Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
KingAztech
KingAztech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Top Right Screen Corner

Okay, I've got a rather weird issue here.

Exactly 2 months ago I bought a Sony PRS 505 e-reader from a seller on play.com. The e-reader is absolutely amazing and it was at a discounted price of £129.99. The seller claimed it's absolutely new but the only thing that is the issue was the packaging; the corners of the box was a bit worn out from the usage, obvious marks of having it posted a few times.

Anyway, being a poor student I thought I should take advantage of it as the price was good.

Untill this morning I had a issue with my screen haven frozen. I spent hours googling till i found this site which helped me out so much in resetting the e-reader. Anyway, after the reset a small box in the top right corner appeared blanking out the text... I thought it was odd and thought it wasn't too bad, so i checked to see if the area was just frozen or something.. so i turned it off, resetted it, changed the view to landscape... nothing worked. The weird thing is, when i changed the view to landscape the box started to increase in size. I thought it was my eyes since the white box didn't touch the [1] square on the screen yet... the next time it did. When i turned it off it almost covered the [1].

I didn't damage the screen physically... how can i solve this? please help. I've contacted the seller but I doubt he will help me. I read the posts in the forum and it seems like Sony won't repair screens.

Was thinking maybe to go legal... but that is only if nothing else works.

See below links for the images:
http://img36.imageshack.us/i/pic241q.jpg/
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/pic240i.jpg/

Last edited by KingAztech; 09-20-2009 at 07:28 PM.
KingAztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
salasnet
salasnet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Same thing happened to my SONY Reader after about a year and two months of use. From what I have seen online, it seems to be an issue with the screen controller? I went on to SONY Style and requested service... they say it will cost me $90, so I'm sending it in to see if they will fix it. I guess if enough people report it/send theirs in, they might not hesitate to fix something that seems to be a recurring problem.
salasnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I bought my reader perhaps 3 months ago and the same thing has happened to my reader maybe 3 weeks ago.
It's till under warranty and I've extended warranty so no worries there but having to use an alternative reader will be a pain.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
KingAztech
KingAztech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I bought my reader perhaps 3 months ago and the same thing has happened to my reader maybe 3 weeks ago.
It's till under warranty and I've extended warranty so no worries there but having to use an alternative reader will be a pain.
Oh, so Sony repaired it under warranty?
KingAztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAztech View Post
I didn't damage the screen physically... how can i solve this? please help. I've contacted the seller but I doubt he will help me. I read the posts in the forum and it seems like Sony won't repair screens.

Was thinking maybe to go legal... but that is only if nothing else works.
Well, the first thing to do is contact Sony UK directly and see if they will do a replacement under warranty, rather than guessing their position from (quite probably) outdated posts in the forums.

Beyond that, you may have rights relating to the sale via the Sale Of Goods Act. The 'may' being due to it probably being a private sale and I don't know how that may effect things, but hopefully Sony will get it sorted.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAztech View Post
Oh, so Sony repaired it under warranty?
I'm in the middle of a very good book so I haven't sent it in yet.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

Update on my 505.
I finished my book lol and called Sony telling them of my problem.
This must be a bigger problem than I expected of Sony customer service is awesome because without any arguing at all, and I was expecting some sort of problem, the rep said I have 2 options: 1) send the reader to their repair section for repair and return 2) for a fee of $29 they will send me a brand new reader within 3 business days...this includes shipping...and in the box will be the RA paper work. I have 15 days to send the old reader back.

I opted for the new reader. I also have an extended warranty from Target, where I bought it, and after talking to them...I did that first to find I was just out of 90 day return policy and had to talk to Sony warranty...learned that any costs, shipping, etc., incurred by me would be reimbursed by Target so I expect to get the $29 back in due time.

Not bad at all. I was expecting more of a run around.
I'll update this as needed.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Wow, brilliant. It's nice to hear some good customer service for a change, it's all to often bad news.

I wish you well with your new reader.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

Update:
I received my "refurbished", not brand new 505 ereader on 10-05-09.
I was billed $31.25 for the replacement. I also had to pay shipping $8.10 for a total of $39.25.
I've submitted the receipts, letter of explanation...DNA sample...just kidding though it feels that way...to the "reimbursement center" and was told I would receive reimbursement within 10 to 15 business days.

The refurbed reader they sent still had the original owners books on them. Also had some family photos...nice looking family as well.
I'm surprised whoever handled the refurb didn't wipe the memory and set it up as new.
I just removed the books and photos and put in my books.
It seems to be fine and my warranty started from scratch with the replacement so I should be fine.