Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
timmib
timmib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
nook hd as a generic ebook reader

Greetings,

I am looking to replace a kindle dx with a new reader because I do not like the screen glare, I want to keep more of my library on the machine (epub and pdf), and I want to be able to cite references. I am thinking that a Nook hd 16g would serve the purpose if converted to a straight android device. I would like to use a reader to easily support research without having to take apart some bookmark/notes file and then interperlate back to a proper page number. Am I on the right track or are there other more appropriate solutions?

TIA

Kim
timmib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
As far as epub goes, all readers will only give you an approximate page number based on the size of your font. PDFs could be page for page, but a 7" screen would probably be on the small side for reading PDFs, unless they are strictly text.

You say you don't like the glare, but you want to go from e-ink to LCD? I have no problems reading on LCD screens, but a lot of people here complain about eye strain, etc.

You don't have to convert to straight Android either. HD supports Google Play, where you can install just about any reading app you want, including Kindle.

Nook HD also has an SD card slot. You can insert a 32 GB SD card and put all your stuff on that without having to buy the 16 GB Nook.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
timmib

Greetings KevinP,

Thanks for the reply.

I would really like to get away from a dedicated reader and I like the size of the kindle so I'd thought the nook would do the job handily. I haven't researched the app situation yet but presume google play will have something that works well enough for my needs. You're right that the 8 gb HD would probably be just fine. I don't really need a lot of books, or apps for that matter, for my style of reading.

Thanks again for your input.

Be well,

Kim
Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've had an HD+ since June. The tablet reader is quite a bit heavier than my Simple Touch (or even my Kindle Keyboard) making reading for long periods somewhat uncomfortable. I've been VERY happy with the larger format for reading magazines and craft/cookbooks in both epub and pdf form. I bought an app that lets me annotate pdf files as well.

Overall though, I wasn't screamingly happy with the HD. Its online capabilities certainly do not replace those of even a Netbook. The weight and size made it less portable. Can't fit it in my purse. The battery only lasted about 4-5 hours, which was a pain when it died when we were at the ER. I needed something that had backlighting as I was caring for a relative who has zero task lighting and it did serve that need. If your primary need is to simply read ebooks, I would stick with an ebook reader due to its size and readability (a lighted screen is a little harder on the eyes). If, however, you really do need the functionality of a tablet, it is an excellent option for the price. Certainly, an Ipad does better, but it is hundreds of dollars more.

Note: with similar use, the battery on the Simple Touch or Glo lasts about 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks. It depends on how many pages you turn or whether or not you have wifi enabled.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
timmib

Hello Tarana,

Thanks for your comments. I have been very happy with the Kindle size. Hence, I went with the Nook HD, not the HD+. I am looking for adapability and so far the Nook HD seems ok. Can't speak yet to readability in various lighting situations. I'm expecting there's some adjustments. We'll see.

Thanks again for sharing.

Be well,

Kim
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmib View Post
Hello Tarana,

Thanks for your comments. I have been very happy with the Kindle size. Hence, I went with the Nook HD, not the HD+. I am looking for adapability and so far the Nook HD seems ok. Can't speak yet to readability in various lighting situations.
Good choice! I love the size of the Nook HD. I put a Great Shield anti glare screen protector on mine, because the screen was very shiny. I find I can read on the HD in almost any lighting, even outdoors. I adjust the brightness level to where I need it. I think it's the best tablet I've had, so far.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
timmib

Greetings Booklover6,

Thanks for mentioning the anti-glare shield. I had forgotten about such!

It's supposed to rain here Sunday. A good day to play with the Nook.

Be well,

Kim