Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Warning: do not install 2.1.1

I have noticed that some people have attempted to install version 2.1.1 on their Kobo Touch devices.

I wanted to discourage you from doing so until we offer this as an automatic upgrade over Wifi or the Desktop application. Installing the upgrade as a sideload could cause your device to stop working. We will have an official post when 2.1.X is available for everyone.

If you already have received 2.1.1 on your Kobo Touch device through the Desktop or over Wifi this is intentional and this build is safe for you to use on your device.

Last edited by mdclements; 09-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
shadeless
shadeless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
hey there,

last week i got a replacement kobo touch after my screen broke.

after i synched the new replacement with kobo desktop it automatically updated to 2.1.1 (im in europe, if that makes any difference)

should i downgrade ?
shadeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
It has been posted here a few times that some people have been getting the 2.1.1 firmware when they connect their Kobo Touch and update it. Is the roll out imminent? I realize that you can't give a firm date but I'm just curious. Thanks.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
If the desktop or Wifi sync gives you 2.1.1 then you are fine and do not need to downgrade.

We are working towards making this build along with later improvements available for everyone soon.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
I have noticed that some people have attempted to install version 2.1.1 on their Kobo Touch devices.

I wanted to discourage you from doing so until we offer this as an automatic upgrade over Wifi or the Desktop application. Installing the upgrade as a sideload could cause your device to stop working. We will have an official post when 2.1.X is available for everyone.
Thanks, mdclements. One of the reasons I like my Kobo is that you folks are clearly monitoring these threads.

I have upgraded to 2.1.1 with no difficulties, but I'm fairly computer literate and have backups of the last two setups, so I'm not too worried if this FW doesn't work. It is fascinating trying to work out what the differences are between versions of the Touch (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...27#post2220627)!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Interesting, I tried 2.1.1 for a couple of weeks... downgraded again to 1.9.17. Hasn't really given me any problems other than those already noted about the cover page and sideloaded fonts not looking as nice but I just really really prefer that Home screen. I really want to get the Kobo Glo but after Sameer's showcase video of it and lack of response on some questions I had, guess I will have to make that decision once it's out and I can have it in my hands to look at and try.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast
Slartibartfaust began at the beginning.

mdclements can we assume that if we have gone ahead and manually installed 2.1.1 and the device functions properly we should encounter no issues?
Slartibartfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
We are working towards making this build along with later improvements available for everyone soon.
Soon. I hate that word. It sounds so promising, yet it's so non-specific.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
This has been going on for almost two years. Busted software that has plainly never been tested adequately.

Perhaps Kobo needs to fire the QA staff and start over?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
This has been going on for almost two years. Busted software that has plainly never been tested adequately.
You're objecting to unreleased beta software being "busted" when people hand-load it onto devices the company knows full well it doesn't work on?

I get the objections to previous releases, very much so (had problems myself), but in this case your remark appears unfounded.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
So how does "unreleased beta software" get out there, pray tell? These people are stating that it appeared via automatic update, which should certainly be under Kobo's control.

If pirated versions are the issue, I'd say those who pirate it and load onto unsupported devices are on their own, and don't get forum support at all. The warning, in that case, is beyond the call of duty, IMHO.

I'm just hoping that by the time I can get a Mini in the U.S. things will settle down, stabilize, and actually work without obvious bugs for a while.

After all, we're not exactly talking about the level of difficulty of testing windows on every PC ever shipped. Kobo "owns" all the hardware and all of the software, and should be capable of making it work, along with the update mechanism.

Quote:
If you already have received 2.1.1 on your Kobo Touch device through the Desktop or over Wifi this is intentional and this build is safe for you to use on your device.
Or not, as the case may be...

Last edited by EldRick; 09-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
If pirated versions are the issue, I'd say those who pirate it and load onto unsupported devices are on their own, and don't get forum support at all. The warning, in that case, is beyond the call of duty, IMHO.
Great! I'm all in favour of companies choosing to go beyond the call of duty.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So how does "unreleased beta software" get out there, pray tell? These people are stating that it appeared via automatic update, which should certainly be under Kobo's control.
This isn't "unreleased beta software". It is is released for a certain environment. Up until yesterday, it was assumed to be only for the Japanese environment. But, apparently, it is being put on certain non-Japanese devices. My guess is that it is going on devices with a particular hardware level and that the Japanese got these first.
Quote:

I wouldn't call it pirated, but someone worked out the source site for the update and published it. All the people here, including me, wanted to play with it and hence talk about it. I am fine with that, but the complaining about problems with it if you weren't one of the target audience are another thing.

I don't think that Kobo has acknowledged the existence of the firmware before this thread. And I think they mainly did because of the roll-out to another part of the market.
Quote:

I'm just hoping that by the time I can get a Mini in the U.S. things will settle down, stabilize, and actually work without obvious bugs for a while.

After all, we're not exactly talking about the level of difficulty of testing windows on every PC ever shipped. Kobo "owns" all the hardware and all of the software, and should be capable of making it work, along with the update mechanism..
Based on what I have seen elsewhere, the firmware is settling down and will be ready. I hope it gets release a week or so ahead of the new devices so that exiting Touch users can install it without impacting the new users.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #14
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I wouldn't call it pirated, but someone worked out the source site for the update and published it. All the people here, including me, wanted to play with it and hence talk about it. I am fine with that, but the complaining about problems with it if you weren't one of the target audience are another thing.
Absolutely. If I choose to download firmware (which, once it is released anywhere by Kobo is easy to get and distribute) that isn't intended for my device, it is entirely at my own risk. I'm not going to complain at Kobo for its oddities, but I am going report on them for other users benefit (and perhaps Kobo devs). It is, though, inaccurate to refer to the firmware as "pirated", EldRick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I hope it gets release a week or so ahead of the new devices so that exiting Touch users can install it without impacting the new users.
Or rent lots of new server space!

Last edited by Peakcrew; 09-13-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Wrong name cited.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #15
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Do you have any idea when 2.1.1 will be officially available in the UK?
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote