Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
TABLES: How do you think I should do this layout?

I've got three pages of tables that didn't even fit in the paper book vertically that I need to reproduce in the eBook.
Apart from listing them:
Column header
Cell Data
2nd Column header
2nd cell dat
3rd Column header
3rd cell data
then start all over again for the next row.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0973_001.pdf (101.3 KB, 278 views)
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Personally I think e-books should reproduce the printed form, especially if someone might need a reference/quote from the book later on. By joining all three pages horizontally into a single page (remember, you can always zoom in), it could offset the page number for the rest of the book, thereby making the page references redundant.

PS: They're working on adding page numbers that correspond to the actual printed pages to ePUB, possibly other formats. If everything goes ok it should be enabled in the next ePUB revision.

Last edited by DSpider; 05-26-2011 at 08:22 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For complex tables, you could always include them as a graphic in the eBook; that's often the best way to do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For complex tables, you could always include them as a graphic in the eBook; that's often the best way to do it.
Do Kindles support zooming in like that Harry?

@DSpider - Thanks for that. But I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do graphics if the table is going to be in an ePub and will look good and fit on the screen?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do graphics if the table is going to be in an ePub and will look good and fit on the screen?
Hi Mr Wolf, did you see the example I posted in post #1. They wont fit on the screen as they are. I'm hoping someone will come up with a novel way of reformatting the text rather than creating an image of the table. It has so many columns I need someone to think outside the square and come up with another way of displaying the information.

I think it's going to be a list of some sort. However, I don't want to have to repeat the column headers for every row on the list.
C'mon you geniuses pull a rabbit out of the hat for me. Where's that magic wand when you need it?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Hi Mr Wolf, did you see the example I posted in post #1. They wont fit on the screen as they are. I'm hoping someone will come up with a novel way of reformatting the text rather than creating an image of the table. It has so many columns I need someone to think outside the square and come up with another way of displaying the information.

I think it's going to be a list of some sort. However, I don't want to have to repeat the column headers for every row on the list.
C'mon you geniuses pull a rabbit out of the hat for me. Where's that magic wand when you need it?
It can be done, but you need to make the text small and use a thin font. Also set the tables so they are a % of the total width. Yes, you may end up with longer rows as he text will not have all that much room. But that's the problem with a table like that in a variable screen size environment.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
I assumed you were going with PDF because of the sample, and it's why I suggested you stick with the original page numbers. If you wanna go with ePUB or something else, I'm not sure you can set the font size in percentage so it will reflow uniformly. Dynamic column width would be doable but the font size won't be dynamic. It's why people suggested graphics.

Actually yeah... Graphics. SVG graphics. Create the table in Inkscape and it will scale to the width (along with the text) just like a JPG/PNG will. And it will be crystal clear at any zoom level.

Last edited by DSpider; 05-27-2011 at 08:36 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
I assumed you were going with PDF because of the sample, and it's why I suggested you stick with the original page numbers. If you wanna go with ePUB or something else, I'm not sure you can set the font size in percentage so it will reflow uniformly. Dynamic column width would be doable but the font size won't be dynamic. It's why people suggested graphics.

Actually yeah... Graphics. SVG graphics. Create the table in Inkscape and it will scale to the width (along with the text) just like a JPG/PNG will. And it will be crystal clear at any zoom level.
I did say to set the column width to a % and use a thin font at small size. That's about the best you can do for a real table.

SVG is actually a good idea. But will it be too small on a 6" reader?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did say to set the column width to a % and use a thin font at small size. That's about the best you can do for a real table.

SVG is actually a good idea. But will it be too small on a 6" reader?
I've done the tables with dynamic sizing and 0.9em text size and it looks reasonable as an ePub but viewed on the Kindle Previewer it's crap. It goes off the edge of the page on one device and you only see headers on another.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I've done the tables with dynamic sizing and 0.9em text size and it looks reasonable as an ePub but viewed on the Kindle Previewer it's crap. It goes off the edge of the page on one device and you only see headers on another.
But Mobipocket and tables don't really work well together. So for the ePub you use the table and for Mobipocket, a graphic image (not SVG).
Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Personally, I think the problem arises from the original book's use of a table for verbose paragraphs of information. Attempting to follow their misstep is leading to grief.

You might consider a layout that is something more in the form of an outline or bullet list yielding copy with a linear flow.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Personally, I think the problem arises from the original book's use of a table for verbose paragraphs of information. Attempting to follow their misstep is leading to grief.

You might consider a layout that is something more in the form of an outline or bullet list yielding copy with a linear flow.
That's what I've been asking for. Got any suggestions on how to do it without having to repeat the headers for every row item?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
From a reader's perspecive, tables are tough in an ebook, and worse when you try to fit too much information on one page especially if you want larger font(me) or have a small screen.

I would rather see this information in paragraphs even if you have to present it via links in the first instance.

If I try to read tables without repeated headers, I often get lost and go back and forth trying to work out what bit goes with what, and those that are set in as pictures usually end up being too small for me to read effectively. (I hate putting specs on to read)

I read the technical pdfs etc on my large computer screen because I find it too frustrating making sense of tables on my reader.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One issue with the table in the PDF. You have possible side effects after the remedy. So you have to skip a column, read the other column and move back.

But, I do think this information can be presented without having to use a table. Have a look at the spoiler to see what I mean. The information is not for everyone so I put it in a spoiler to be safe.

Spoiler:
...Natural Progesterone is a cream which can be administered via the skin or inserted high up into the vagina last thing at night.
...The average dosage is 50mg daily but the dose may range from 10mg to 200mg daily. Given approximately 14 days before onset of the menstrual bleeding.
...The benefits are relief of the symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome such as mood disorders, pelvic congestion, migraines, heavy bleeding menstrual pain and fatigue. May reduce breast pain. May increase fertility. May alleviate post nasal depression.
...Possible side effects include some breakthrough bleeding if doses are excessive. Breakthrough bleeding is more likely to occur if the cream is inserted into the vagina. When used vaginally, some vaginal irritation may occur if the base of the cream is unsuitable. Excessive doses can lead to bloating and drowsiness.
...If you have any of the side effects, reduce the dose until the side effect disappear. Talk to your compounding pharmacist if the cream causes irritation of the skin of vagina as a different base for the cream can be used.

The problem is you are presenting too much information in a table format that really doesn't work unless you are talking about a fixed size space where you can hand craft the table to fit as best as possible.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-29-2011 at 04:34 PM.