Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Help! My Kindle has gone crazy!

Please somebody help me! While reading a book this morning, I tried to bookmark a page and all I got was 'Your Kindle memory is full and the note or mark could not be saved. Please make more Kindle memory available by removing content from Home'. I was shocked, I have 2.4GB free on the Kindle.

Next I tried to get back into the book I was reading from Home and the Kindle won't remember the last read page. It keeps going back to start of the book. Tried a few other books and it won't remember where I stopped in them either.

Tried a restart. Twice. Things went from bad to worse. Books disappeared from collections. I tried searching my Kindle in case there was an unindexed book causing trouble and it froze my kindle. Twice. It wouldn't restart until I plugged it into the mains and left it for a few minutes. Then I turned the wifi back on and it won't pick up my signal. The Kindle is about 10 feet away from my router and it never had a problem before!

I don't know what to do and I am going crazy! I've only had the Kindle a week! Can somebody please, please help me?
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
That's a bunch of stuff, so I would contact Amazon. Dealing with their customer service is a good experience imo. You don't even need to call them; they call you (there's a button for it on the Help page).
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Elflaede

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That's a bunch of stuff, so I would contact Amazon. Dealing with their customer service is a good experience imo. You don't even need to call them; they call you (there's a button for it on the Help page).
Even if you're outside the US? I'm in Europe.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
UK, France and Germany figure in their "call back" drop down list.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Your Kindle seems to be very unstable. Could be indexing/ downloading gone wrong or the unlightened cover. (You say you have 2,4 GB storage out of 4 GB, so that means you have about 5/600 books on the Kindle (?). Did you load them all at once?)

First things first: get your Kindle fully recharged; don't mind the battery-indicator. Then reboot once or twice.

Faulty cover?: get it out the cover at once and if that solves your problem; phone Amazon to get a refund.

Indexing/downloadproblems?
Check if all your books are indexed (by random search and delete all the ones that are not). If you can't delete the not-indexed books on your Kindle; do it through Calibre (that is, if you're using that). Otherwise you might try it through USB in the documentsfolder of the Kindle.

Downloadproblems: check wether a book is stuck downloading from archives to home or from Amazon to Kindle by----home-menu-view downloading items. That last one should be greyed out = all items downloaded. If it is not greyed out, click on it to see which one is causing the problems and delete them.

Also synch. with Amazon and check it your time etc. is properly set (sounds weird, but sometimes this makes a difference as well).

I hope this will solve your problems. If not; phone Amazon, they've got a good customerservice. They will phone you in Europe if you email them to say it'll cost you too much. Good luck

Last edited by desertblues; 01-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Elflaede

Thanks everybody for all the help. After about 2 hours, I think I have it fixed. I have the lighted cover but took it out just in case. I do have about 700 books on it but they were loaded over several days in batches of 100-200 with the kindle plugged into the mains overnight to allow it to index them.

I fully charged it, finally managed to check if there were any items indexing (there wasn't). I rebooted it and got the wi-fi working.

I scanned it in USB mode and did the check drive for errors thing. Then I plugged it into the computer and into Calibre and I noticed that 3 books that should have been on the Kindle were showing up as not on it. They hadn't been listed on a random search as not being indexed but I deleted them anyway.

Anyway, after this my books are back where they should be, the bookmarks are working and the Kindle is remembering my last read place again.

I'm going to put it back in the lighted cover now and hope it was those 3 books and that nothing else goes wrong! (fingers crossed!)

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elflaede View Post
........ Then I plugged it into the computer and into Calibre and I noticed that 3 books that should have been on the Kindle were showing up as not on it. They hadn't been listed on a random search as not being indexed but I deleted them anyway. ......
Good that it is resolved; I always get a bit (too) anxious if one of my ereaders has a problem.
Most of the time (with me) it has to do with books stuck from indexing/downloading. But also the bookguide of Feedsbooks.com once totally bricked my Kindle. Good luck with it, as it really is a nice ereader.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Elflaede

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Good that it is resolved; I always get a bit (too) anxious if one of my ereaders has a problem.
Most of the time (with me) it has to do with books stuck from indexing/downloading. But also the bookguide of Feedsbooks.com once totally bricked my Kindle. Good luck with it, as it really is a nice ereader.
Thanks. I was panicking alright. I'm kinda addicted to it!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Alison C
Enthusiast
Alison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite wifi
I'm glad you sorted your problem out, Elflaede. I just wanted to reinforce what others have said about Amazon customer support. I sent them an email about an issue I was having, and they responded saying it would be easier to resolve by phone.

I'm in Australia, so my immediate thought was "what's that going to cost me?" I had visions of the nightmare call-centre scenario: enduring tinny "music" while waiting endlessly on hold, then being told they'll transfer you to someone else and the call being lost - back to square one.

Amazon couldn't be more different. All you do is go to the "Contact us" section, select "phone", pick your country and type in your number. You then click a button asking them to call you "now" or "in five minutes". I selected "now", and within ten seconds the phone rang. The Amazon person was helpful, knowledgeable and efficient; he resolved my problem, and everything he said would happen did. Incredibly impressive; I wish more companies would do this. (Medibank Private and Velocity Rewards, I'm looking at YOU.)

So if you do encounter another problem in the future, don't hesitate to contact Amazon.
Alison C is offline   Reply With Quote