Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Collections on an unregistered Kindle NT?

I have seen threads similar deteriorate when people attack and assume so I will explain myself right off. I simply don't want to register with Amazon and don't intend on buying books from them on the Kindle. I buy to computer from other stores where I save a backup copy then load to the Kindle with Calibre via USB. Nothing nefarious...but rather my preference.

I liked the Kindle's hardware, so went with that device bought at Target but am not an Amazon ebook buyer. I have side loaded about 200 books and it is working fine and I love the screen quality. I would however like to enable collections which I understand cannot be done without registering. I am working on a Calibre work around with a plug in but thus far am doing it wrong. Is there any other way to enable the collections feature without registering with Amazon? Also I have an old laptop running Linux Mint which I am not very good at. I don't have access to any other operating system right now and can't get WINE to work to use KindleForPC which was another potential way to make the collections.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by heeby; 03-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
I don't have access to any other operating system right now and can't get WINE to work to use KindleForPC which was another potential way to make the collections.
Sorry, I don't know of a way to do it without registering. Just thought I'd mention that doing collections in K4PC won't do you any good if you don't want to register as you'd have to register both the Kindle NT and K4PC in order to sync the collections to the NT over WiFi.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sorry, I don't know of a way to do it without registering. Just thought I'd mention that doing collections in K4PC won't do you any good if you don't want to register as you'd have to register both the Kindle NT and K4PC in order to sync the collections to the NT over WiFi.
Ah thanks for that. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Even if you don't have an account with Amazon you can set one up register your Kindle to it and then never use it again. I fail to see how anyone can have a problem with doing that?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Even if you don't have an account with Amazon you can set one up register your Kindle to it and then never use it again. I fail to see how anyone can have a problem with doing that?
Absolutely no criticism of the original poster implied by saying this, but I totally agree. Registering your Kindle and buying books from Amazon are totally unrelated. Register your Kindle, keep the WiFi turned off, and Amazon will know nothing whatsoever about you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
heeby
Connoisseur

I just don't want to regardless of whether someone understands that. As I had mentioned.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough I appreciate that heeby and not that it matters but I can understand why someone might not want to. Like HarryT I'm not having a go or anything like that, but it just seems silly to miss out on the use of collections just because you don't want to register when it really can mean next to nothing in terms of contact/interaction with Amazon.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
I just don't want to regardless of whether someone understands that. As I had mentioned.
That's absolutely fine. Just trying to help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There used to be ways of tricking the Kindle into thinking it was registered (to enable collections in the event that no wireless was available), but I have no idea if any of those techniques will work (or are even applicable) on newer models.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87686

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87336

Good luck.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
heeby
Connoisseur

Harry that was not directed at you...I get a bit annoyed when someone says "I can't see WHY you would want to do it that way". No worries all around. Just frustrated that things are getting silly....first this and now the dictionaries. Just want to read without the nonsense.

Last edited by heeby; 03-30-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Guess that's me you're not happy with then. Sorry you are taking offence where none is intended! Forget I said anything.

Good luck with your Kindle happy reading anyway!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-31-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Constraining oneself artificially does tend to make things silly.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Constraining oneself artificially does tend to make things silly.
What a presumptious comment. Bravo!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What a presumptious comment. Bravo!
*presumptuous
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Should have written "arrogant" instead (at least I know how to spell it correctly...)

Last edited by ixtab; 03-31-2012 at 07:16 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote