Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
sjw
sjw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Converting to azw3 when sending to device..

I have some mobis that I can't get to appear on my Kindle (see here). I've changed my preferred output in Preferences - Behaviour - Preferred output format to AZW3. However, when I send my books to the Kindle they still appear on it as mobi files. Do files need to be converted in advance? I was expecting this option to make Calibre convert the books to AZW3 upon the 'send'?
sjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
IIRC it will only convert if a supported format is not available, if you have mobi in the list it will send that if theres no AZW3. Remove mobi from the list and only have AZW3 and it should then convert.

Probably a good idea to pre-covert though as it can take a long time if you're doing lots of books.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Auto conversion only gets done IF:

There are no available Supported (device driver settings) formats

Mobi is supported (and is native to the device)

You GAIN little to nothing converting Mobi to AZW3 because there is no new format info to be gleaned from the source.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Although AZW3 has no benefit on the device in that circumstance, it's still beneficial to have AZW3 stored in Calibre because of the ease of editing it.

If you wanted to FORCE the sending (and auto-conversion) of AZW3 you could do so by going to the Kindle driver preferences and unchecking the "Mobi" option, leaving only "AZW3" checked.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-01-2015 at 01:03 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although AZW3 has no benefit on the device in that circumstance, it's still beneficial to have AZW3 stored in Calibre because of the ease of editing it.
I don't disagree. I edit.
A-mazing how many 1 to 1 (Paper to e-format) have the huge (many times, larger than will fit on a 5" screen)whitespace areas that the Paper version had. (I am not a Zero whitespace, cram as much as possible, fanboy either)

OTOH the OP did not indicate any wish to do other than send AZW3

So OP, If you want a better book, Edit the AZW3, then send (And remember to move AZW3 above Mobi in the Device preference
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
sjw

Thanks all - I will try this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
...So OP, If you want a better book, Edit the AZW3, then send (And remember to move AZW3 above Mobi in the Device preference
Forgive my ignorance - but is an AZW3 file formatted differently on screen? Otherwise, why the recommendation to Edit the AZW3 file?
I hadn't realised the output options were in a re-orderable list. I'm only converting to AZW3 because the mobi versions aren't showing up on the Kindle after sending them to the device (link in first post above).
Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nobody's recommending that you edit the AZW3 file, but there are many reasons why you may wish to edit it to change the formatting. Should you wish to do so, Calibre's editor can edit AZW3 files, but not Mobi files.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw View Post
Thanks all - I will try this later.

Forgive my ignorance - but is an AZW3 file formatted differently on screen? Otherwise, why the recommendation to Edit the AZW3 file?
I hadn't realised the output options were in a re-orderable list. I'm only converting to AZW3 because the mobi versions aren't showing up on the Kindle after sending them to the device (link in first post above).
Not really a Mobi (inside) or Damaged
DRM infested mobi on an unregisterd/differently registered device

Did you try and 'restart' your PW?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It could be the indexer jammed on a badly-formatted book. Doing a conversion in calibre has been known to fix this.
Converting to MOBI should theoretically work too -- but of course once you are converting anyway, AZW3 is more future-proof.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
sjw

Kindle has bee restarted. Index been deleted (and completes re-index). It's not just one book that doesn't appear, it's any mobi file (they do go to the Kindle documents folder etc.).
Old 09-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Are you able to view these Mobi files in Calibre's viewer OK?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
sjw

Quote:
Are you able to view these Mobi files in Calibre's viewer OK?
Yes, absolutely fine. It's not a problem with the books. If I remove an existing one (sent via Calibre) and then add it again it no longer shows up.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My only suggestion, I'm afraid, would be a Factory Reset of the Kindle.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #14
sjw

Quote:
My only suggestion, I'm afraid, would be a Factory Reset of the Kindle.
Thanks, thought as much. Tried to send to a different Kindle earlier on (not a PW) and they went fine. In the middle of a couple of books but will do so as soon as I can.