Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #121
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
The thing is, the same happened to a VERY similar extension I wrote even before 5.1.0 was out.
How do you install this? It is not like other extensions that work in the launcher menu (menu.json, bin directory, etc.)...

Where does the .jar file belong? I have not used your method before...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #122
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
How do you install this? It is not like other extensions that work in the launcher menu (menu.json, bin directory, etc.)...

Where does the .jar file belong? I have not used your method before...
Install by putting the ktplayer folder in the extensions folder.
This is a java menu extension. Similar ones are the wpa-eap support and the OLD hackedupreader launcher. Read the first few posts on the Launcher thread.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #123
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Read the first few posts on the Launcher thread.
Please provide a link. My search keywords were inadequate.

EDIT: I looked in the hackeupreader thread. I see that the new ones use update*.bin files. I do not know how the old one works.

Did you use the "application registry" thing mentioned by ixtab in that thread?

I do not have more time to invest in this right now, and I need to study this before I will understand how it works. I only used yifanlu's launcher menu methods for my personal launcher menu items (such as a menu item that "instantly" boots to diags using kexec).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #124
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please provide a link. My search keywords were inadequate.

EDIT: I looked in the hackeupreader thread. I see that the new ones use update*.bin files. I do not know how the old one works.

Did you use the "application registry" thing mentioned by ixtab in that thread?

I do not have more time to invest in this right now, and I need to study this before I will understand how it works. I only used yifanlu's launcher menu methods for my personal launcher menu items (such as a menu item that "instantly" boots to diags using kexec).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161263. Also, I didn't use the application registry and the java extension IS by yifanlu(if you look at the imports like com.yifanlu.*). Will try to contact ixtab. These java extensions are used for more complex tasks, like parsing a directory for avi files, and then adding a menu item for each one. I mostly use the json ones too

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-18-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #125
geekmaster

Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161263. Also, I didn't use the application registry and the java extension IS by yifanlu(if you look at the imports like com.yifanlu.*). Will try to contact ixtab. These java extensions are used for more complex tasks, like parsing a directory for avi files, and then adding a menu item for each one. I mostly use the json ones too
Here is ixtab's launcher menu that ONLY works on v5.1.0:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2075539

I installed it on my K5 after upgrading to 5.1.0. His download has a README that includes this:
-----
If you make a JSON menu extension, you can see the example extension's menu options or read this: http://yifanlu.github.com/KindleLaun...u(java.io.File)

If you make a Java menu extension, import the Kindle's JARs along with KindleLauncher.jar into your Java IDE and create a class that implements the com.yifanlu.Kindle.Menuable interface.

More information: http://yifanlu.github.com/KindleLaun.../Menuable.html
-----
I only used JSON menu extensions myself. Did you follow his instructions for the Java menu extension?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-18-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #126
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Here is ixtab's launcher menu that ONLY works on v5.1.0:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2075539
Yes, but that is the whole launcher, isn't it? This is just an extension.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #127
aditya3098
Guru

Yes, I followed the instructions for making a java extension. I stole a LOT of code from the HUR extension
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #128
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I am having trouble with the extension. I managed to compile the extension and made a policy file and then ran
Code:
mntroot rw; cat /mnt/us/extensions/ktplayer/ktplayer.policy >>/usr/java/lib/security/java.policy ; mntroot ro; killall cvm
Not only does the extension not work but it even brakes the launcher i.e if I tap the launcher when the extension is enabled, it doesn't open up. I am attaching the extension and a netbeans project:
Please provide a stack trace. There is certainly one to be found in showlog.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #129
aditya3098
Guru

The output of showlog -f is attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt kplayererror.txt (28.0 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #130
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The output of showlog -f is attached
Here is your problem:

Code:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.lang.StringBuilder
You are obviously building the project with the wrong settings. The Kindle is Java 1.4, and that class doesn't exist in 1.4. Fix your project settings to compile with a target version of 1.4.

Some more background: this is a classic actually (and it happened to me too, more than once ). The problem here is String concatenation. String s = "x"+"y"; is internally "resolved" by instantiating a StringBuilder (>= Java 5), or a StringBuffer ( <= Java 1.4).

StringBuilder was introduced in Java 1.5 as a more performant drop-in replacement for the (Thread-safe, and thus less performant) StringBuffer class.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #131
aditya3098
Guru

That explains things...
Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #132
ixtab
(offline)

You're welcome.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #133
aditya3098
Guru

Working...

Still working on the extension. I might not be able to finish it within a week but am attaching the eclipse project for the current dev version here. It seems to be giving me some trouble with the environment vars so I tried running it through sh (and adding the entry to the policy file).
EDIT: @Ehhh Please modify your einkplayer so that you do NOT need to specify the environment varible GST_PLUGINS_PATH

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-20-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #134
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Don't work for me, Display just got cleared but it plays nothing.
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #135
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Still working on the extension. I might not be able to finish it within a week but am attaching the eclipse project for the current dev version http://ge.tt/8akYCvH/v/0. It seems to be giving me some trouble with the environment vars so I tried running it through sh (and adding the entry to the policy file).
EDIT: @Ehhh Please modify your einkplayer so that you do NOT need to specify the environment varible GST_PLUGINS_PATH
Hmm...
I see this in your .settings file (among other things):
Quote:
. . .
org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.codegen.targetPlatfo rm=1.2
org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.compliance=1.4
org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.source=1.3
. . .
I am not an Eclipse expert, but that reads a bit inconsistent.
Is that the way you intended it to be set up or did something slip in there?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote