Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
shoukyd
shoukyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fetched News saved to wrong location on Sony PRS-505

Calibre 0.7.46

The generated files are sent to "Device" (i.e. Internal Memory) instead of Card A that I set as the Default (Send to Device -> Set Default Send... -> Send and Delete... -> Card A)

Is there any other setting that I am missing?
shoukyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoukyd View Post
Calibre 0.7.46

The generated files are sent to "Device" (i.e. Internal Memory) instead of Card A that I set as the Default (Send to Device -> Set Default Send... -> Send and Delete... -> Card A)

IIRC News is sent to the storage with the most space.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

There is no other setting. Calibre autosend of news sends the news to main memory if there is room, if there isn't enough room then it will send it to the SD card.

Quote:
Release: 0.7.45 [11 Feb, 2011]

New Features
  • When automatically sending news to device, send to main memory preferentially, if it has enough space. Closes tickets: 8877
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
shoukyd

You are right, the behavior changed after the upgrade to 0.7.45
The problem is this:
1) I use the main memory to store items of a more permanent nature.
2) Previously, all the news was sent to the Default (i.e. Card A and deleted from the library). After it was downloaded to the device I would sort it out by date and delete older versions of the news (is there any other way to purge the old versions?)
3) With the new feature, the news goes to the main memory and than overflows to Card A when the main is full. This makes it impossible to sort out the news (its spread on two locations) and delete the old versions. So I need to copy the news back from the main memory to the Library, delete it from the main memory and than transfer it to Card A.
4) Why can't Calibre just use the "Default" setting for downloading news?

Last edited by shoukyd; 02-25-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
shoukyd

Just read ticket http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/8877:
It looks like a basic behavior change for everyone just to fix a bug for the Nook.
This also overrides the "Default" mechanism in a very confusing way.
There must be a better way to fix bugs so they don't alter established functionality.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
2) Previously, all the news was sent to the Default (i.e. Card A and deleted from the library). After it was downloaded to the device I would sort it out by date and delete older versions of the news (is there any other way to purge the old versions?)
Not quite true. While sending it to a default sounds like a good idea, previously it just sent it to the area with the most free memory space.

Quote:
4) Why can't Calibre just use the "Default" setting for downloading news?
Maybe it can use that setting but it never has before. The only change is now it sends to main memory vice sending it to the area with the most space available. As it stands now if you want it to go to the sd card you can't do it automatically, it must be done manually. Before if you wanted to send it to main memory you had to do it manually.

Quote:
It looks like a basic behavior change for everyone just to fix a bug for the Nook.
True, now the folks that wanted the news to go to main memory can do it automatically and those that want it sent to the sd card must resort to manual methods. Clearly this is six of one half dozen of the other.

Quote:
This also overrides the "Default" mechanism in a very confusing way.
Less confusing once you understand it never used the default you refer to in deciding where to send the news.

Quote:
There must be a better way to fix bugs so they don't alter established functionality.
Established functionality was arbitrary biased toward automatically sending it to the sd card, now it is biased to automatically sending it to main memory.

Maybe you should submit an enhancement request to see if it can be changed to the way you thought it worked.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote