Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
BSalita
Software Developer
BSalita began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3
Kindle 3 Can't Login on SafariBooksOnline

Words of warning for those looking to use a Kindle 3 for SafariBooksOnline.com service, there's a known problem that Kindle 3 can't login on SafariBooksOnline. The issue is that keyboard input doesn't work at all. That renders the service inoperable. Support says they are well aware of it and they'll fix it RSN.

I don't get how the leading service for online reading, from a leading publisher of computer books, can't resolve a login bug. Maybe the devs don't read their own books. Maybe they all have Kindle 3s?
BSalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
shoey
shoey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
yup i encountered exactly the same issue! in fact having access to the safari books online's mobile site was one of my primary reason for buying the kindle.

i found that i can still access the main (non mobile) site, but it is horrendous. have to keep zooming in and out. also, i discovered a similar issue on aonther mobile site so it might have to do with kindle;s browser rendering rather than safari - dont know..
shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Are these problems happening after installing the latest firmware for the Kindle?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
BSalita
Software Developer

The problem exists on all firmware versions.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Probably same issue that prevents me from checking gmail at all.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Probably same issue that prevents me from checking gmail at all.
I can check and download from my gmail to my K3 just fine (a Clibre subbscription until I learned a better way). What is happening for you?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
shoey
shoey began at the beginning.

i can check email fine as well (gmail, mobile site)
shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I can see the two login boxes, but can't enter anything via the keyboard. I can move the mouse around and the box becomes highlighted, but I can't ever type anything in. I finally gave up and am using my phone, instead (which, since I upgraded to a Galaxy S, works so well that I don't really care if the Kindle will work for this).

Perhaps they fixed the original gmail issue with the firmware update (or gmail fixed it at their end), as I haven't even tried it since the first couple of days that I had the Kindle (I got mine on release day -1 ).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I can see the two login boxes, but can't enter anything via the keyboard. I can move the mouse around and the box becomes highlighted, but I can't ever type anything in. I finally gave up and am using my phone, instead (which, since I upgraded to a Galaxy S, works so well that I don't really care if the Kindle will work for this).

Perhaps they fixed the original gmail issue with the firmware update (or gmail fixed it at their end), as I haven't even tried it since the first couple of days that I had the Kindle (I got mine on release day -1 ).
I have not updated to the new firmware and can still access gmail. have you tired zooming in on the page so the cursor is easier to move?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
PaulB
PaulB began at the beginning.

I have encountered the same problem with entering either user or password on a number of sites including Mobile gmail(m.gmail.com),but not www.gmail.com, even m.mobileread.com but not www.mobileread.com, before and after the firmware update. I've only noticed it on mobile versions of sites, or sites that redirect kindles automatically to their mobile version. As a temporary fix I go through Skweezer.com or Google transcode at google.com/gwt/n
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I have been using the regular non-mobile site.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
nicwerner
nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
Lightbulb We are looking into this issue

Hello,

I'm the mobile product manager for Safari Books Online. We are aware of this issue and are investigating a resolution. However, we just received our Kindle 3 yesterday (love it!) so please be patient.

While I have a feeling this is a problem with the K3 browser and that Amazon may release an update soon, I'd rather not wait. Our mobile login page is W3C validated, well-formed, etc so if anyone can offer any insights as to why the K3 browser is having issues, please send them to me at: nwerner@safaribooksonline.com .

Thanks!

- Nic Werner
Safari Books Online
nicwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
BSalita
Software Developer

Thanks for the update Nic. I like your request for information. It's the smart thing to do at this stage of problem solving.

I'm really excited about using Safari on the Kindle 3. It's a pure synergistic fit. Here's hoping the reading experience is really good.

I don't get it. How come you guys only got a K3 yesterday? Seems like Safari should be in on a beta or at least first shipment. If I knew that was a problem I would have sent you mine.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
nicwerner
nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nicwerner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
Issue resolved!

We have resolved the issue with users not being able to sign in to the Safari Books Online mobile site from the Kindle3. This issue is that the K3 browser doesn't accept XHTML or XML inputs.

If you notice anything else, please send me an email, nwerner@safaribooksonline.com

@Bsalita - Amazon doesn't have an early release program, so we wait in line just like everyone else, and hope we get it quickly!

- Nic.
nicwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #15
BSalita
Software Developer

Comfirming Resolution

I can confirm that the login issue is resolved. Thanks.

I'm going to start another thread on the SafariBooksOnline Reading Experience. I'm not at all happy with the experience. I'm sure there's things that I can do and Safari can do to improve the experience.

Last edited by BSalita; 09-17-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Tags
login, safari, safaribooksonline