Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Why no eBook kiosks?

Last night I was thinking about some of the topics here and I had wanted to write you all and say, "If you know how to promote eBooks the right way, go on and open your eBook store."

But then I realized that would be a little too trollish.

Still, I am curious: If there can be Internet connected kiosks in camera shops for digital photos, why didn't Sony put full eBook kiosks in Borders? Certainly they could offer a small discount based upon what Borders had on their shelves, promote eBooks, and still give Borders a piece of the action. You go on, buy a Sony Reader, get a free SD card and are directed to the kiosk.

I guess Sony didn't want to be too successful?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Evan
... loves his toys!
Evan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650
The Borders Books here in McLean, VA has an endcap dedicated to the PRS-500. Ironically, they couldn't have a working demo unit as something about the display, with an operational demo unit, was a fire hazard.

I'm extremely grateful to the kind soul who indicated that Borders may have them in stock despite Sony's shortfall. My store had several and I'm now a proud owner. And G-d damn this device is amazing!
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
E-book kiosks... this would be an excellent idea. And the Japanese have it already:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3212
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
The Borders Books here in McLean, VA has an endcap dedicated to the PRS-500. Ironically, they couldn't have a working demo unit as something about the display, with an operational demo unit, was a fire hazard.
Weird. Does the display show some working E Ink, at least? That's what I would need to sell me one.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

That's the kind of thing they should have.

I am not surprised the Japanese have something like it. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to put temporary employees in a kiosk targeted to business owners.

In any case, they aren't _here._ Why? I think it's great that the readers are in places like Borders -- much better than CompUSA -- but why not a larger presence? Why not let people use the device there right after they buy it.

I sincerely don't get it. Tell me! I suck at logicallystuff.
Advert
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I think that in airports, a net connected vending machine would be a great way to get ebooks.

We must not forget that it is essential to have computer access to use a reader. I know many people who would like the reader, that have no connection. Others would like it and have no computer. When you travel to certain countries, such a "kiosk" would be the only place to get ebooks.

If ever ebooks become "solid state" you'd get them in every book store. For now the vending machine is the only remote access possibility.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That makes good sense for daily newspaper delivery, too. Especially if it is fast enough to handle masses of users every morning, reasonably quickly (compared to a coinbox).

I could see a preprogrammed code on the reader or memory card, purchased from the vendor like a subscription. It would be automatically read by the kiosk, and if it confirms the code, it automatically downloads the paper. A transaction like that could be done in two seconds!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you put your own memory card into a kiosk to get newspapers or books, what are the chances you could spread a virus that way? I know Linux is fairly virus-resistant, but the kiosk maker might decide to go with some flavor of Windows, which seems to be a virus magnet. And people tend to put the memory cards/sticks into PCs, too.

I'm not sure about putting the identification on the memory card. Publishers will assume that someone will try to copy it and give it away, so they may try to put some bogus DRM on the card itself or something. Then if you lose that card, you lose your whole subscription.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
tcv
Addict

Sure, there are chances to do that. You run just as much of a risk, anyway, as the little photoprinter kiosks in drug stores do of contracting/spreading a virus. The key is in having the system locked down and, realisitically, the systems could be frozen so that a reboot would restore it back to normal. Everything else is captured dynamically over the Internet.

It's doable. I'm just wondering why it hasn't happened.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
A) you can disable Autorun in Windows.
B) SD-Cards (SecureDigital-...) already support DRM as do the so called "MagicGate" Memory Sticks.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As long as the memory card is not actively downloading files... only ID'ing itself to kiosk, which could be by encrypted code... and the kiosk is designed just to identify the existence of verified subscription codes, not to accept data uploaded via the card slots... I don't think viruses would be a problem.

The memory cards could always be optimized and locked by the publisher to minimize tampering, making it like a credit/memory card that the owner cannot reprogram--and as important not to lose. If you do lose it, of course, you call the company, and just like credit cards, have a new one issued to you in a few days.

Still, I'd expect any company concerned about it... or concerned about concerned customers... would avoid running it on virus-prone SW like Windows, and would make a point of touting its tamper-free systems. After all, cheap SW is cheap SW, but if you chase your customers away, was it worth being cheap?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-31-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I'd forgotten about those photo kiosks. (I've never used one. I'm happy enough to look at my pix on the computer.)

Personally, I'd rather insert my credit/bank card along with my memory card to get my book or newspaper, but perhaps I'm in the minority on this.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I know that hard-drives have some sort of indellible serial number that uniquely identifies them, WinXP uses it to make sure you don't reinstall your OS on another drive without paying them again.

Do SD Cards and Memory Sticks have a similar "hardware serial number" that could be read? If so, I don't see why protected contents couldn't be locked/encrypted to that SN and thus unreadable anywhere but from that card.

Copy the file? Go ahead but it won't open anywhere but on that SD card. I still think this could work.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
Hang on - all these "kiosk" ideas and "you currently need a computer" talk ... isn't one of the visions of the Ilaid (at least amongst contributors to this forum) that you will be able to use WIFI to get content ... given a WIFI point in bookshops ... you then just have to walk by ... or connect at the airport or ...
it's a nice dream at least ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Why not both?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote