Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #631
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
I just received my Paperwhite yesterday.

In the beginning, I expected a device as advertised (a perfect one, I guess, lol), but as the time passed and people wrote down their experience (uneven lightning, color blotches), my expectations decreased (a lot, I`d say). Here is my first post on the subject (not a very optimistic one).

When I turned my PW on last night, I just hoped for the one I`d be happy with, and I must say that I was positively surprised -- while I could see some discoloration on the highest level setting (warm pink/cold blue variations over the screen), I really needed to look for it, and I might not even notice it if I didn`t expect to see it. Once I actually start reading the text, I don`t see the "blotches". But that highest light setting is too bright for me anyway, I read on brightness level 12 in the dark and it was a great experience (I might even choose some lower brightness levels in the future) -- good bye bed lamps and bus overhead lights (while people look at you strangely, trying to get some sleep while "some idiot turned the light on").

One strange thing I also noticed is that the bottom shadows are almost invisible, even on the brightest light setting Of course that there is a small difference here and there, in the lower 2 mm maybe, but I don`t notice it at all until I focus on seeing it

To wrap it up, I`m pretty much happy with my Kindle Paperwhite... Pretty much, because I noticed a small "dead pixel" in the lower left part of the screen, like 2 cm from the bottom and 2.5 cm from the left part of the screen. It`s invisible on lower light settings, and starts to get really annoying on higher light settings (like a white dot over the text, being too bright). I guess it`s an issue with that light guide layer, being either damaged (a pinhole) or having a dust particle somewhere in there (if dust can be the issue here), causing the light to probe up to much, making a glowing pinhole. I even wanted to wipe it off a few times while reading, forgetting that it isn`t just a dust particle on top of the screen

Anyway, I contacted Amazon customer support, and after a few regular troubleshooting steps, a really helpful and kind support guy offered to send a replacement, so I`m waiting for a replacement team e-mail now. Having in mind that this is my first Kindle and Amazon experience, I need to say that I`m really delighted with the way they handled the issue =) I`d really like to enjoy this without any distractions.

We`ll see if the replacement one will be better (it doesn`t need to be much better, though, as this one is really good for me, but I just hope the replacement won`t have any "dead pixels", pinholes in the light guide layer), while in the meantime I`ll certainly enjoy reading on the one I have now. It isn`t as perfect as they advertised it at first, but it is pretty much everything I wanted from an e-book reader anyway. I was happy with my previous eReader, too (Prestigio PER3162BN), but the possibility to read it in dark without any external light source just brings the experience to a higher level, the only one I missed so far.

Btw, for those interested, I got a device from batch 603.
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #632
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I just (still) cannot believe there are hundreds and thousands of Kindles out there that are so bad.
There clearly aren't. You only have to count the number of complaints in this thread and compare it with the number of PW owners here to see that the overwhelming majority of PW owners are satisfied with it. (Not that that makes the problems suffered by the small number who aren't happy are less real for them, I hasten to add.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #633
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugA View Post
To wrap it up, I`m pretty much happy with my Kindle Paperwhite... Pretty much, because I noticed a small "dead pixel" in the lower left part of the screen, like 2 cm from the bottom and 2.5 cm from the left part of the screen. It`s invisible on lower light settings, and starts to get really annoying on higher light settings (like a white dot over the text, being too bright). I guess it`s an issue with that light guide layer, being either damaged (a pinhole) or having a dust particle somewhere in there (if dust can be the issue here), causing the light to probe up to much, making a glowing pinhole. I even wanted to wipe it off a few times while reading, forgetting that it isn`t just a dust particle on top of the screen
On the first PW I got, I had a hairline fracture in the screen. The replacement had the issue you're describing here, where it's just 1 small glowing speck on higher light settings. I was a bit miffed when I first inspected it, but in the long run I haven't actually noticed it at all because it's in the margins where it never actually overlaps any text. Hopefully the replacement they give you turns out better.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #634
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting question for those who have received replacements - did they have little pieces stuck in the bezel that can only be described as 'hair' looking? like little white hair (obv some sort of plastic). Both replacements had this, not on the original ones at all.
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #635
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yes! My replacement has a tiny "hair"/wire thingy in the bottom bezel. I tried plucking it out but it wouldn't come out.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #636
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Odd isn't it - what on earth could it be? some grey haired people cleaning them up (jk!!). Seems like some sort of plastic piece but nfi why they'd be placed between bezel and screen.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #637
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is what you mean, right?

It used to drive me crazy in the beginning but I don't really notice it that much when I'm reading so now I just try not to actually go looking for it
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #638
drewh
Connoisseur

the pic makes it look like a mark on the bezel but if a piece sticking out, yep thats it. Have you tried grabbing some tweezers from somewhere and pulling it out that way?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #639
xtine
Addict

It looks like a piece of hair is sticking out and yes, I actually tried using tweezers before but I just couldn't get the thing out. In hindsight, that may have been a blessing. If it is a wire, maybe it's connected to the wiring for the LEDs?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #640
drewh
Connoisseur

Just seems odd though for the non-replacements to not have it if a wire from LEDs. Can't think of any reason that they'd need those pieces for the replacements (unless they replace the black bezel on them and put the little piece so they know? but it seems odd.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #641
xtine
Addict

My replacement didn't come with an R on the box though so I'm not entirely sure that only replacements have this.

Here's another picture, just so other people know what we're talking about

Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #642
drewh
Connoisseur

PS its funny how if you look at the replacement box, its usually trashed (my last one had scratches all over it and barely closed), the replacement sticker barcode hastily stuck onto the back etc. Wouldnt it be easier just to use a normal clean box for them!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #643
drewh
Connoisseur

Thats exactly the piece I mean. Oh yours didnt come with an R? Interesting - both my replacements did and the trashed boxes. Wonder what those pieces could be for...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #644
xtine
Addict

Nope, mine didn't come with an R. I checked for an R all over the box when I received my replacement and didn't find the R sticker anywhere. I'd have to recheck again to be totally sure though. If it does have an R, it's supposed to be stuck over the bar code?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #645
drewh
Connoisseur

Yeh, on the back edge where the barcode is (if looking at the box front on, top edge), it instead has the barcode with an R. You can easily tell as it looks like its been printed and slapped on (not the same 'look' as a normal barcode if that makes sense).