Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Reading is not compulsory. Go take a walk, go for a swim, take up knitting, whatever. Come back when you are ready.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Some young adult fiction or a really easy fast-paced thriller usually gets me back in the mood again. They usually only take me about 2 or 3 hours to read and then WHAM I'm back in the habit!
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #18
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
As mentioned before - there are indeed some good games out in the wilderness.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
As many have said, take a break -- you're not being graded on this.

When I've had enough reading for a while I switch to writing. If I don't really want to get involved in stories anymore (reading or writing) I do crossword puzzles. If I get to the point that I don't even want to see words anymore, I do Sudoku.

And, if the weather cooperates, get out of the house and take a walk.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
There must be something wrong with me. I have never felt like not reading in my entire life. I live to read, I read to live.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Chi read Jobs' bio...

After bad food one doesn't really have appetite for more.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
When I can't get interested in reading novels, I switch to short stories.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #23
Blithe
Blithe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
These 'reading slumps' happen at the worst of times, to the best of people, but they're nothing worth stressing over: it's perfectly natural for our interest in all things to wax and wane, often without any catalyst. I have four 'hobbies', I suppose, and I go through slumps with all of them: reading, knitting, miniature models and video games. Sometimes I go through a slump with all of them, at the same time! (It's usually then that I have my most thorough spring-cleans; what else am I going to do?)

I don't think that this is necessarily something that you need to 'do something' about, and it certainly isn't worthwhile calling yourself sick over it. Unless you need to read as part of your career, and you're struggling to find the will to do so, it really isn't a problem. These phases are natural. Find something else to occupy your time: I notice that you've said that you're not a 'watcher' (nor am I!), and that ready occupies 830pm - 900pm each day.

Would you consider listening to a podcast? There are plenty of interesting ones out there, both factual and fictional. I'm personally fond of history podcasts -- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is very entertaining and educating. If you want to do something with your hands and eyes, too, rather than merely sitting and existing (which can be very therapeutic!), have you considered needlework, scrapbooking or journalling? I've found them all very fun. Of course, as I earlier stated, I clean obsessively when I go through slumps that none of my hobbies can satisfy...
Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
There must be something wrong with me. I have never felt like not reading in my entire life. I live to read, I read to live.
Apache
Yes, me too.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
As Fosca sings, in Stephen Sondheim's Passion:

I do not read to think. I do not read to learn.
I do not read to search for truth
I know the truth, the truth is hardly what I need.
I read to dream.

I read to live. In other people's lives.
I read about the joys the world
Dispenses to the fortunate,
And listen for the echoes.

I read to live,
To get away from life!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #26
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Chi read Jobs' bio...

After bad food one doesn't really have appetite for more.
bah, read it 2 years ago :P very good book though. Recently read Walt Disney's bio as well, what a difference between the two. Both geniuses in their own field and with vision but one kind hearted and good to people, the other well, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blithe View Post
These 'reading slumps' happen at the worst of times, to the best of people, but they're nothing worth stressing over: it's perfectly natural for our interest in all things to wax and wane, often without any catalyst. I have four 'hobbies', I suppose, and I go through slumps with all of them: reading, knitting, miniature models and video games. Sometimes I go through a slump with all of them, at the same time! (It's usually then that I have my most thorough spring-cleans; what else am I going to do?)

I don't think that this is necessarily something that you need to 'do something' about, and it certainly isn't worthwhile calling yourself sick over it. Unless you need to read as part of your career, and you're struggling to find the will to do so, it really isn't a problem. These phases are natural. Find something else to occupy your time: I notice that you've said that you're not a 'watcher' (nor am I!), and that ready occupies 830pm - 900pm each day.

Would you consider listening to a podcast? There are plenty of interesting ones out there, both factual and fictional. I'm personally fond of history podcasts -- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is very entertaining and educating. If you want to do something with your hands and eyes, too, rather than merely sitting and existing (which can be very therapeutic!), have you considered needlework, scrapbooking or journalling? I've found them all very fun. Of course, as I earlier stated, I clean obsessively when I go through slumps that none of my hobbies can satisfy...
Nicely put Blithe. And welcome to MR forums. All I can say I will not go for a walk at 8.30 pm neither will I go swimming. Knitting bores me to death. For whatever hobby I have time between 8.30 pm and midnight and frankly sometimes I'm too tired to do anything and reading is the best. Anyway, I meant "sick" as a metaphore. It annoys me not to read. But it will pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
As Fosca sings, in Stephen Sondheim's Passion:

I do not read to think. I do not read to learn.
I do not read to search for truth
I know the truth, the truth is hardly what I need.
I read to dream.

I read to live. In other people's lives.
I read about the joys the world
Dispenses to the fortunate,
And listen for the echoes.

I read to live,
To get away from life!
That is lovely!

@cromag, yeah, I think I will indeed take a break.
And @hardcastle, well I bough really discounted children ebooks recently, ones I was reading when I was small, now to read to my son but maybe I should read them myself first
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #27
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
@ Blithe

I'm off work for a week and am exactly in that situation of can't really be bothered to read, nor play games, browsing the web gets boring after a while, and I can only walk my dog so many times (especially with this rotten wet weather).

..... I'm now contemplating doing some spring cleaning.

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #28
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
When nothing new appeals to me despite a list of thousands of books I have not yet read I will go back to an old favorite. Some series deserve a "read" every so often. I always feel better after revisiting these old friends.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #29
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My remedy for reading slumps is Enid Blyton, especially the Five Finder-Outers series, but anything by her really. The books are easy to read and gripping so serve the purpose of getting me back into the HABIT of reading. Habit is essential. I don't agree with those who are advising you to do something else for a while, this will, imho, take you away from the daily habit of sitting down to read.

Just read something very light and instantly gripping.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #30
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Taught myself to read at age five in a Montessori School, wanted to see what all of those books said, and its been off to the races since then reading everything within arms reach. Reading is somewhat like breathing here, can't do without it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote