Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
mathisbrogers
mathisbrogers began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub Error - newbie needs help

Hi, all.
I've published my eBooks through Smashwords.com and their "meatgrinder" program converted them to epub format for me. I have no idea what epub means, but it's important for ereaders.

Now they're telling me there's an error so it can't be sent to Apple.

So, I downloaded the epub file and ran it through http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/

And it tells me: 5-the-wrong-crowd.epub is not valid or contains warnings!

ERROR: 5-the-wrong-crowd.epub/tmp_ed699923f69d4422a3343109d29b67dc_gqAjuG.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed.html(3707): attribute "width" not allowed here; expected attribute "abbr", "align", "axis", "char", "charoff", "class", "colspan", "dir", "headers", "id", "rowspan", "scope", "style", "title", "valign" or "xml:lang"
ERROR: 5-the-wrong-crowd.epub/tmp_ed699923f69d4422a3343109d29b67dc_gqAjuG.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed.html(3711): attribute "width" not allowed here; expected attribute "abbr", "align", "axis", "char", "charoff", "class", "colspan", "dir", "headers", "id", "rowspan", "scope", "style", "title", "valign" or "xml:lang"
Check finished with warnings or errors!

I used Word 2007 to create the file and saved it in DOC format 1998-2003 compatible. There are no images in the file and nothing that has to do with "width" at all. So how do I get rid of these "width" errors?

I followed their instructions on this one, even doing the "Nuclear Method" (http://www.smashwords.com/epubcheck) and uploaded again, then downloaded what it created and ran it through the Epub Validate thing again and it gave me the same errors. The "Width" error isn't listed in anything they mention on their site.

I published 17 eBooks, so the others will probably be needing the same thing in the not-to-distant future. This is just the first one they've tried to send, I guess, because I used the same Style for all of them.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to supply. Oh, and the only document that I have access to is the .doc file in Word 2007.

Mathis....
mathisbrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
mathisbrogers

FYI,
I still haven't figured anything out about the "width" error, but the good news is that I did run the rest of my eBooks through the validate thing and they're okay. So this is the only eBook I'm having a problem with.

Mathis...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathisbrogers View Post
FYI,
I still haven't figured anything out about the "width" error, but the good news is that I did run the rest of my eBooks through the validate thing and they're okay. So this is the only eBook I'm having a problem with.

Mathis...
the message is very clear. You will need to remove the width attribute and accomplish whatever it was doing a different way. I suggest you download Sigil (available in a separate forum here at MobileRead). It is a direct ePUB editor and you can use it to fix the problem you are having with the book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
mathisbrogers

Thank you, Dale. I understood the error, I just didn't know how to get into the epub file to correct it.

I have corrected it.

Thanks again.
Mathis...
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
iambsatyam
iambsatyam began at the beginning.

Device: computer
I cann't figure out about the ERROR: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\BW Work\out\one.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 23
iambsatyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Wasn't there something about epubcheck not being able to handle spaces in filenames? Not quite sure, never use epubcheck anymore.

Run it through Flightcrew to see if you have any issues.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambsatyam View Post
I cann't figure out about the ERROR: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\BW Work\out\one.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 23
The first filename in any ePub file must be the mimetype. In your case this is not the first file or you mistyped it. Opening the file in Sigil or Calibre and regenerating will likely fix this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I get the length=23 error when I forget to use the -X (or --no-extra) option to exclude extra file attributes. In Linux, you can do 'man zip' or 'zip -h' or 'zip -?' or -last resort - 'zip -h2' if they think -X is one of the obscure options
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote