Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What's Your Favorite Legal Thriller?

I was speaking to a lawyers’ group in Miami last week when someone asked: “What’s your favorite legal thriller?”

Here’s my quick list. Please feel free to add or subtract from it:

“Witness for the Prosecution,” play by Agatha Christie, movie directed by Billy Wilder

“Anatomy of a Murder,”
book by Robert Traver (pen name for Judge John Voelker), movie directed by Otto Preminger.

“A Few Good Men,” play by Aaron Sorkin, movie directed by Rob Reiner.

“The Verdict,” book by Barry Reed, movie directed by Sidney Lumet from David Mamet’s script

"Presumed Innocent"
and “Innocent” by Scott Turow.

"The Firm" by John Grisham, basically for convincing readers that a law firm was nothing more than a money-laundering operation of the Mafia.

What’s your favorite legal thriller?

Paul Levine
Author of "FOOL ME TWICE"
The Jake Lassiter Series
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
I was speaking to a lawyers’ group in Miami last week when someone asked: “What’s your favorite legal thriller?”

Here’s my quick list. Please feel free to add or subtract from it:

“Witness for the Prosecution,” play by Agatha Christie, movie directed by Billy Wilder

“Anatomy of a Murder,”
book by Robert Traver (pen name for Judge John Voelker), movie directed by Otto Preminger.

“A Few Good Men,” play by Aaron Sorkin, movie directed by Rob Reiner.

“The Verdict,” book by Barry Reed, movie directed by Sidney Lumet from David Mamet’s script

"Presumed Innocent"
and “Innocent” by Scott Turow.

"The Firm" by John Grisham, basically for convincing readers that a law firm was nothing more than a money-laundering operation of the Mafia.

What’s your favorite legal thriller?

Paul Levine
Author of "FOOL ME TWICE"
The Jake Lassiter Series

There is a smarta** answer here and I am digging deep for it !!!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
One basically without any lawyers in it: Twelve Angry Men.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
There are many but the first that comes to mind is The Pelican Brief by John Grisham.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I particularly like most of what Richard North Patterson has written, among his best are: Eyes of a Child, Protect and Defend and Balance of Power.

I quite like some John Grisham, I think The Chamber was a stand out, also The Testament.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They certainly aren't thrillers, but I'm very fond of John Mortimore's "Rumpole of the Bailey" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They certainly aren't thrillers, but I'm very fond of John Mortimore's "Rumpole of the Bailey" books.
Thriller seems to be a pretty loose term these days, I think ol' Rumpole fits as well as much else I've seen touted as thrillers.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Catlady has named in Twelve Angry Men one of the best law-related movies of all time. And consider the cast -- it was truly a mega all star cast movie when viewed in light of its times. Lee J. Cobb was fantastic as the bigot and Henry Fonda displayed the patience he was known for in movies (even if not in real life).

And I second Harry's nomination of Rumpole. When I practiced law, I strove to be as good a lawyer as I thought Rumpole was (and Leo McKern truly was Rumpole).

Paul's nomination of A Few Good Men also gets a thumbs up from me. What a cast in the movie; probably Tom Cruise's finest hour.

Don't forget Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird -- both book and movie. Although not really a "thriller", it is a book that opened the eyes of many Americans.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I would have to say my favourite is A Time To Kill by John Grisham. I've enjoyed all the books I've read by him but this one really stands out for me.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I would add The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (but I also like Witness for the Prosecution and Anatomy of a Murder).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
john grisham
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Presumed Innocent is one of my favorites. I remember my jaw dropping when I found out who did it.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
U.S. Supreme Court opinions written by Scalia, Thomas, or Roberts. It is a thrill beyond compare as one tries to figure who paid whom for the decision.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
MrsPartridge
MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Sony 650
I really enjoyed Hostile Witness by William Lashner.
MrsPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPartridge View Post
I really enjoyed Hostile Witness by William Lashner.
I second this recommendation.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jake lassiter, paul levine