Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Is it a need that isn't satisfied by the existing forum?

Alternative Devices
Handhelds, ultra-mobile PCs, media players, and other portables that could work as e-book readers
I'm for a dedicated forum for Windows products as well. Otherwise, you might as well move all Apple and Android forums to the Alternative Devices as well... We now have three major players in the portable market, and two do have their own forum, why not the third?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm for a dedicated forum for Windows products as well. Otherwise, you might as well move all Apple and Android forums to the Alternative Devices as well... We now have three major players in the portable market, and two do have their own forum, why not the third?
Because there is not yet any demonstrated volume of traffic about reading on those devices, and there is already a forum where such discussion is on-topic. Why not wait and see if there is a need for a dedicated forum?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
From the replies here I'm tempted to deduct that there is an interest.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I'm certainly in favour of a Windows forum and it is my main OS and there are plenty of Windows-only software (and hardware) out there that could fall into this category.

Of course I can understand not wanting to put cross-platform apps like Calibre and Sigil (to name two) in there, but there is enough to justify it for the rest I think.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
From a purely statistical point of view: up to this minute only 357 people read this thread, their have been 18 posts by 10 different members - don't know it this counts for "an interest" or not.

I've got the impression that all questions about forum changes have best chances of success when they are asked in the appropriate forum, which is the feedback section, but I may of course be wrong.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Because there is not yet any demonstrated volume of traffic about reading on those devices, and there is already a forum where such discussion is on-topic. Why not wait and see if there is a need for a dedicated forum?
If Volume is your only criteria then we need to eliminate some of the forums we already do have. Onyx Boox seems to have a very low relative volume... (oh...and when I looked it was amusing that there were "555" and "8888" for replies and views! )

Rather, Forums are ways of organizing the discussions so that one can easily find what one is looking for - and avoid others.

[edit: why does my image not show up?? I put the URL between [img] tags??]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	101642  

Last edited by Turtle91; 02-21-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I don't ask about reading apps on my Windows Phone on this forum, simply because it'll be lost. I will ask about reading apps on my Android, because I know it'll be read by people who also have androids and can help me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't ask about reading apps on my Windows Phone on this forum, simply because it'll be lost. I will ask about reading apps on my Android, because I know it'll be read by people who also have androids and can help me.
There are a couple of discussions about Windows Phone reading apps at the moment in the Alternative Devices forum.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
There are a couple of discussions about Windows Phone reading apps at the moment in the Alternative Devices forum.
Who uses that forum? The front page goes clear back to last July?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
From the replies here I'm tempted to deduct that there is an interest.
From the market share and sales figures, I'm tempted to say there isn't much of an interest.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
From the market share and sales figures, I'm tempted to say there isn't much of an interest.
Because Mobileread users are a reflection of the market? That hasn't been my experience.

The market as a whole isn't the issue. The issue is that people who DO buy and want to read on those devices may want help. Google is very likely to bring them here. So what is the best way to ensure they can get the help they need when they do come here?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
If Volume is your only criteria then we need to eliminate some of the forums we already do have. Onyx Boox seems to have a very low relative volume...
Onyx Boox is the youngest of all the subfora/the latest device that got a subforum and nowadays is a very active forum.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Onyx Boox is the youngest of all the subfora/the latest device that got a subforum and nowadays is a very active forum.
I don't doubt it - every forum has to start somewhere. The point being that Volume is not (or should not be) the only criteria to determine whether a sub-forum should be created.

Question... Do we need to buy a new server every time we create a new sub forum? A new hard drive?? Pay more per month??? Then why not???

If someone doesn't want to go there then they don't have to. Isn't that the point of having different sub-forums...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I am sure it would make sense to make a Windows devices subforum. We could have all the relevant discussions in one place, just like we do for Apple, Android, etc. Rather than all over the place like we do now.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote