Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Apollo
Apollo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Stieg Larsson and coffee

In the first segment of the Millennium Trilogy, there are 126 references to coffee in around 460 pages. In the sequel, The Girl Who Played With Fire, there are 115 references to coffee in around 440 pages. So between every third and fourth page, someone is either drinking coffee or Stieg is commenting about coffee. This is the two books and I doubt the third is any different. One criticism about Larrson's writing in these books is constant listing and over-descriptive attitude towards furniture in particular. Did anyone else this and what do you think about it?
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
In Sweden we drink a lot of coffee. If you visit someone you are bound to be asked if you want a cup of coffee. If you meet a friend in town and you'd like to chat you have a cup of coffee together. At work we have coffee breaks. And never decaff!

But if you think this is bad, you should know that they drink even more coffee in Finland.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
It was noted in a lot of reviews. Personally I just thought it added positively to the books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I don't drink coffee myself especially at work because it keeps me awake during staff meetings.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
In the first segment of the Millennium Trilogy, there are 126 references to coffee in around 460 pages. In the sequel, The Girl Who Played With Fire, there are 115 references to coffee in around 440 pages. So between every third and fourth page, someone is either drinking coffee or Stieg is commenting about coffee. This is the two books and I doubt the third is any different. One criticism about Larrson's writing in these books is constant listing and over-descriptive attitude towards furniture in particular. Did anyone else this and what do you think about it?
To provide another data point, in The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler, the word coffee appears 73 times in 321 pages, or about once every 4.38 pages.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
In 2008, Sweden ranked 6th in a list of coffee-consuming countries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita.

(Coffee is my other hobby, however I've never read Stieg Larsson.)
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
As they said: we drink lots of coffee in Scandinavia. If you drop in to visit with someone you are offered coffee, we have coffee breaks at work, we have coffee first thing in the mornig and last thing at night. And lots of times in between...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
There are tons of references in critiques. In this one from The New York Times, the writer actually suggests (jokingly) that coffee killed Larsson:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/bo...ewanted=2&_r=1
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Let me ask you this before the boys take you in the back room.

You gota problem with coffee or somthin?

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
A long long time ago, a friend of mine told me: You know why I love to read crime novels? Because they're the only ones where you know what the characters are having for lunch.

I didn't like The Girl Who Played With Fire, but I don't mind reading details like this, if the writing is good (it's not in the case of Larsson IMO). They add an element of... I don't know, familiarity maybe. They make the characters more real I think.

Besides, IMO it's not really important what the authors writes about, as long as it's well written. A well kown French writer wrote a book describing in detail the content of every appartment in a building (at least that's how I remember it, it's been a long time since I read it). The book is called Life, a User's Manual.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
As they said: we drink lots of coffee in Scandinavia. If you drop in to visit with someone you are offered coffee, we have coffee breaks at work, we have coffee first thing in the mornig and last thing at night. And lots of times in between...
What she said. You risk coffee poisoning when visiting Scandinavians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
In 2008, Sweden ranked 6th in a list of coffee-consuming countries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita.
And of the top 6, the 5 are the Scandinavian countries.

BTW, IMHO you haven't missed out on a lot if you haven't read the books. But I definitely didn't notice that they drank a lot of coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee.png
Views:	244
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	56399  
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
jinjaninja
jinjaninja began at the beginning.

Device: none
I can't wait to visit Sweden, I love coffee more than any other drink, and I enjoy nothing more than drinking coffee and watching a Swedish Drama such as The Bridge, or reading a Stieg Larsson novel.
jinjaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
jinjaninja
jinjaninja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi June, I think I should relocate to Scandinavia - here in Scotland I work from home and enjoy coffee before I start work, then coffee breaks, then coffee business networking meetings and coffee after dinner.
jinjaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I personally found the details about coffee and food (like naming brands) over the top. I read the first 2 books as there was lots of talk about them, but I found them average, and couldn't be bothered to try the 3rd.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know this is an old, old resuscitated thread, but... coffee making/drinking/talking aside, I just never quite understood all the hype these books generated. I have to assume they were much better in the author's original language, because the English translations were pretty unremarkable. Decent. But not sweep-through-all-the-best-seller-lists "wow", by any means.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote