Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the "econo-Kindle" a good idea?
Yes. 19 63.33%
No, see post for reasoning. 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Would there be demand for an "econo-Kindle?"

This would be the size of a K1, with a screen that only displays 4 shades of gray, and without any of the experimental features of the K2. Kind of a refined K1, and sold for $200. It would have wireless to buy from the Kindle Store. It would support PDF, so that ALL public domain books could be read.

I was just thinking that if this were available when I bought my K2, I would have bought it.

Then, maybe a ruggedized version of the same thing for an extra $25.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wouldn't mind a pocket Kindle (5").
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I'd like to have a Kindle, but as a 'cheap charlie', I just can't justify the $ for one.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, a reduced screen size would also be a way to reduce cost. Since we can change the font size, it wouldn't be a huge deal.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, if it was truly pocket-sized and about $100USD. More than that, and it couldn't even compete with a PDA or cellphone.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Yes, if it was truly pocket-sized and about $100USD. More than that, and it couldn't even compete with a PDA or cellphone.
I'm with you
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I can't really see it taking off. Sony is still fighting an uphill battle against Amazon in spite of having cheaper readers. I know that none of Sony's readers have wireless yet but I think a wireless reader for $200 is unrealistic. The readers need to incorporate the cost of the wireless service, which is provided with no monthly fee. I think, generally speaking, Americans who would be interested in paying that much money for a Kindle to begin with, would probably go with all the bells-and-whistles for $100 more.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The reason an eco-Kindle is no good is that it's still from Amazon and we know it won't support ePub. So we won't have eBooks that will be interoperable with most readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I see the "econo-Kindle" as a good idea.

More and more players are releasing Readers (or what I call an "ebookieuse" [an "ebook I use"]) with a 5" display.

Ebookieuses are, indeed, coming down in price - perhaps not your price and with the speed you want - but nevertheless a little bit cheaper in the marketplace.

The marketplace for ebookieuses and the reading material that goes on them is increasing.

Find the right form factor (5"), offer a variety of sizes (think "televisions"); then, offer variety (think cell phones), and the market will continue to grow and diversify and become more competitive - as is already happening, in my opinion.

A virtual keyboard on a 5" econo-Kindle may be the next choice of three choices from Amazon.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
No. I can't imagine letting Amazon not only have it's "hand" in my Kindle but also in my pocket. From the Kindle Amazon would only pull books; who knows what it would try to pull from my pocket!
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm sure that if Amazon thought there was sufficient demand for it, that they'd be selling one. What you described is a K1, plus PDF support, anyway. Ruggedized versions usually cost way more than a $25 premium. In this case, ruggedizing the e-ink screen would be very difficult at this stage of the technology.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I already have a pocket kindle, it's called an iPhone. But a cheaper version of Kindle would be a great one for kids especially. Sometimes you don't want to give super expensive readers to children. The lower cost would mitigate risk a bit!

I just bought a bunch of refurbished K1s for family, in a way that's like the cheaper kindle, as long as they keep a supply of those coming!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
With the keyboard, I don't think that's possible. My PRS-505 is about 2 inch shorter then my K2 for the same screen size.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
With the keyboard, I don't think that's possible. My PRS-505 is about 2 inch shorter then my K2 for the same screen size.
No, something the size of the Opus or PocketPro. A soft keyboard would be fine if it's necessary at all. Or make it a bit thicker and give it a slide out keyboard if it's really needed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
It looks that refurbished K1 fills this niche at the moment.

It's possible that Amazon is working on something like this and will release it shortly. Or maybe they are not.

Introducing a new model is an expensive feat - you have to develop it, set up manufacturing etc. If returns are not going to be that large - it may not be worth it.

eReader prices are coming down anyway. So soon "regular" Kindles may get "econo" price tag.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote