Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Ujjaini
Ujjaini
Ujjaini began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ipad launch and effect on Ebook reading device

I expect a sharp decline in prices of those available devices in comming 3-6 months.Fingers are crossed.
Ujjaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I think your time frame is short, but you are right. Apple tends to keep prices up on a new product until the next launch. But I hope that by the time my netbook needs replacing, there will be a second generation of ipad that will be physically a little smaller, or at least cheaper.
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I think the original poster meant they expected the price of other ereaders to drop rather than the ipad e.g the temporary pricedrop sony have given the pocket edition becoming a permanent change maybe.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Actually, I would hope that successive models of the iPad would remain the same size (so as to allow for new models to use old accessories and vice-versa) --- it would be nice to have a different model which was in-between the size of the iPod Touch and the iPad, but I'm doubting I'll get a Newton replacement in the foreseeable future.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Ujjaini
Ujjaini
Ujjaini began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I think the original poster meant they expected the price of other ereaders to drop rather than the ipad e.g the temporary pricedrop sony have given the pocket edition becoming a permanent change maybe.
Totallllly.....i meant that prices of e-ink technology based ereader are going to fall...
Ujjaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Well I just found out via Fat Wallet that Frys is selling the Sony Silver PRS 300 for $132.99.
The price is only for in store pick though. So maybe you are on to something.

http://www.frys.com/product/6002848

Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 03-25-2010 at 01:29 PM.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It is very reasonable to think that the price of e-ink devices will drop sharply due to the fierce competition they now face. Or else they wont sell. But that's good news for the consumer, right?
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I expect them to drop because PVI have managed to put Vizplex screens into true mass production now, and SiPix is simply cheaper.

But sure, blame Apple if you want.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's not only apple. There are so many tablet devices coming this year, haven't you noticed?
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Well I just found out via Fat Wallet that Frys is selling the Sony Silver PRS 300 for $132.99..

http://www.frys.com/product/6002848

Ellen
Link is not working. But even at $169.99, the PRS-300 is a steal. Fit and finish are pretty good. Great for moving around (only missing feature is 3G connectivity), but I tend to doubt that most manufacturers would foot the 3G bill, month after month, at that price point. Unless they design in planned obsolescence/failure. Which they do if they use Chinese factories. LOL.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Link is not working. But even at $169.99, the PRS-300 is a steal. Fit and finish are pretty good. Great for moving around (only missing feature is 3G connectivity), but I tend to doubt that most manufacturers would foot the 3G bill, month after month, at that price point. Unless they design in planned obsolescence/failure. Which they do if they use Chinese factories. LOL.
Sorry about the link. I had checked it before I posted. Maybe they changed it. I went back just now to find it again and it is no longer there. I guess they sold out or withdrew the sale.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote