Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
New Apple tablet rumors point to Kindle clones?

New Apple tablet rumors point to Kindle clones?

An interesting news... I wonder what type of battery life this is going to have...
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given how poor the battery is in the iPhone/iPod Touch when making heavy use of the screen, I'd venture to say not good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
LittleMe
LittleMe began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch. Would like a Kindle 2.
Here they are thinking it will be a netbook. http://www.9to5mac.com/10-inch-screen-mac-laptop

But either one will be cool.
LittleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To build a LCD ebook reader would probobly be a misstake but I cant see apple building one without colour. But on the other hand, apple has never used the best technology, they just make it appear so...

Netbook is my guess, but not a cheap one more likes sonys netbook vaio P i thnk it is called. The question is if mac OS works that well on a Atom processor...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
To build a LCD ebook reader would probobly be a misstake but I cant see apple building one without colour. But on the other hand, apple has never used the best technology, they just make it appear so...

Netbook is my guess, but not a cheap one more likes sonys netbook vaio P i thnk it is called. The question is if mac OS works that well on a Atom processor...
That one is a yes. The folks at the various UMPC site forums are doing it.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that you mention it I remember hearing about that too.

The problmen might be to get it to run fast enough, I am sure it will run the OS but a big selling point for a mac is when you buy (a new) one everything just works, all apps and everything that a normal user want to use. IF some apps doesnt work with some new macs that will confuse costumers. And when they upgrade the normal macs a netbook mac might hold them back from adding a more demanding OS to them... I dont think that apple will do more than one version of OSX...

But hey my worries might be wrong and everything works great!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Druidsbane
Druidsbane began at the beginning.

Device: txtr
Personally I doubt they are coming out with a tablet, would be awesome but unless they can keep the weight down and keep battery life and performance competitive I'd agree with Steve Jobs' statement that they don't know how to build a sub $500 computer that isn't garbage. They might be using these screens are part of an update of their lineup since none of their laptops have touch-screens but an e-reader is almost impossible, netbook/tablet a little less so, and real computer with touch-screen as most likely. Just my $0.02.
Druidsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
ohbalto
Raaaargh!
ohbalto began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I think the 10" iPhone or iTablet or whatever you want to call it makes perfect sense.

And, I would buy one.

A 10" Mac using a variant of the iPhone OS (iPhone 2.0, for example) would be golden for me. All the tricks the iPhone can do, but in a larger screen? Hells yeah.

And, while I can see it having e-book software (including Amazon's Kindle app), it doesn't make sense -- to me -- for Apple to release an e-book reader. Sell books on the iTunes store? Sure. Read books through iTunes? Sure. A dedicated device? I really don't see it happening.

Now, if Apple partnered with Amazon to enable you to buy Kindle books via iTunes . . .
ohbalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Druidsbane
Druidsbane began at the beginning.

Device: txtr
http://www.pcworld.com/article/16118...ally_mean.html

Like ohbalto says, a 10" mac with the iPhone OS (3.0 most likely) would have enormous potential. It is already a stripped down version of OSX and the API is actually not that bad to program for, I could definitely see it being very functional to use. My only concern is power and weight to be honest. Would I use it as an ebook reader? Certainly part of the time I might, but I'd still prefer a simple e-ink display for that. No real details on the screen have been released as far as I know. We know the size but we don't know the type, it might be a reflective TFT for example. Only time will tell
Druidsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbalto View Post
I think the 10" iPhone or iTablet or whatever you want to call it makes perfect sense.

And, I would buy one.

A 10" Mac using a variant of the iPhone OS (iPhone 2.0, for example) would be golden for me. All the tricks the iPhone can do, but in a larger screen? Hells yeah.

And, while I can see it having e-book software (including Amazon's Kindle app), it doesn't make sense -- to me -- for Apple to release an e-book reader. Sell books on the iTunes store? Sure. Read books through iTunes? Sure. A dedicated device? I really don't see it happening.

Now, if Apple partnered with Amazon to enable you to buy Kindle books via iTunes . . .
Why would Apple consider, even for a moment, allowing Amazon to have a piece of their pie?

When Apple started itunes there were bigger music download sites than the original itunes out there. But apple brought the hoard of applephiles to the table, and solid aggressive corporate funding, They expanded their catalog to be as large as any out there, but it didn't happen over night. And today it is huge.

Amazon is not in a positions that Apple can't challenge and supersede. Indeed Apple has a history of doing just that.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
... The question is if mac OS works that well on a Atom processor...
Or, it may not even be Atom.

Apple acquired PA Semi last year, and there was quite a bit of speculation as to why. See this: http://beyond3d.com/content/news/634

On the other hand, while I personally would love a 10" tablet-style device that works well, I wouldn't buy it as a reader.

The main reason I purchased an e-reader, is the non-backlit, paper-like screen. And I don't think I am alone on this.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
CTH
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Or, it may not even be Atom.

Apple acquired PA Semi last year, and there was quite a bit of speculation as to why. See this: http://beyond3d.com/content/news/634
Interesting, but then they wouldnt be making a x86 device (if they would, we would probobly heard that they have bought a license from intel), could work for a tablet but I stand by my statement that I dont belive that they would make a special OSX version for a netbook that just should be a small mac. For a tablet that would be a large ipod touch, well that is much more possible.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
The question is if mac OS works that well on a Atom processor...
Its runs extremely well on a Dell Mini 9.
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbalto View Post
Battery life is the current obstacle to such devices. It's not great on the small screen of the current iPhone if you're using the screen a lot.

But once battery tech improves, such a device will be great. Especially if its matched by improvements in screen tech so we can have a color eInk screen that can look as good as LCD or some new tech that is as easy on the eyes for reading but also looks great for video, web surfing etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
CTH
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Battery life is the current obstacle to such devices. It's not great on the small screen of the current iPhone if you're using the screen a lot.
I agree but if you have a larger screen you will have a larger device and if you have a larger device you have room for a larger battery. It might not scale so well and the cost for the unit might go up to much but there is a possibility that the battery life is so big obstacle.