Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Does anyone have both the Gen3 and the Iliad?

I am finding that the iliad is just too darn big for me (I know some people are going to think that is crazy), so I was thinking of replacing it with the Gen3.

Does anyone have both of then and can maybe post a picture or two of a size comparison?

What I want is an ebook reader about the size of a regular paperback, which seems like a perfect size.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DTT
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I got both. The screen of the CyBook is exactly half of the iLiad. I use the CyBook for casual reading, because it fits nicely in my jackets pocket and the battery lats for a few days. I dont have a camera here atm or i would post a picture.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
I am finding that the iliad is just too darn big for me (I know some people are going to think that is crazy), so I was thinking of replacing it with the Gen3.

Does anyone have both of then and can maybe post a picture or two of a size comparison?

What I want is an ebook reader about the size of a regular paperback, which seems like a perfect size.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DTT
Don't have a picture of the iLiad and the Cybook, but I *DO* have a shot of the Cybook right next to my Dell Axim pda. (Or so I thought! I've been doing some reorganizing these past few days and I can't find it. I'll post one tomorrow.) So if you have an idea of the size of the Axim (pretty much similar in size to a Palm T3/T5), then you get a clue of the relative size of the Cybook. I must note the Cybook only weighs (sans softcover case) 6.13 ounces!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I got both. The screen of the CyBook is exactly half of the iLiad. I use the CyBook for casual reading, because it fits nicely in my jackets pocket and the battery lats for a few days. I dont have a camera here atm or i would post a picture.
Np...thx for the comments!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Don't have a picture of the iLiad and the Cybook, but I *DO* have a shot of the Cybook right next to my Dell Axim pda. (Or so I thought! I've been doing some reorganizing these past few days and I can't find it. I'll post one tomorrow.) So if you have an idea of the size of the Axim (pretty much similar in size to a Palm T3/T5), then you get a clue of the relative size of the Cybook. I must note the Cybook only weighs (sans softcover case) 6.13 ounces!
I look forward to the pic!

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I look forward to the pic!

Thanks!

Here it is. For reference, the entire length of my Dell Axim is 4 and 9/16ths inches. The vertical dimension of the *visible* portion of the screen on my Cybook is 4 and 13/16ths!

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADellAndCybook.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	12166  
Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The demensions of all the devices are on the Wiki. You could create a cardboard/posterboard cut out the size of the CyBook and compare that to your iRex.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Hi there!

I had the iRex and after a couple of months the Gen3 came out and I realised that I wanted to change! More or less my sole use for an e-book reader is for the 'fun' reading (aka mobipocket) and altho I do miss the large screen of the iRex (and therefore less page turning) I am very glad I changed over.

The Gen 3 is on much faster and the page turn is quicker .. the battery life is hugely better and as mentioned by someone else it's wayyy lighter too! (get a cover tho! lol)

My hubby still has his iRex and loves it but he uses it for work documents (PDFs) and it's my understanding that the only machine even half 'ok' for PDFs is the iRex.

Hope you're able to sort it out
Loopy

PS Yes, the Gen3 is paperback-ish (that's a word right?) in size
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
I've got an iLaid and will have a cyBook mid-week. Once it arrives, I'll be glad to post a photo of both together.

The screen on the cyBook is a 6-inch diagonal screen and (approx.) 16.74 sq in. and the iLiad is an 8.1-inch diagonal screen and (approx.) 30.8 sq in.

So the iLiad is about double the size in screen in terms of square inches, but I'm not sure that results in double the amount of text that one can get on the screen.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

I was ready to place my order for a Gen3...but after reading a few more threads about the LACK of response from Bookeen on support issues and the lack of a firmware update after the past 2 promised dates, makes me think twice.

Gosh can a company these days come out with a good product with good support??!!? It is NOT that hard!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Here it is. For reference, the entire length of my Dell Axim is 4 and 9/16ths inches. The vertical dimension of the *visible* portion of the screen on my Cybook is 4 and 13/16ths!
Derek
Ok, what did you do with Grandma's antique plates? Hid them in a drawer, just do you could use the plate holders for your gadgets?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
I attached a photo with my Cybook and ILiad side by side. Both in the original cover.
Both have there pros and cons. I like the big screen, library handling and the abillity to use a stylus for navigation on the ILiad. The smaller size and the long battery life of the bookeen are nice features.
I use the ILiad mostly at home and the Cybook on the road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ILiad-Cybook2.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	947.6 KB
ID:	12185  
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
I attached a photo with my Cybook and ILiad side by side. Both in the original cover.
Both have there pros and cons. I like the big screen, library handling and the abillity to use a stylus for navigation on the ILiad. The smaller size and the long battery life of the bookeen are nice features.
I use the ILiad mostly at home and the Cybook on the road
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I was ready to place my order for a Gen3...but after reading a few more threads about the LACK of response from Bookeen on support issues and the lack of a firmware update after the past 2 promised dates, makes me think twice.

Gosh can a company these days come out with a good product with good support??!!? It is NOT that hard!

Don't be so quick to judge. First, this is still a new product. It's only been since September that even evaluation units were available and late-November since commercial units were at hand. So think of this as a Model A car. Didn't have a lot of features we consider standard - and required a lot of user-input (cranking to start, etc) to operate. If you want an equivalent to a 2007 Dodge Charger, you're probably going to have to wait for a couple of years before you buy an e-ink reader. By then - and I'm prognosticating now - you'll be able to buy a hyper-foldable (uses hyperspace to compact into a 1" x 1" x 1/8" package), full-color, video-capable device designed to replace your TV, your phone, your desktop computer, your wife, dog and kids and act as a teleportation portal - all for $25!

Derek
Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
your phone, your desktop computer, your wife, dog and kids and act as a teleportation portal - all for $25!
Well, it might be €25 but $2500 the way the dollar is going.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote