Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Kate Morton fans - what else do you read?

I've now read two of her books, The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton. I love them, and I have a birthday in a couple of weeks and will probably get gift cards to buy ebooks with. I'll get her other books, and I'd like other suggestions as well.

I want to know other authors I might like, including some independent authors, as I've had good luck in some cases with them. It's an issue of finding the grain amid the chaff.

What have you loved?
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Some other authors that you might like are Diane Setterfield, Tatiana de Rosnay and Sarah Addison Allen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've read Tatiana de Rosnay and have loved her books. I'll check out the others. Thanks!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today's Nook Daily Find is Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio for $2.99. I bought it this morning and am already halfway through it. I plan to check out her other books sometime. You might enjoy her writing.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Today's Nook Daily Find is Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio for $2.99. I bought it this morning and am already halfway through it. I plan to check out her other books sometime. You might enjoy her writing.
I bought Blackberry Winter because of all the great reviews, but it is the first novel this year I may not be able to finish (and I've read 168 all of which my OCD compelled me to read to the last page). I just don't get all the great reviews.

Maybe I know Seattle and the Olympic Hotel (I once worked there) too well, but I can't pick myself up from the unrealistic stumbling blocks. The writing just isn't good enough to propel me on.

So, Bookworm_Girl, do you recommend that I continue reading? What is your opinion of the book?
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I used to live in Seattle which is part of why I enjoyed the book. It could be nostalgia for the area influenced my forgiveness of some of the more unrealistic aspects. That's how many books are in this genre though. Maybe I was just in the mood for something light when I read it, and $2.99 was a good deal to try a new author. It's definitely not of the same writing caliber as Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet for example.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for responding. I'm going to finish the book. I had high expectations for the book because of the presentation and the reviews. That's probably the problem since I've happily read mediocre books I never expected much from except a light, entertaining read.

The setting is accurate enough (except for the May snowstorm in Seattle, but that's okay). I stumbled over the hotel maids cleaning rooms at night which happened in no hotel ever. Rooms are cleaned during the day for occupancy at night.

Strange that I have no problem with vampires, werewolves, time travel, ghosts, and zombies, but a night shift of hotel room cleaners was too unrealistic.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Ha ha. You made me smile! It could be that since you worked at the hotel your expectations were too high. I lived in the suburbs and would love to move back to Seattle some day and live downtown. I had no expectations other than I had heard of Sarah Jio but didn't know much about her work except it was recommended to people who like Kate Morton. You might want to try some of the other authors I recommended. I think their writing is of better quality. I do plan to check out another Sarah Jio book sometime in the future if the plot sounds interesting and the price is right for comparison.