Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #406
bbildman
bbildman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem solved, Author Sort was incorrect on a few entries.

0.7.40, no problem creating catalog before, now I get the "No Books To Catalog" error

Uninstalled 0.7.40, reinstalled 0.7.38, generate catalog works fine

Is it me or calibre??

(other question...when I uninstalled 0.7.40, and reinstalled 0.7.38, all of my library is still there, where does Calibre store these library files (or database) such that they are not removed when Calibre is uninstalled?? -- Thanks)

Last edited by bbildman; 01-18-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #407
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbildman View Post
0.7.40, no problem creating catalog before, now I get the "No Books To Catalog" error

is it me or calibre??
Check the last catalog job, you probably have some Author Sort mismatches that need to be fixed. The next release will report these problems in a dialog.

G
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #408
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(other question...when I uninstalled 0.7.40, and reinstalled 0.7.38, all of my library is still there, where does Calibre store these library files (or database) such that they are not removed when Calibre is uninstalled?? -- Thanks)
Libraries are stored in your Documents folder, apart from the program folder. When you update, your library is not affected.

G
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #409
bbildman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Libraries are stored in your Documents folder, apart from the program folder. When you update, your library is not affected.

G
GR, ok I understand that for updates, but let's say I just want to uninstall the entire application (as I did when I got rid of 7.40 just so I could install 7.38). If I didn't reinstall, and just wanted the app off my computer, the library then remains on my drive?? How does Calibre know without prompting me if I want to also delete the library??

I am using Windows 7, so I do not see any Calibre libraries in Documents folder, BUT I do see a large Thumbs.zip file in the Roaming AppData directory with hundreds of files inside the package -- would THAT be it??

Thanks

Last edited by bbildman; 01-19-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #410
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
GR, ok I understand that for updates, but let's say I just want to uninstall the entire application (as I did when I got rid of 7.40 just so I could install 7.38). If I didn't reinstall, and just wanted the app off my computer, the library then remains on my drive?? How does Calibre know without prompting me if I want to also delete the library??

I am using Windows 7, so I do not see any Calibre libraries in Documents folder, BUT I do see a large Thumbs.zip file in the Roaming AppData directory with hundreds of files inside the package -- would THAT be it??

Thanks
thumbs.zip sounds like the cache file for Catalog thumbnails of covers (so catalog does not have to thumbnail every cover again)
Your library is where yo told Calibre to put it. search for "metadata.db" that is in the root folder of the Library
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #411
bbildman

Quote:

Thanks
metadata.db is in the directory where my books are stored -- so it stands to reason then that when I uninstalled it and reinstalled the older version, the metadata.db file was accessed for the new install, because I did not delete that directory. I think the Windows 7 registry file still had the place where I denoted to store my books. Ok that solves my question. Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #412
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I have a custom column that I want to merge before the comments while producing a catalog, but when I go to the Merge with Comments drop down the box is empty. Did I do something wrong?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #413
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I have a custom column that I want to merge before the comments while producing a catalog, but when I go to the Merge with Comments drop down the box is empty. Did I do something wrong?
What kind of custom column is it? In other words, the column type that you assigned when you created the column?

G
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #414
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
What kind of custom column is it? In other words, the column type that you assigned when you created the column?

G
It's a column built from other columns. I fetch the annotations from my kindle which adds the date last read to the custom column. I want this be merged in the comments field when creating my catalog.

Is this possible?

Last edited by beckywc; 01-20-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #415
GRiker

Quote:
It's a column built from other columns. I fetch the annotations from my kindle which adds the date last read to the custom column. I want this be merged in the comments field when creating my catalog.

Is this possible?
Currently only columns of type Text or Comments are available, I will add Composite columns before the next release.

G
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #416
beckywc
Addict

Thank you so much.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #417
GRiker

New Catalog features (0.7.41)

Enhancements in 0.7.41:
  • Book titles in Section lists may now be modified through templates.
    See Customizing the Descriptions template and Section lists in the first post in this thread for details.
  • Undefined publication dates are suppressed
  • All Sections are now optional, 'Books By Author' is no longer required to be part of the catalog.
  • Warning and Error conditions are now reported with more details.

G
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #418
beckywc
Addict

this is so cool.

thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #419
GRiker

Quote:
this is so cool.

thanks
Thanks for liking it

G
Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #420
flo_tm
flo_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Touch WiFi
Not only is it cool ...

... it also works.

I immedeately created a new catalog and customized some margins, the section (structure and separators for series_index) to my personal taste. No errors, no trouble.

The "author_sort error I actually consider a feature ...

Now I just have to get my description info up to date until they are good enough to create the description section.

Thanks for this great tool and the new functions !
Closed Thread

Tags
book catalog