Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Opus and EPub (sorry wasn't sure if it should be here or on the Epub forum)

Hi all

Question for those of you who know your stuff (most everyone other than me! lol)

On the fictionswise website is 'Secure Adobe' the same as Epub? .. in other words .. can I download the Secure Adobe format and read it on my new Opus (which is sposed to arrive today !!)

Thanks

(sorry if this is the wrong forum for this I just didn't know)
loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
On the fictionswise website is 'Secure Adobe' the same as Epub? .. in other words .. can I download the Secure Adobe format and read it on my new Opus (which is sposed to arrive today !!)
I think it's an Adobe PDF , not ePub format

Drs
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is; FW don't current sell DRM ePub. It will work on the Opus, but may not work very well, since the Opus doesn't appear to support reflow of PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I think it's an Adobe PDF , not ePub format

Drs
Correct. Fictionwise doesn't sell ePub, except in their DRM free Multiformat offerings.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What Fictionwise calls Digital Editions (incorrect) is PDF format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What Fictionwise calls Digital Editions (incorrect) is PDF format.
They don't call it that. They call PDF "Secure Adobe".
Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks for the speedy replies! ..

yes, fictionwise call it secure adobe .. so secure adobe is PDF??? ... because there is this paragraph with the opus info : 'Books for the Cybook Opus are available in two formats: Adobe Digital Editions (PDF compatible with the Opus), Adobe ePub (optimized for Opus - recommended)

They (Bookeen) are refering to Books on Board but i know that fictionwise are cheaper and would rather get from there ..

Also not sure whether to switch over to the ePub route or two just convert a few things and once the mobipocket version is out to switch back to mobi .. but I like the page numbers! lol ..

The other reason for switching would be that the Adobe software is fine with a Mac whereas I have to do mobi using VMWare and do it thru windows ..

thanks everyone

loopy
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Yes, secure Adobe from FW is PDF. I guess I haven't found them to be any cheaper than BoB for the most part, plus BoB gets books sometimes weeks before FW. While PDF is compatible with the Opus I'm guessing it doesn't display all that well.

I'd try a few ePub's (grab some from here on MR) to see how you like the format and then decide. I'm pretty sure I'll be changing all of my Mobi files to ePub, but won't decide for sure until I get my Opus delivered and can play with it a bit.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Loopy65
Groupie

thanks Brian

so far I love the look/feel of the Opus .. very nice and easier to hold than the Gen 3 .. I do most of my reading in bed so the one handed and 'hold it any way you like' thing looks very promising ..

thanks for the advice .. that will be my next project ..

loopy
Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Loopy65
Groupie

ok .. I downloaded one of the PDFs from here and it was horrible .. I've not tried PDFs on any reader before (I'm all for the novels!) so the 'zoom' instead of changing font size option was awful .. and even the 'fit to the page' didn't look 'right' somehow ..

Hubby (aka my geek hero!) has converted some of my mobipocket files to ePub and they're fine .. the only 'problem' is that the contents page seems to disappear for some reason! .. but that's not a big issue ..

So for now my decision is to change my mobipocket files to ePub and then hopefully once I've read them all the new firmware will be out and then I can decide whether to stick with ePub or jump to mobipocket! ..

I have about 60 books to read so should keep me going for a while! lol ..

I really like the Opus tho .. I always thought my Gen 3 was easy to take places but this will go in my bag more easily and it feels not much heavier than my iPhone! (if at all!) ..

thanks again everyone for the help .. this is always the place I turn for e-book/e-reader questions ..

loopy
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
thanks for the speedy replies! ..

The other reason for switching would be that the Adobe software is fine with a Mac whereas I have to do mobi using VMWare and do it thru windows ..

thanks everyone

loopy

Hi Loopy!

I have a Mac, and I do not use Windows at all, and all my DRM Mobi have been Dedrm and converted to ePub for my own safekeeping, without going through VMware... I did it 100% Mac!!!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They don't call it that. They call PDF "Secure Adobe".
So they do. But still Fictionwise is incorrect. It should be Secure PDF as that's what it is. Secure Adobe could also be ePub. We know it's not because Fictionwise doesn't sell DRMed ePub and that's a shame. Once Sony starts to sell DRMed ePub with better prices, Fictionwise (I hope) will realize they need to as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
Loopy65
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
Hi Loopy!

I have a Mac, and I do not use Windows at all, and all my DRM Mobi have been Dedrm and converted to ePub for my own safekeeping, without going through VMware... I did it 100% Mac!!!

Regards,

Georges
this is exactly the process we're doing at the moment .. thanks!!
hubby did just find out that Calibre doesn't work with snow leopard tho so we'll switch them all and then throw snow leopard into the mix! ..

thanks Georges !
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
Loopy65
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So they do. But still Fictionwise is incorrect. It should be Secure PDF as that's what it is. Secure Adobe could also be ePub. We know it's not because Fictionwise doesn't sell DRMed ePub and that's a shame. Once Sony starts to sell DRMed ePub with better prices, Fictionwise (I hope) will realize they need to as well.
Hi Jon
YES! .. hoping that Fictionwise realise it too! .. also think they need to change the name of their 'secure Adobe' as it's quite confusing! lol .. altho, admittedly, it doesn't take too much to confuse me!

loopy
Old 09-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried reading the book on your Opus? How well does it display?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote