Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Got Mine Today and I Really Like It

It got here about 15 minutes before I had to leave for a doctor's appointment (annual checkup thingie) so I unpacked it, installed the battery, turned it on, saw the battery was half charged and out the door I went with it in hand.

At the doctor's office I read a few pages of the owners manual that is on it, read an 11 page sampler that was among the several that were on it. A gentleman there saw it and said "no more dog-eared, out of date magazines while you wait."

A few observations:

In the exam room the florescent lighting in the overhead definitely caused glare. But there is very little to none in normal lighting. Like in my recliner.

Swiping the screen left to right to advance a page was a bit unnatural to me. I turn pages right to left. Then I found the option to change it so that is fixed.

Moving books and mp3s from my computer to the 900 using Reader was a piece of drag and drop cake. Now, setting up collections on the 900 is yet to be done.

calibre did detect the reader and sent some news papers that weren't in the Reader Library.

The soft case, for those who haven't yet seen one, is basically a screen cover that kind of snaps to the underside of the spine and is not actually soft. It has itty bitty magnets on the top and bottom outside corners to keep it closed. It will fold back under but not flat. It didn't bother me with it open like a hard back. It must be removed in order to place the 900 in the hard case. But I don't know how often I will use the hard case.

And of course I have photos.

With soft cover closed
Soft cover open
Closer look at home page
My monitor after I had loaded some books and Diana Krall. Why not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0239wr.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	43841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0242wr.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	43842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0244wr.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	43843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0245wr.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	43844  
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Glad to hear you like your new 900! Where did you get if from? And as for the cover, after a short time of holding it back it'll break in and it'll be much easier to hold one handed.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I ordered from Sony on 1/12 and FedEx picked it up 1/15. 3 business days and it was free shipping.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Excellent! If I had any need for it, I would like to have one...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote