Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #16
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The threads are deleted because they violate the terms that everyone agrees to when they create an account at Apple forums.
Gee, guess I should have read the terms of service. No, wait, life's too short. What do they say? Don't criticize Apple? Don't link to criticism of Apple?

Anyway, I don't think Apple is being all that wise, in terms of handling the Consumer Reports thing. You don't play with the consumer press and not put yourself in a rather bad position. Think of the SUVs that rolled over too easily, or the problems on Lexus traction control, etc. They love to print your denial right next to the test showing you're full of it. Sells magazines. Although CR, I think, is at least also about getting it right, and protecting the Consumer.

I generally respect companies that are up-front and consumer friendly enough to run forums or similar. If they don't frequently, someone else will, but I think it kind of works better if you have input from the company, some level of moderation to cut the spam and trolls. And for the most part, Apple does that, although deleting stuff it doesn't like is definitely dark-side behavior. But otherwise their support, in my experience, has been good. Kind of a no-win situation for them, I suppose. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Amazon, etc., all run fairly decent user forums, it's a big plus in my mind, although you have to learn to read the things properly, everything gets criticized, rightly or wrongly. But I remember one batch of HP video cards that went from "nothing wrong" to "we'll replace for free", after a pattern was seen, and users kind of diagnosed the problem for them (bad bearings in the fan).

And I should note, even do-no-harm Google has shut down discussions it did not like, search for the Google Desktop Enterprise Search newsgroup some time, see what they did there (although Google at least left the old data up).

That's one reason I like independents, like Mobileread. Better for comparisons and less likely to lawyer up on you on terms of service, less likely to disappear something.

Last edited by pwjone1; 07-14-2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: punctiation
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
It's pretty sad, actually, that a brand that prides itself in best practises (at a price) is such a knuckle-dragger about its reputation: banning apps, content, prosecuting journalists for "leaks", and this regular policy of deleting threads from its so-called support forums. Apple is obsessed with managing the message, ironically having become the very "establishment" the brand was created to destroy.
I agree with you. There is a big difference in what a company like Apple says and what they actually do. What they sell most is marketing. They are extremely adept at it and have convinced millions to be absolute zealots about their products. I own an iPod touch and it's the last Apple product I will own since so much more can be done with an Android product.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
You can't really expect Apple to behave any differently given the cult of religion that has grown around the company over the years, including in the press. Unfortunately for them, their iPhone, iPod and iPad lines have achieved so much mainstream success that they are now encountering a lot of people, customers and others, who don't drink the koolaid.

Turns out, Apple is no better and no worse than any other company. Who knew? But, they make some great products, and they're no doubt going to continue to have a lot of mainstream success.

They'll figure it out.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
Gee, guess I should have read the terms of service. No, wait, life's too short
I read the Terms of service before participating in the Apple Discussions (since 2004), and the Terms of service before participating in Mobileread's forums. Just seems like simple courtesy.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Interesting. Apple has become the 800 gorilla.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow no kidding!? I'm surprised people are not more upset about Apples practices. It's one thing to moderate a forum due to fowl language and offensive material.

It's another thing to delete forums because it doesn't make a companies product look good. Apple must realize it is acting unethical as they claim it was a server error and are not admitting intent.
I expect people grew to expect that from Apple over the years, so why surprised?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #22
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
You can't really expect Apple to behave any differently given the cult of religion that has grown around the company over the years, including in the press. Unfortunately for them, their iPhone, iPod and iPad lines have achieved so much mainstream success that they are now encountering a lot of people, customers and others, who don't drink the koolaid.
Precisely.

Welcome to the real world, Apple.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Precisely.

Welcome to the real world, Apple.
I can just imagine people saying that out loud right now-the tone of their voices.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I read the Terms of service before participating in the Apple Discussions (since 2004)
Then can you tell us what Terms the removed posts violated?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Then can you tell us what Terms the removed posts violated?
Who said that Violating the Terms was the reason they removed them?
The only CR post I read was this one:

Topic : Consumer reports has un-recommended the iPhone 4
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....03228&tstart=0
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
sooo...every single post is always on topic and does not violate the terms...except the consumer reports posts...mmmm
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #27
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigm View Post
sooo...every single post is always on topic and does not violate the terms...except the consumer reports posts...mmmm
Did you read my Ars Technica link on the first page?

And they do delete posts that violate the Terms-not sure where you get the idea that they don't. I'm assuming that posts that stay on Mobileread don't violate their Terms either.

Last edited by kjk; 07-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
bwahahahahaha!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The threads are deleted because they violate the terms that everyone agrees to when they create an account at Apple forums.

I don't see the big deal. The Apple forums are user to user tech support forums. They are not discussion forums to discuss blogs from all over the web. It's sad that so many people like to blow something out of proportion.

Should bloggers scream when Mobileread deletes a thread or locks it because it violates the Mobileread terms?
guess what! we do!!!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Did you read my Ars Technica link on the first page?

And they do delete posts that violate the Terms-not sure where you get the idea that they don't. I'm assuming that posts that stay on Mobileread don't violate their Terms either.

That's what I was getting at. There will always be topics that for some reason don't belong where they are or just don't belong, happens here too. Most forums that I read usually let you know what happens with posts the moderators move/remove.
Something as high profile as the iPhone will always raise an alarm when Apple remove negative posts, even if the users were actually wrong......in SJ's eye is almost always the case...remember we are wrong, Apple is right.
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #30
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
its sad i like apple products
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote