Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The alternative, that Amazon is using this as a Trojan Horse
Why the needlessly belligerent characterization?

Of COURSE Amazon would want more people to install the app store. Of course creating exclusive content and features is a way to encourage this. That's called "adding value" or "having a product with with stuff people want."
There's nothing sneaky or devious about it.
I'm calling sour grapes on all you people who claim every normal, sensible business decision by any successful company is some sort of evil plot.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #47
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
And because some said it worked for them to get the app from the amazon store I tried that again. If I fiddle I learn things right? . I had gotten it from the amazon app store first though and I never got a play button to get to the pop up asking me for the instant player. That was my issue.
So I uninstalled the apps I got through the apk on that site posted, made sure they are all gone.

I went and did as keeska said and searched in the amazon app store and clicked on the one that didn't say tablet. It mentioned in the description prime videos so I installed it. I also installed right away the instant player from the amazon app store and then I finally had a play button and it works now this way. I swear I tried that earlier, but considering how confused I was at the time, there is no saying where I went wrong.
I added the instant player app icon on the home page of my nexus and it goes straight to the videos through there, don't have to go through the amazon shop app.

I think for me lesson learned is not to try fiddling when I am already frustrated and confused, but to come back later and try again. Can't figure stuff out unless I do it, even if it takes me longer than the rest.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #48
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
And because some said it worked for them to get the app from the amazon store I tried that again. If I fiddle I learn things right? . I had gotten it from the amazon app store first though and I never got a play button to get to the pop up asking me for the instant player. That was my issue.
So I uninstalled the apps I got through the apk on that site posted, made sure they are all gone.

I went and did as keeska said and searched in the amazon app store and clicked on the one that didn't say tablet. It mentioned in the description prime videos so I installed it. I also installed right away the instant player from the amazon app store and then I finally had a play button and it works now this way. I swear I tried that earlier, but considering how confused I was at the time, there is no saying where I went wrong.
I added the instant player app icon on the home page of my nexus and it goes straight to the videos through there, don't have to go through the amazon shop app.

I think for me lesson learned is not to try fiddling when I am already frustrated and confused, but to come back later and try again. Can't figure stuff out unless I do it, even if it takes me longer than the rest.
After seeing this, I decided to do the same as you and just remove and install everything. If you try to install from Google Play, you can't install the phone version of Amazon app, but you're right - Amazon appstore lets you. I was on my phone when I first tried this - why on earth didn't the instant video app send me to the Amazon appstore to install the amazon app?!?

They really need to get their crap together. Is it that they can't imagine someone who wants instant video wouldn't already have the Amazon app installed? Why would I want to install it when I have 5 or 6 perfectly good browsers on my devices that work much better than that app?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
How do you use the Amazon App Store (to get the right version of the Amazon app) on a non-Amazon device? I'm confused how people are doing that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #50
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How do you use the Amazon App Store (to get the right version of the Amazon app) on a non-Amazon device? I'm confused how people are doing that.
You can install Amazon's app store on any android device - https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...shopall_adr_dl
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #51
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Yeah, that is how I got the amazon app store on my Nexus. It was one of the first apps I installed on it. I guess I am in the minority, but I turned my Nexus into a amazon tablet basically. I only get paid apps through my amazon app store, I already have many there, plus many coins still.
I don't really go into the play store much, other than for stuff that isn't in the amazon store like the TennisChannel, Scribd app and such. Rare though.

So I am still very much into the amazon eco system. I also use the kindle app on it as I can't find a font as readable as in that app with the other reader apps and all my books are basically on amazon. So with the prime videos everything is pretty much there now. Only thing missing is TTS in the kindle app.

The Nexus is my first non Fire tablet, so its been a learning curve for me. I actually miss the carousel, but the thingy button on the bottom right on the nexus is at least similar. The one it shows all the apps you had open at some point in order of usage. To me there is something to be said for the simplicity of the Fire tables.

Not to say I don't love my Nexus, I do. But I still use mostly the amazon eco system on it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #52
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Yeah, that is how I got the amazon app store on my Nexus. It was one of the first apps I installed on it. I guess I am in the minority, but I turned my Nexus into a amazon tablet basically. I only get paid apps through my amazon app store, I already have many there, plus many coins still.
I don't really go into the play store much, other than for stuff that isn't in the amazon store like the TennisChannel, Scribd app and such. Rare though.

So I am still very much into the amazon eco system. I also use the kindle app on it as I can't find a font as readable as in that app with the other reader apps and all my books are basically on amazon. So with the prime videos everything is pretty much there now. Only thing missing is TTS in the kindle app.

The Nexus is my first non Fire tablet, so its been a learning curve for me. I actually miss the carousel, but the thingy button on the bottom right on the nexus is at least similar. The one it shows all the apps you had open at some point in order of usage. To me there is something to be said for the simplicity of the Fire tables.

Not to say I don't love my Nexus, I do. But I still use mostly the amazon eco system on it.
The one thing I don't like about Amazon's app store is that apps always take longer to update there. If you like the carousel, search Google play for launcher apps with carousel. There's probably one that will do what you want. A launcher changes how your home pages on the device look - it's what I think is one of the best things about android. I can make my device look exactly how I want.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You can install Amazon's app store on any android device - https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...shopall_adr_dl
Wow. You learn something new every day. Thanks!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The very first app I install on any new non-Amazon Android device is the Amazon Appstore. The reason is to get free paid apps (primarily games) via the FAOTD.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #55
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The very first app I install on any new non-Amazon Android device is the Amazon Appstore. The reason is to get free paid apps (primarily games) via the FAOTD.
Don't forget the free coins you can earn. I still don't know what to do with the almost $40 I have left.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #56
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Moreover the overwhelming expectation about any Android media app these days is that it should support ChromeCast. This does not. I don't even know if it supports screen casting to Fire TV. The description does not say.........
App doesn't support ChromeCast natively, but you can use the ChromeCast App to Cast your screen. Am currently doing this & watching Alcatraz on my TV.
Not as easy as Netflix but better than nothing.

Can't help with the Fire TV question.

Amazon have made this unnecessarily complicated.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #57
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Thank you for your instructions, Purple Lady. That did the trick.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #58
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I see an amazon app store app but it's made by sweet wind. Is that right?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I see an amazon app store app but it's made by sweet wind. Is that right?
That's not it.

Go here and follow the instructions:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #60
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I've always liked the Amazon app store. I know that updates get pushed out a day or two slower sometimes, and that the app selection can be a bit more limited... but I still love it.

There's something wrong with me and I like it!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote