-readers can watch Netflix and play Candy Crush on them, not because they really want to experience the new Pynchon on an LED screen.

Giving me a pbook along with my ebook is simply handing me a chore - I've either got to store it, find someone who wants it, or swing by the used book store and sell it. I've got no use for it, and it's not my responsibility to prop up a dying business model by paying for it.
jsmack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Amazon agrees it is a good idea.
(Angry Robot has been doing it for a while.)

Which is why Amazon created MATCHBOOK to encourage this kind of bundling.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221578

Of course, that automatically means it's an eeee-vile idea for some...
(shrug)
Doggone it, if I had a real newspaper or magazine, I would whop you on the nose for using that vile "A***** word." (Or maybe just gesture with it.)

On the other hand how do people threaten or discipline pets these days?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I am. I expect mass market paperbacks to be almost completely replaced by ebooks in another 10 years or so.
I agree, ebooks fill that niche perfectly. Other formats will last longer, but inexpensive disposable reads are going to shift to pure electronics.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Since I don't buy physical books any more, this doesn't really interest me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Sounds like a fantastic idea, and makes perfect sense.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
What's wrong with quoting Angry Robot?
(As for discipline, a case of Killian's red would do.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Bookstores, books - same thing to me. They're on the out and no amount of marketing is going to stop the inevitable. As to competition, I liken it to a fight between buggy whip dealers. Survival will require a unique online presence. Failing that, it's adios.
Well, maybe book stores, and the physical books they sell, aren't quite on the way out. Here's a graph from Christian Science Monitor:

The story is here, but it's probably worth mentioning that the increasing number of book stores follows big drops until 2009. Still, an upward trend is still interesting.

More on topic: As someone who just bought a physical copy of the book Oryx and Crake because it was cheaper than the ebook, I love this idea.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
This looks like a good business decision. It's of no use to people who are only interested in e-books and who have no interest in paper books, but it doesn't have to interest them. It's easy to become zealous about something and lose perspective. For people who like paper books, this is a great way to get them to try e-books. For those who like both formats, it's a win, you don't have to choose. You can have your paper books on your shelves, and still take your book with you. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
This looks like a good business decision. It's of no use to people who are only interested in e-books and who have no interest in paper books, but it doesn't have to interest them. It's easy to become zealous about something and lose perspective. For people who like paper books, this is a great way to get them to try e-books. For those who like both formats, it's a win, you don't have to choose. You can have your paper books on your shelves, and still take your book with you. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too.
With me it is not zealousness. It is a defect in my nature that would make it hard for me to turn down the paper book if it was included. I could always donate it, but likely I just wouldn't buy. Not 'that that would set them back, but there would be many who would feel that they were paying for something they didn't want as well. Time will tell

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #29
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The first R is reduce, so getting both a physical and electronic copy to me just seems wrong philosophically. I don't need to use the energy to transmit the bits or the paper in the book if I've got the other.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
With me it is not zealousness. It is a defect in my nature that would make it hard for me to turn down the paper book if it was included. I could always donate it, but likely I just wouldn't buy. Not 'that that would set them back, but there would be many who would feel that they were paying for something they didn't want as well. Time will tell

Helen
The general idea is that the bundle is a separate sku from the ebook and pbook items. Much as movies are sold as DVD, BD, and a triple combo with DVD, BD, and Ultraviolet.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote