Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #511
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Introduce some political unrest and if you do it right, their happiness will decrease by 20% per cycle.

I've got roughly 14,000 pop and they're all thoroughly stoned 5x over (but down from 10x over earlier this morning).

They're also extremely well-fed, illuminated, and protected and I don't particularly want to add all that much to their number to redistribute their overwhelming Bliss, as it seems like it's the players with the large populations who keep getting into the deficits and that just sounds like too much stress having to plan surges and beg for gifts to keep up.

There's probably some kind of life lesson in that.
14k? That's kind of a shallow gene pool no?

I've got a quarter of a million.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #512
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I happen to like uncrowded low-density well-social-netted resource-rich locales. It's probably a Canadian thing.

Fun fact: Iceland's second largest city has a mere 18,000 pop and they have not yet succumbed to the ills of inbreeding even after several centuries of continuous settlement with generally far fewer people than that.

In any case, it keeps me from having to play surge-catchup to feed/energize an ever-increasing pop (at 2% per cycle natural growth, every 50,000 citizens means an extra ~6000 every day, and that adds up fairly rapidly with the Pop * Resource requirements at increasingly higher levels).

And from an sfnal point of view, Darkover had a mere 200 or so original colonists (plus chieri and whatever other lurking interbreeding non-humans there were) and managed to end up with reality-warping psychic redheads, so maybe the shallow gene pool won't be all that bad if it leads to some potentially useful mutations and gene drift should the other Planet Baen freeholds start to invade once they've got the entire alliance thing sorted out.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #513
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I got hit with Crows overnight. I no longer have a million-point energy deficit.

Note to self: if playing the ultra-high-pop, energy-deficit, bliss-to-cover game, make sure I'm running at least 50% bliss surplus before going to sleep. And don't expect the numbers to have stayed the same anyway.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #514
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I have 180,000+ population, and run behind on Energy most of the time, but usually make it up in a couple of surge cycles. I have built up the pop as pop x level = money, and I now get 3,363,000 bucks per cycle.

Regarding Bliss, is there any problem with having an excess, apart from the high Military cost if the Crows come calling? I'm running with a 300,000 Bliss Excess, but it doesn't seem to cause any issues.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #515
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I have 180,000+ population, and run behind on Energy most of the time, but usually make it up in a couple of surge cycles. I have built up the pop as pop x level = money, and I now get 3,363,000 bucks per cycle.

Regarding Bliss, is there any problem with having an excess, apart from the high Military cost if the Crows come calling? I'm running with a 300,000 Bliss Excess, but it doesn't seem to cause any issues.
The only problem with high bliss is that most whacks cost 1% of it; if your bliss is close to the minimum required, you pay less in military.

Also, when you level up you get a bliss surge equal to your population, so your military costs go up dramatically.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #516
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The only problem with high bliss is that most whacks cost 1% of it; if your bliss is close to the minimum required, you pay less in military.

Also, when you level up you get a bliss surge equal to your population, so your military costs go up dramatically.
Yes, I've seen that. I've been running at a high Military excess almost since the beginning, so (apart from the Crows) it hasn't really been an issue. My military might is diminishing, however, so maybe I need to rethink my strategy...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #517
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I've got roughly 14,000 pop and they're all thoroughly stoned 5x over (but down from 10x over earlier this morning).
How does that work out as far as money per cycle? It says I'm getting about 6 million per cycle from population which is about 80 percent of my total. Since I can't add resources I've been trying to add population when I can.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #518
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At Level 12, 14000 pop provides roughly 170,000 Bucks per cycle, plus depending on how my political alignment is set, I get again that amount or more from my Assets as well. I was at roughly 300,000+ Bucks per cycle before I did the Bliss-eating realignments and have an income of ~ 2 million per day which is sufficient to let me level up and/or re-ally every couple of days for now (I'm a lazy player).

Exactly 1/4 of my grid happens to be empty, and I should probably go fill it with high-income assets at some point.

I've also got triple digit surpluses for every resource (except Bliss, now) just from using my surges on City Core and random non-Energy assets (the only reason I'm touching my 5 Thorium Reactors now is because the political resets are eating the Bucks so I'm not surging for those like I normally might so it'll just be wasted) and I could probably leave my freehold alone for a month and find that they haven't cannibalized each other in the dark during that time.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #519
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
14k? That's kind of a shallow gene pool no?

I've got a quarter of a million.
I should hit the half mark next time I let them procreate!
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #520
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Hmmm... I'm trying to figure out how good/badly I'm doing... I'm lvl 19, with a pop of 350k and a total bucks per cycle of 7.275m per cycle. I am usually low on energy, but rarely anything I can't recover over a couple of cycles. Like, tonight, I'm sitting at -61k, with a bliss cost of 1%. I've got excess bliss of 235K.

Oh, anyone else notice the 'scaled for population' non-transferable system gifts tonight? I had one for 80k military!!
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #521
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
Hmmm... I'm trying to figure out how good/badly I'm doing... I'm lvl 19, with a pop of 350k and a total bucks per cycle of 7.275m per cycle. I am usually low on energy, but rarely anything I can't recover over a couple of cycles. Like, tonight, I'm sitting at -61k, with a bliss cost of 1%. I've got excess bliss of 235K.

Oh, anyone else notice the 'scaled for population' non-transferable system gifts tonight? I had one for 80k military!!
Yeah. Got bliss and food. Some got 90k pop! Goes up to 200k apparently.

New limit of 10 gift redemption per cycle, too.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #522
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My stats right now:

Level 17

Baen Bucks: 23,371,311

Baen Bliss: 608,181

Population: 225,033

Food: 304,500

Energy: 3,645,677

Military: 240,133

The only item in the red is Energy, with a deficit of about 180,000. That gives me a Bliss cost of -5%, but it's usually a little lower than that.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #523
ATDrake
Wizzard

I'm getting "scaled" gifts of 4000-5000. For some reason it's giving me a lot of Military, but then I have the least of that since having high Bliss earlier cost me a disproportionate amount in whacks.

Apparently there are plans to be able to trash unwanted non-transferrable gifts, which is good, since I'm not going to be using that 4000 extra Pop.

Stats @ Level 12:

Baen Bucks: 939,524
Baen Bliss: 26,652 (down from > 160,000 yesterday)
Population: 14,451 (up from ~13,500 yesterday despite my taking 2 Bloodsport whacks which I've been seeing many more of since I core-absorbed the Whack Protect - Depopulation assets which came as Drop Packages/were the result of early level projects)
Food: 208,416
Energy: 643,255
Military: 150,008

Total Bucks per Cycle: 471,034
from Assets: 297,622
from Pop.: 173,412
Political Adj to Asset Bucks: +75%
Baen Bliss - Base Need: 6,701
Energy - Base Need: 469,843
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #524
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Baen Bucks: 20,594,188

Baen Bliss: 569,645

Population: 249,504

Food: 259,744

Energy: 4,447,414

Military: 188,990
Surge Pts Left this Cycle: 1/90
Total Bucks per Cycle: 4,732,630
from Assets: 241,558
from Pop.: 4,491,072
Political Adj to Asset Bucks: +27%
Baen Bliss - Base Need: 311,641
Low-Bliss Cost: 0
Energy - Base Need: -43,658
Low-Energy Bliss Cost: -1%
Food - Base Need: 10,240
Low Food Bliss Pct Penalty: 0%
Famine Population Loss: 0
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #525
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
I'm at Level 20. Here are my current stats:

Baen Bucks: 16,479,848
Baen Bliss: 1,304,226
Population: 452,820
Food: 471,154
Energy: 8,896,616
Military: 15,802
Total Bucks per Cycle: 9,412,484
from Assets: 356,084
from Pop.: 9,056,400
Political Adj to Asset Bucks: -5%
Baen Bliss - Base Need: 841,906
Low-Bliss Cost: 0
Energy - Base Need: -159,784
Low-Energy Bliss Cost: -2%
Food - Base Need: 18,334
Low Food Bliss Pct Penalty: 0%

For the new scaled gifts I received 1 - 50,000 Baen Bucks and 2 - 100,000 Baen Bucks. I've been trying to bleed off Bliss for a long time, but upleveling keeps loading me up again.
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote